Mrs Frugal

London Blasts

Well I'm pleased I was tied up today and couldn't log on until now so I could read every post in one go and find quickly that everyone seems to be ok, even after some narrow misses and some harrowing work to do in the next few days.

Daughter was in Cambridge for open day but fortunately GNER trains started running from Peterborough in time for her to get home today - even if she had to stand the whole way. Apparently the uni was offering free accommodation to any visiting 6th formers from London or who couldn't get home as planned :D

No one is unaffected by this sort of dreadful event. Thoughts and prayers with you all.

I am glad everyone is okay and accounted for but it brings it home.

I was in London at the beginning of the week and the meeting I went to on Wednesday was on Great Russell Street. It makes you realise how much luck and fate has to do with life. Some people chose to get off the bus and walk or get into the next carriage and it made them so lucky.

I was feeling great as I had missed all the Edinburgh trouble but this is so much worse.

I know it means giving in but I won't be going to London any time soon I am thinking of all of you and your friends/family caught up with things.

I sincerely hope so, but I've to admit to have always been a little bit tube-a-phobic, never really felt comfortable about using it, all that crowding, tunnels, sweaty armpits, rats scuttling around at night and thinking of "jumpers". I'm just so glad that I don't have to use it. I reckon lots of people were having to screw up their courage just to get on a train this morning. Certainly security's going to be on high alert, and I think the public will be being very vigilant, but it's scary to think that terrorists can, and will, just cold-bloodedly kill innocent victims on their way to work. I'm not sure what they set out to achieve, they didn't kill anyone high profile or important as far as I'm aware, there seemed to be no political message, or target.

Whatever, I hope this is the end of it.

I would imagine London will be the safest place in the world for the next few weeks and it would take a pretty determined terrorist to risk anything there again. What do you think?

I hope so - we will be in London Docklands for a wedding on 16/17 July, then pick up American relatives from Gatwick on 26 July and stay four night right next to the London Eye 5 - 8 August.

I might change to buses though instead of tube. I forced myself last time to go on the tube but I have night terrors as it is. I'm not scared of dying but I'd rather be trapped or injured above ground not underground.

I don't know how to catch a bus anymore though :oops:

You'll be fine in London Lesley. You literally just jump on the back of the bus and wait for the ticket man to find you.

I imagine buses where you are, are the same as here. You get on at the front and pay the driver your fare...far more sensible!

I prefer buses to tubes anyday.

When we went to Wimbledon a few years back, we were all forced to get off the tube for bomb scares when the IRA were still the biggest threat to London. It's scary and I don't like tubes anyway. You sit looking around for unattended bags and people acting strangely and there's more than enough of those these days in London, aren't there.

My heart goes out to those directly involved. I've been thinking of you Kate A, with OH in forensics, best wishes.

But, I am not going to be ruled by fear. Terrorists want fear, disruption & chaos. Kate has a point. London has been under threat since 9/11 and before. It still is, but not nec. more so, maybe less. Its more amazing that its been this long coming. There may well be other things to come. But I'm not going to spend everyday working out what they might be.

And targets are impossible to 2nd guess, so don't try. You can worry to death about going to London & go to Bali instead. :shock: Or a tree fall on your head at home, the day you cancelled London plans.

It feels scary enough taking some journeys after these events, let's not talk ourselves into panic.

The tube is an amazing facility and sometimes full to capacity, a brilliant way to travel across town. An obvious target, but then so are lots of other things. And the bus incident I find more horrific & a new danger.

Take sensible precautions then carry on as planned

No one knows when their time will come, it happens.

Of course, we're all shaken, but targets could be anywhere. Any idea why IRA blew up a bank & a rail link in St.Albans?

Let's enjoy every day & live life to the full, whilst obviously having great sadness for those in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lesley London buses have changed slightly you buy a ticket at a machine for 1.20 (at the bus stop) and it is valid for an hour you show it to the driver when you get on check the net for bus routes and numbers it is dead easy honest

No problem Lesley it seems 1.20 is the standard price for an hour whatever London bus you get its less for children but the machines are easy feed in the correct money and press for the type of ticket adult or children just like a parking ticket meter.

I hope those of you waiting for news are okay. I have found out someone I used ot go to college with hasn't been heard of today yet (another discussion group thing) I may drop her an email and check in case she is not online at the mo.

Well said Sheila.

We mustn't let the terrorist beat us. The tube is fantastic. I was born in London and lived there until I was 28. I travelled everywhere by tube and bus. The number 30 was actually my nearest bus route as a child.

I often catch trains into Brighton and Portsmouth without any concern. It could happen anywhere and we really must get out there and show the b******** that we will survive (and I know what I'm talking about, having suffered anxiety and agoraphobia after being robbed at knife point in a London street)

Yes, Lesley, hubby's fine thanks, tired, but adrenaline keeps you going, doesn't it. When he emailed me earlier he wasn't sure just how the day was going to pan out, so not sure when he'll get home.

It was a bizarre day yesterday though wasn't it, was there some earth movement that sent everything haywire, because everything I heard was bad news. For us the London blast was the biggest thing, but there seemed to troubles and anxieties everywhere, both big & little. Horrible day.

And the anxieties continue..... I popped into Bluewater earlier to get some bits from Lakeland, only to find all the alarms going, and mass evacuation underway, I didn't stay to find out what that was about.

But there are other lovely stories:

Yesterday evening hubby realised that his team hadn't eaten for some time, so popped to one of the sandwich bars to buy food for them all. When he got to the till he realised that he didn't have sufficient cash and the sandwich bar didn't take credit card. A lady in the queue behind obviously clocked the uniform, and paid for him! Obviously he took her details and he will pay her back, but what a kind gesture :):)

Apparently the river buses offered free transport to commuters, I was listening to one lady on the radio today saying how she and her colleagues took advantage of this. The guy commentating explained that there were free trips for commuters but since they were also carrying paying tourists the locals would have to listened to the cruise commentary, and she said it was a brilliant hour, a supportive crowd and actually very funny in places despite the circumstances.

There's more, like the drivers who put their destinations in their windows, willing to be stopped by walkers wanting to hitch a lift, and cabbies waiving fares.

So Londoners are rallying- good on 'em, and it's so good to hear the positive.

Sadness too, the number of people who contacted the radio, hadn't heard from friends/ family since yesterday, if they're listening please get in touch. I found myself welling up on more than one occasion I can tell you :(

Hi Kate - it's amazing how much kindness surfaces isn't it? I was reading the same topic on River Cottage forum and the same spirit was shining through. They obviously have a lot of London based members and offers of lifts or a floor for the night were made.

All those who have people still involved (and some of them must have really awful jobs to do right now) - say thanks from us :D

My college pal has showed up she was on the bus behind and whilst very shaken she is okay she was out of contact because the emergency services needed to speak to witnesses etc so she spent last night in a hotel.

I hope everyone else has luck with their friends

Just wanted to say Well Said to Sheila. If people start avoiding the tube, or not going into London, or cancelling plans, then the terrorists have won.

A quote from the statement by the people claiming to have committed the atrocities...."Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic...."

Oh yeah? Didn't look that way to me in Central London yesterday. It's not our style. We're upset, we're angry. But we are not frightened. We've been here before, and we know how to cope.

And anyone in Britain who reads that will either be amused or deeply offended at the suggestion.

It's our city and our way of life. Damned if a few lunatics with bombs are going to stop us from continuing to enjoy both of them.

Hi All

I've been on lates all week (1 week in 4) so i haven't been online since last weekend. Its unfortunate that my first post back has to be this one. But to all of you in London my thoughts and wishes are with you.

Last night i had to ring my friend in Brum to check he was ok after the incident there. This was in the early stages before anyone knew what was going on. Im very angry with the BBC for not issuing a News Flash, too much to expect them to interupt Casualty to inform people. I only found out because my partner was on the net and read it there and put on Sky News. I know where i shall be going for news updates in future. Anyway, it dosn'nt feel right to chat about my chickens week right now so i'll pop back on tomorrow. Night all.