Cyber Chook

Rescue cat - likely to come out of her shell?

Can I ask what people think about cats and their personalities?

I'm looking at cats in rescue centres at the moment, hoping to find a 2 year old +, and today I found a sweet tabby. She's been there for a long time, over a year, and is quite shy, but apparently she hasn't ever lashed out at anyone, and she seems gentle-natured. She's been living in a room with other rescue cats, and has her own little space. She let me stroke her after a little while, and rolled over, but perfectly understandably she looked nervous and timid.

(They think she's about 3, and I don't think they know much about her background. She's had all her injections, and has been spayed).

I liked her a lot, but I'd prefer a cat that wasn't overly delicate and jumpy really. Another cat in there (who now has a new home to go to), came over to say hello and was purring and chatty, which is the kind of cat I'm hoping for.

I have an appointment at a big rescue centre on Saturday, so I'll probably go along to that as well.

What I'm wondering is, do you think that once she's in a settled home, she might come out of herself and become bolder and more relaxed, or do you think cats tend to more or less stay the way they are?

Caroline

I think she sounds as if she will be quite shy always. The outgoing ones are great to rehome but I always feel sorry for the shy ones too. One of our cats is very outgoing to allcomers into the house and the other is awful for strangers full stop and disappears and at the vets he growls at everyone in sight whether they are looking at him or not but would not touch them!. He is just a big WUS.

:lol:

I think it is difficult to tell if she would be different in a settled home. Some animals in rescue homes find it more difficult than others, although I think this is worse for dogs than cats, and you do say she has been there a year, so I suppose she regards it as her home :(

I also have a theory that cats choose their owners, not the other way around :D so maybe she just didn't feel that you were the 'one'. If you don't rehome shy cat, I hope you find the right one soon.

Tessa

I took one of each as I felt sorry for the timid one, She will come for a stroke but is not a big fussy type, and is very wary around anyone else but us. She likes a game though. The one that was really fussy still likes fuss but even he gets a bit scatty if anyone stange or loud or tall comes to the house.

Im no help really as even though I always want the ones that like a fuss I always go home with the left overs as I feel sorry for them.

I've 3 rescue cats, and they're totally different, two are sisters, and one is so friendly, she's rediculous, whilst the other is great with me , but a scaredy cat with everyone else. Tabba, the 3rd one, has taken 3 yrs to settle, and we love her to bits, she's a real character, and we wouldn't be without her! she still bites a bit...... now and then...... but she did have a rotten start.

Go with yr gut, if little miss shy has caught yr heart, then, you, my friend, are done for!!

Maybe go back and see the little tabby again? She obviously caught your eye :D

Loki definitely picked me at the shelter and he is quite outgoing generally. Puddy likes very few other people but she can be a real little love with me (with occasional teeth in the arm :shock: ). Maybe the tabby girl didn't want to be too friendly too soon, especially if she's been there a while and not found a home yet. Pud was shy and withdrawn when she first showed up in my garden and is now a spoiled demanding little madam. You should hear how the pathetic whimpers become strident demands if the service isn't quick enough! :lol:

I think the fact that she let you stroke her suggests that she's not too timid, and she'd probably be a little bolder once she'd settled into your home. Some cats wouldn't let you near them, let alone allow you to stroke them.

My cat is lovely, talkative, outgoing and affectionate with me, but if anyone comes that he doesn't know, he won't come into the house, especially if there are children around. Sad really as they will say 'where's your cat, then?' and I have to explain that he is rather shy!

It sounds to me as if she's already got her paws on your heartstrings, you wouldn't be asking if you weren't thinking about going back for her! As Tessa says, cats choose their owners, and if she's the one for you, you'll know.

I wonder why she's been there so long - she definitely deserves a lucky break. At least you know she's been thoroughly checked out and they know her personality.

What a wise lot you are :D

Your messages have either made me laugh out loud or smile or nod in agreement sitting here at the 'puter. I can't stop thinking about her, so you're spot on with what you say. I went back again later on with my oldest daughter (17), who liked her but did think she was a bit too shy, and I'm thinking I'll take younger daughter (16) along to meet her tomorrow and see how they get along.

The thing is, the cat's in a room, in a house, which has been turned into a mini cat rescue place, and there was an EXTREMELY bouncy and loud dog barking right outside the door, and the cat also didn't seem to like living with six other cats, and I think she might just be a bit, well, sad, or depressed.

Yes, Freddie and Tessa and all, as you can see, she does seem to have found her way into my heart....

They said they'd have her back if we found we didn't suit each other. Not that I think I'd have the heart to return her :(

My daughters wear a lot of black. Do you get used to wearing cat hairs on your clothes?! It's been a long time since I had a cat, and my two were black anyway.

My OH wanted a ginger and found a lovely 2 yr old tom at our RSPCA, who came with his tabby sister. Ginger is outgoing friendly and just wants love. Tabby is shy and skittish but loves men. For some reason she doesnt seem keen on me but will sit on my knee and let me brush her when shes in the mood. The shy ones need homes too, the pushy ones always get taken first, and I dont think we'd have had her without him, they came as a package. She may be very instituinalised, but if you have a nice quiet home may come out of her shell. If you like me have nosiey sprogs she may not be cat for you

Harvey came from woodgreen animal shelter (think he was about 3 or 4 when I got him) in 2000. When i chose him they warned me that he wasnt a very cuddly cat, but he pretty much picked me so I thought id give it a go anyway.

To be fair he spent 3 weeks behind the sofa when I got him home, but he eventually surfaced and with the help of some cheese (his favourite thing in all the world) and lots of love he soon came out of his shell.

Within another 2 weeks he was following me around the house chatting away and nipping 2 doors down to sit in the kitchen with their dog (we didnt get Grace until later). He's been the same ever since, laid back, chatty (he's part burmese / part tabby) and VERY cuddly :D

Cat hair ... yes, just like dog hair it gets on everything you own .... even the things you havent worn for years!!! then theres the paw prints over your freshly cleaned kitched floor, the fur balls coughed up in the middle of the landing (only to be found at 2 in the morning on the way to the loo) and the fact that they will like the food youve bought one day and hate it the next ... all in all a small price to pay for having animals in your life though :wink:

I can't stop thinking about her, so you're spot on with what you say. I went back again later on with my oldest daughter (17), who liked her but did think she was a bit too shy, and I'm thinking I'll take younger daughter (16) along to meet her tomorrow and see how they get along.

The fact that you are taking your other daughter back says it all really. You're hoping she'll say that the cat is right for you.

If you didn't really want her, you would have been relieved when your first daughter said she was too shy and that would have been the end of it.

Go with your instincts, you know you want her. The fact that she let you stroke her is a really good sign, and she may well come out of her shell when she feels settled and is the only cat in her household. She may never be that "in your face" type of cat, but she's unlikely to be any shyer than she is now.

it really does sound like she's chosen you

Any chance of you taking both cats? Many folk feel that 2 are in some ways easier to care for than one (though double food, double mess in litter tray, potentially double vet bills) - a more confident cat can help a shyer cat and they are company for each other, which is especially important if you are out for any part of the day. Just a thought.....

Thank you again for more great comments, all helpful, although now i want your cats please, can you send them asap? :lol: .We're quite a quiet and laid-back household really, so I think she'd be in with a good chance with us and we with her.

I'll go to the Mayhew on Saturday, just to make it all that bit harder, and then make a decision next week. Has anyone here had any experience with the Mayhew (rescue centre in Maida Vale)? I work with a lady with Alzheimer's, in a care home, and every Friday volunteers come with dogs (who need rehoming) for petting by the elderly residents. I look forward to their visits, but then always want to take one of the dogs home :roll: . They're always the sweetest natured dogs, and generally small, because sometimes they like to jump up on laps and roll over for tummy tickles, so they mustn't be too heffalumpy.

Okay, time to stop daydreaming, I only managed to persuade Mr Cyber Chook to get a cat after years of wearing the poor chap down, so it's one step at a time with Operation Small Menagerie.

Although come to think of it, I'm 50 on Sunday, so maybe I should take advantage of the abundant goodwill towards me and strike while the iron's hot... hmmm :think:

P.S. UNfortunately no, Mr CC would definitely put his size 10's down at two cats, SAB, and you must not tempt me :D

I've had a few rescue cats, Cicely, my grey girl, was extremely timid when we first got her. She's a lovely cat and we've had to go very gently with her. She's much bolder than she was and will now come in to the room whilst we have visitors. We got our friends to feed her treats that she finds irresistible and it's gradually allowed her to build up a bit of trust with people she's not used to on a day to day basis.

We did have a few issues with her weeing on the duvet when we first got her :roll: . We did some research and discovered that it was just her timid way of trying to mark her new territory. We made sure she had no access to the bedrooms for a bit and the problem was sorted out fairly quickly. Don't let that put you off! It's so rewarding giving an introverted cat a new start and watching them blossom!

She's a real little character now! :D

We got our friends to feed her treats that she finds irresistible and it's gradually allowed her to build up a bit of trust with people she's not used to on a day to day basis.

That's a great idea. Your three are gorgeous, Groovy Chook, by the way, real beauties; tabbies and blacks are my favourites, and the splodgy dark tortoiseshells too. Oh, I see now, on closer inspection, yes, Cicely's grey, what a lovely colour too.

C

well happy birthday for Sunday, CyberChook - what a great way to celebrate, by getting a new pusscat!

She sounds like she's going to come home with you anyway ... don't know anything about the rescue centre, I'm afraid. Post some pics when you've got her home, please!

Just caught up with this and the little tabby sounds purfect and as if she already should have moved in with you. You know you want her really :D

Happy Birthday for Sunday and I hope you get a cat (especially the little tabby - I'm sat next to my tabby, not always the most friendliest to other people but stuck like glue to me) :D