Cyber Chook

Rescue cat - likely to come out of her shell?

First of all how truly lovely to have so many Happy Birthdays to Me. I'm really chuffed. Thank you :D:D:D

I'm so excited and proud to tell you all that on Satruday I went to another rescue centre, the Mayhew, but shy little miss tabby from Palmers Green had lodged herself firmly into my heart, and so today I went back (I was so worried overnight that someone else would take her before me, I could hardly sleep. She's been there a year so it was hardly likely) first thing in the morning and now, yes, she's coming to live with us as of this week some time!!!!!!!!

She came out from her hiding place today, and pulled out all the stops to persuade us to take her - she purred, head-butted our hands, and rolled over to show us her lovely caramel-coloured tummy, which we were permitted to tickle, so I think yes, she has chosen us, and I'm really happy, and hoping she'll settle and love us too.

Honestly it's like falling in love :lol:

Well, I'm talking here to people who'll understand.

Anyway, I have loads of questions now! Any advice gratefully received.

What kind of food is good? I'd prefer to stick with dry stuff, only because I imagine the wet kind might be a bit smelly?

Is the dry stuff okay to give all the time? If it is, should we go for the posh stuff from the vet (and is it a lot more expensive), or ordinary supermarket/whiskas-type of thing?

What have you found to be the best kind of cat litter? The rescue homes all seem to use wood pellets, but they didn't look that absorbent to me.

I got one of those litter trays, from freecycle, that has a high cover over it, I guess to keep smells down? Is the ordinary cat litter tray any easier to keep clean, or shall I stick to this covered one for now?

How do you deal with the cat poo? Do you pick it out as it appears, or clean it out once a day? Where do you dispose of it? And where do you dispose of the litter itself?

What kind of box is good for taking her to the vet? I see those wicker ones in charity shops sometimes; are they practical?

Should I wait a while for her to settle in, before taking her to the vet to be micro-chipped?

Pet insurance - any recommendations, and roughly how much might a good basic policy cost?

Hmm, is that enough to be going on with?

Oh, I just had a thought, I can show you her, she's on the charity's website page, and is the tabby on the right, called Sadie, sitting in a sunbeam and looking a bit depressed. (I loved Rosie too, but she has been homed already). Anyway, let me attempt to post the link...

http://www.animalhosteltrust.org/latest.shtml

Hope this works.

Caroline

First of all how truly lovely to have so many Happy Birthdays to Me. I'm really chuffed. Thank you :D:D:D

I'm so excited and proud to tell you all that on Satruday I went to another rescue centre, the Mayhew, but shy little miss tabby from Palmers Green had lodged herself firmly into my heart, and so today I went back (I was so worried overnight that someone else would take her before me, I could hardly sleep. She's been there a year so it was hardly likely) first thing in the morning and now, yes, she's coming to live with us as of this week some time!!!!!!!!

She came out from her hiding place today, and pulled out all the stops to persuade us to take her - she purred, head-butted our hands, and rolled over to show us her lovely caramel-coloured tummy, which we were permitted to tickle, so I think yes, she has chosen us, and I'm really happy, and hoping she'll settle and love us too.

Well done for deciding to take her, thats really great :D Have you decided on a name?Anyway, I have loads of questions now! Any advice gratefully received.

What kind of food is good? I'd prefer to stick with dry stuff, only because I imagine the wet kind might be a bit smelly?

I feed dry stuff as I heard years ago its good for their teeth I don't know how true that is its just stuck with me, every now and again I give the pouch food then they give me a guilt trip for putting the dry stuff down again :lol:

Is the dry stuff okay to give all the time? If it is, should we go for the posh stuff from the vet (and is it a lot more expensive), or ordinary supermarket/whiskas-type of thing?

I feed mine the mid-high end of the market, James Welbeloved is one we feed and the cats love it, you can get more expensive cat food but I feel once you get beyone a certain price its all the same really, I dont feed the cheaper complete foods such as go-cat/Whiskas although I have found the Sainsburys own more expensive food (in blue bags) seems to keep them in good condition if I am going through a skint phase!What have you found to be the best kind of cat litter? The rescue homes all seem to use wood pellets, but they didn't look that absorbent to me.

I got one of those litter trays, from freecycle, that has a high cover over it, I guess to keep smells down? Is the ordinary cat litter tray any easier to keep clean, or shall I stick to this covered one for now?

The covered trays are very good as they stop the litter being kicked everywhere, we take the door of of ours as they cant get to grips with it! After years of trial and error we use Catsan and think its fab

How do you deal with the cat poo? Do you pick it out as it appears, or clean it out once a day? Where do you dispose of it? And where do you dispose of the litter itself?

We clean the tray each morning, the poo is taken out with a holey scoop and goes in a nappy bag and then in to the normal rubbish, every week-10 days the whole tray is cleaned and all the litter goes in a nappy sack then the bin, the tray is disinfected and gets refilled with fresh litter

What kind of box is good for taking her to the vet? I see those wicker ones in charity shops sometimes; are they practical?

A plastic carrier can be kept cleaner and they are quite cheap

Should I wait a while for her to settle in, before taking her to the vet to be micro-chipped?

I would give it a week or so but the sooner you get it done the more reassurance you will have

Pet insurance - any recommendations, and roughly how much might a good basic policy cost?

We are with Petplan and find them very helpful, their cover is excellent so always compare this if you are looking at cheaper options, cover started at about £6 for our young cat however our old cat costs us £23 a month now!Hmm, is that enough to be going on with?

Best of luck!

Oh she looks gorgeous! And I'm so glad she was a bit more outgoing, she clearly feels she knows you a bit better now. Congratulations, and what a great birthday present.

OK, a few of your questions:

Dry food is fine, as long as you give them plenty of water to drink. I have had cats on the Hills diet etc but if the cat has no particular problems, then I believe the everyday stuff is fine. Ask what she's been used to in the shelter, because a sudden change might upset her tummy, you might be best to go on feeding wet food and gradually introduce the dry stuff over a week or so.

Re cat litter; there was a thread about this a while back, can't help on this one as my cat refuses to use a litter tray. I think those covered trays are good though as it cuts down on the amount of litter kicked out of the tray when it's used. When I have used one (sorry, when my CAT has used one! :oops: ) I used to pick out any poo with a poop-scoop and flush it down the loo, and then once a day just empty the whole tray, rinse it out and refill. It helped that I kept the tray in the bathroom, so the loo/water supply etc was all handy.

The litter should be bagged up and put in the bin, don't try flushing it down the loo! and you can't compost it.

Those wicker baskets are ok, if you can find one, but the plastic ones, while less glamorous looking are much easier to clean/disinfect. I used to have a wicker one though and it was fine, and they do give the cat protection while allowing it to see out.

I'd let her settle in for a week or so before taking her to the vet, are you sure the sanctuary haven't already microchipped her though? Whenever I've adopted a cat, they've usually been done already.

Can't help on pet insurance, as I've never bought it.

I'm sure some other cat-owners will be along with their views, which may differ from mine! I wish you joy of Sadie, she obviously thinks you are the owner for her, and that it was worth waiting a year to find you. Do post some pics when she's settled in!

Hi Caroline!

Hope you've been having a lovely day- I'm so pleased to hear your news! :clap: I've taken a peek at Sadie- bless her, she looks like she's desperate to be loved... she's a very lucky girl to have found you! She looks very pretty- hope you're going to bombard us with photo's!!

Mine get fed a complete cat food that I buy from my local pet shop- can't remember the name of it I'm afraid but it costs me about £20 for a months supply. They need nothing else but access to drinking water. They are very partial to some treats called whiskas temptations- they love the chicken & cheese flavour & will do anything for them!!

I don't use a cat litter because they all go outside but when they were small, we used an absorbent white litter just because it seemed to keep fresh for longer.

We haven't got pet insurance for our lot so can't help with that one I'm afraid...

Can't type any longer because Bertie has decided to fall asleep on my typing arm :roll::D

She came out from her hiding place today, and pulled out all the stops to persuade us to take her - she purred, head-butted our hands, and rolled over to show us her lovely caramel-coloured tummy, which we were permitted to tickle, so I think yes, she has chosen us, and I'm really happy, and hoping she'll settle and love us too. Sounds like she already has!

Anyway, I have loads of questions now! Any advice gratefully received.

We used to feed only soft, then went to a mix of both and now feed only the complete dry food. You have to make sure there is lots of fresh water though (we got a kitty water fountain off freecycle for our three cause I could never keep the water bowl filled quickly enough!

We get whatever's cheapest of the 'good' stuff: Whiskas, Felix, GoCat. As long as you are buying 'complete' food you'll be okay. If you aren't going to let her out, then you might want to get the indoor cat variety as it's more calorie conscious for indoor cats who tend to get a bit porky :) My daughter works in a posh cattery and she brings back some Royal Canin as a treat every so often and the cats go MAD for it. It does look like lovely stuff and the cattery feed it to all their breeding cats and boarders all the time but it is WILDLY expensive :shock:

What have you found to be the best kind of cat litter? The rescue homes all seem to use wood pellets, but they didn't look that absorbent to me.

As my cats are 'free ranging' I don't often use a litter tray, although we are at the moment cause Finn is giving us a bit of a hard time :vom: I use the deoderized 'clumping' stuff because then you can scoop out the used litter and leave the rest fresh. I check it once a day since I use a covered litter tray, like you mention below, so I neither see nor smell anything unless I check. The covered tray is a huge improvement on the open trays - they don't throw litter everywhere as well as not smelling. :clap: The high lid of mine just clips off and on for cleaning.

I scoop daily as used - although that isn't terribly often because they do have TWO cat flaps at their disposal. I get rid of the 'clumps' in a bag - i used to use nappy sacks that i had left over - and then tie them shut and put in the bin.

I used to have a wicker one, but the closing bit wasn't strong and we had an escape en route. :( I have a plastic box now with plastic closers that also act as hinges - easier to get kitty in and shut the door VERY quickly. I used a top closing one once and they could get out a lot quicker than I could get it shut!

My cats came micro-chipped already from Cats Protection. I would get her chipped before you let her out - just in case! I also use a reflective quick release collar that I've written our telephone number on - just in case!

never had it for any of our cats and never felt the need of it. They don't cover the sort of stuff you'd want to take a cat to the vet for regularly anyway - no jabs.

Hmm, is that enough to be going on with?

you've thought of lots - well done! A bit of cat nip never goes amiss when getting your new darling used to her new house. She'll get so blissed out that she won't remember to be too nervous!

Good Luck with Sadie - she's beautiful!

Happy Birthday, and so thrilled to hear your news :clap::clap: , she looks beautiful.

We have fed our cats on Hills Complete Science from day 1 with just water on the side anf they are thriving. It also stops them craving and begging for "people food", as their food looks so different :wink: .

We found some cat litter called citicat is really good, for the simple fact that the pieces don't get stuck in their paws so they don't walk it all round the house :roll: .

Pet insurance can be tricky. There are two types.

Cheap version 1) gives a set amount of money you can claim per illness. This can be a problem if your pet gets diabetes as once all the money for insulin injections is used up then that's it.

Version 2) Set amount of money you can claim per year, and then at the end of the year even if you have used up all your funds on just one illness, it resets for the next year.

The premiums are alot more expensive more version 2 though.

We have a version 2 type plan for both our cats (can't remember the name of the company at the mo, will have to look it up), but it does cost us quite a bit each year.

Hi Caroline, belated good wishes for your birthday yesterday :)

I am so thrilled you have chosen the shy cat, she looks lovely and in need of a loving home, I am sure you will spoil her something rotten. You have already had loads of useful replies but I'll just add mine. I feed Google on James Wellbeloved dry food because that was what the breeder recommended, I do give her a small amount of wet food twice a day but half the time she doesn't eat it :roll: The lidded litter boxes are great, I got mine new from Freecycle, it really does keep the litter in the box and not all over the floor, I use the grey bog standard cat litter from Sainsburys. Google is out in the garden most of the day so the litter box is really an emergency loo as she is not allowed out once it is dark, I empty the box as and when. I still haven't taken out pet insurance :oops: but I do intend to do this and will go with Petplan as there was a thread about insurance a while ago and they seemed to be the best. I have a vintage wicker cat carrier which does the job, you are very welcome to borrow it to pick her up, just let me know. I have seen carriers offered on Freecycle, you could try a wanted ad? If you are intending to buy a collar for her I think the ones that break apart if they get hooked on something are excellent.

Anyway it's all very exciting, I wonder what she'll make of your chickens? :shock:

Tessa

Yay, new cat!

We feed James Wellbeloved, Hills Science Plan and Iams on rotation - they get bored after a couple of months and I move onto the next one. Iams is pretty cheap if you buy in bulk and store it in a good tight container. Obviously we get through a bit more of it with the many kitties, so I don't need to worry about my 10KG bags going stale! Wet food is essentially the macdonalds of cat food. Mine get a pouch split four ways as a treat sometimes, but unless you go for super expensive wet food, it's not very good for them, and the poos are INDESCRIBABLE. DO NOT DO IT IF YOU HAVE A SENSE OF SMELL.

When we litter we use wheat based cat litter, like worlds best, as it's brilliant at keeping the smell down - but if your kitty has furry paws, she will walk it everywhere, so get a litter mat (about a fiver) to put in front of the tray. Pets at Home have them (and are the cheapest place for cat food too).

We have our cats insured with E and I (through money supermarket.com) and Argos. If she's over a year, Argos is probably your best bet. I have found the insurance to be worth it - Cleo ate some bone last year and had to be hospitalised for three days, sedated and x rayed and it cost nearly a thousand pounds (it was midnight. of course). We'd have to pay insurance on all of ours for four years before we got close to that, and I've claimed for Saffy being hospitalised with calicivirus and Arthur being bitten by a feral and Nero having a septic botty and Evie being killed since then. It's worth it for my peace of mind.

On the boosters front, we don't boost ours. I've read around the subject and have come to the decision that it's safer not to, but I've lost several cats to epithelial tumours (one of the things linked to annual boosters). That is just my choice on the research I've read though, and not a choice anyone should make on someone else's say so. Your vet is the best person to ask.

So glad you got her - she does look depressed in the photo, reminded me of my Winnie who we got when at cat rescue with a friend and no intention (honest!) of getting another cat, but she looked so depressed we just had to have her. It has been a joy for us watching her becoming friendlier and I am sure it will be the same for you and your lucky new addition to the family :clap:

Still forgotton to look at the name of our cat insurance policy but forgot to say that once a year they send us vouchers to be used at the vets for their booster jabs.

Just checked and the policy is run by Pinnacle Pet Heathcare

GOSH :shock: ! I didn't realise that there were policies that included jabs - when we looked we couldn't find any so I gave up. Thanks for the info, Mostin. I'll look into Pinnacle for our lot - I suppose we've been lucky so far and haven't needed to call on vets very often at all over the years (we've been lucky!).

Thank you everyone, what a lot to go on. I haven't been able to fight my way to the computer until now (two teenagers, one doing GCSE's and the other one 'A' levels....) but I've read all your helpful comments.

My little darling is being brought around by the charity's homing officer any moment now!! I haven't stopped, rushing around getting cat litter and a selection for tonight's menu. I'm so excited I haven't been able to eat other than a bowl of soup. Time for a nice cup 'o tea and then she'll be here...

When she's settled I'll get said teenagers to take and post some photos.

:D:clap::D:dance:

Caroline

Thank you everyone, what a lot to go on. I haven't been able to fight my way to the computer until now (two teenagers, one doing GCSE's and the other one 'A' levels....) but I've read all your helpful comments.

My little darling is being brought around by the charity's homing officer any moment now!! I haven't stopped, rushing around getting cat litter and a selection for tonight's menu. I'm so excited I haven't been able to eat other than a bowl of soup. Time for a nice cup 'o tea and then she'll be here...

When she's settled I'll get said teenagers to take and post some photos.

:D:clap::D:dance:

Caroline

Fantastic - best of luck and I hope it all goes well. I was reading this morning in an old Prima magazine that for her to have shown you her tummy is really good as it meant that she felt very comfortable. Also if you do a slow blink at her they really like that (I always do this with my cats) but don't stare :shock: like that because they don't like it.

Fingers and toes crossed that it goes well.

Just caught up again with this. So glad you went back for little shy Sadie - she looks lovely :D

My tubby Puddy is fed Hills R/D, much to her disgust because non-fat cat Loki gets Go-Cat/Whiskas or Iams biccies and more than just a smidge of wet food. As Loki's a picky eater, I have to rotate his wet food often or he won't eat it and will just follow me round the house yowling because he's hungry :?

I use a covered litter tray as Loki digs for Australia, with worlds best cat litter which forms clumps that you can just scoop out and flush down the loo.

I'm sure you've already bought her loads of things, but two toys mine go back for time after time are ping pong balls and wigglywagglers (available from ebay or catchat.com). Even tubby Puddy has been known to play with these if she thinks Loki's not looking!

Both of mine are microchipped, Loki with the new biochip that means no more thermometers (ouch!) and currently insured with Virgin.

Keep us posted about how she settles in and we'll expect loads of photos of a very happy spoiled cat :D

PS my two like the slow smiley blink too and usually blink back :D

if you do a slow blink at her they really like that (I always do this with my cats)

I had cats when I was younger, and I remember that I used to do this, and then I'd start to feel really, really sleepy. It was like slowly hypnotizing myself :D . Do you find yourself nodding off?

Well, we're all besotted with our new sweetie. I have to resist writing about her at the moment, as I have an 18th birthday to think about and get stuff ready for (not mine, I was 50 on Sunday as you know), much as I would love to, and could go on for a very long time, about her beauty and bravery and intelligence (she is, of course, the best in the world at all these things).

We love her already!! It's quite hard leaving the house, and I can't wait to get back to see her. It honestly reminds me of falling in love :oops::lol:

I'll post separately about a good insurance policy we've plumped for, after extensive (very extensive :roll: ) online research. But in a nutshell, Tesco offered good cover for a lowish premium (£8.80ish a month), but then next year it goes up by 20%.

Then I found a company called Animal Friends Insurance. They are a not-for-profit charity, and donate their profits to animal charities. Their premium was something like £8.30 per month, and this is one of those sort of Gold Level policies that covers conditions for life, not the sort that covers conditions for the first year only, or up to a certain level and then stops. Also, it has a generous holiday cancellation allowance, maybe £1500, which is good for us, as all our family are in Australia, Spain and America, so it's a big expense to visit them.

Got to go :D

Caroline

I'm sure you've already bought her loads of things, but two toys mine go back for time after time are ping pong balls and wigglywagglers (available from ebay or catchat.com).

Both of mine are microchipped, Loki with the new biochip that means no more thermometers (ouch!)

Tell me more, Dancing Cloud? I'll take her to the vet's in about a month, when we start letting her out, but I don't know anything about microchipping. Thermometer??!

She is nervous of venturing out of the front room. I expect she would be anyway, but she's been in the cat rescue place for a year, in one room, so it must all be so daunting for her.

I'll look out for those wigglywagglers, that reminds me, it's time again to order mealworms for the sparrows (start of breeding season) from Wiggly Wigglers :) . What a lovely time of year.

And get some ping pong balls too.

I do like the thought of being able to drop the litter down the toilet, so I'll have a go with World's Best when the CAtsan's finished.

Caroline

The biochip cost me about £5 more than an ordinary chip and means Loki can be scanned to find out his temperature rather than the usual rather undignified thermometer up the bum :shock:. They were not in existence when Puddy was chipped about 4 years ago, so she just hopes her temperature is never an issue :lol:

Puddy loves the ping pong balls specially for cats that are bright pink with other splashes of colour on them (sourced from ebay). She is not as taken with ordinary white ping pong balls - fussy madam that she is! They are light enough for her to smack around with little effort and small enough for her to hide them under the furniture, and have all the fun of watching me find them and dig them out.

Wigglywagglers are long knitted sausages with plaited tails and catnip inside. I have no idea why anyone thought to make them in the first place :idea:, but they are big enough for a cat to hug and get front and back paws to at the same time. Loki likes chasing the tails around his sisal wave (don't even ask), Pud just likes throttling them :evil: .

Loki had clearly been just a kitchen-and-cat-flap cat before he came to me from the shelter and it took him a while to get used to the rest of the house. He even did the classic "look behind the speakers to see where the sound was coming from" routine and insisted on watching me in the shower for months before he was reassured that I wasn't going to wash myself away. Now he's not in the least bit interested and the only thng that phases him is the hoover. Sadie's probably so stunned at her good fortune in finding such a good home, she doesn't want to move at the moment in case it's gone when she comes back - she'll soon feel secure enough to explore :D