Karen1

My first veg!

I haven't been able to use the forum much lately, due to being very busy at work. Anyway, things are quieter now, so I thought I'd post an update on my garden. This is the first time I've had a garden, and the previous owners made a large veg growing area, so I thought I'd better use it :)

I didn't know what I'd be able to grow, so I planted lots of seeds to see what would happen. These are all the things I'm growing from seed, some more successful than others:

White onions, red onions, red spring onions, leeks, 2 different types of beetroot, swedes, turnips, rocket, assorted lettuces, radishes, sweetcorn, purple French beans, peas, sweet bell peppers, various types of chilli peppers, pumpkins, 2 types of courgettes - long ones and round ones, calabrese, romanesco broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, butternut squash, 3 different types of carrots and 9 different varieties of tomato. I've also grown a selection of herbs including basil, chives, coriander, dill, marjoram, mint and sage.

There are 2 mature grape vines (one red and one white) that were there when I moved in. I've pruned them and looked after them, now there are so many grapes growing, I'll have to buy some wine making equipment! Oh, and there are some potatoes growing that must have been left over from last years crop, planted by the previous owner. I didn't know what they were - I thought they were weeds until I pulled one up and found little potatoes on the end of it :)

All these to look after, plus the flowers and shrubs as well. Not to mention the chickens. I think I've gone a bit over-the-top, although it's very satisfying eating veg I've grown myself :D

:) It probably sounds more impressive than it really is - not everything has been that successful, but I'm sure things will get better with experience, and when I get to know which veg grows best in the type of soil :)

I'll try to put some pics in the gallery.

I dunno Lesley, It looks better after the renovations but the guy who owns the land next door (the garden ends where the cabin is in the pics) takes no care of his patch and he lives miles away so it becoming a sea of various weeds :oops: I was out yesterday clearing the ragwort from his patch to stop it spreading especially into where the girls are. I get really mad with him as I end up taking care of his land because he is irresponsible :evil:

I must get a barrier up so I can't see it then I will worry less. I don't want a fence as it is too stark some sort of living barrier with fuschias and forsythia is what I am planning but it will take a few years to grow big enough :shock:

Sounds lovely Jane, I don't have to worry about the neighbour coming near in 3 years he has visited his land once and that was because I wanted to have a couple of HIS trees pollarded. Not only did I have to get his permission then apply to the council as they are listed trees I also had to pay for it as he refused :evil: Definitely no love lost there as they were in a dangerous condition and bits kept falling into my garden. You don't want an oak tree branch crashing down on you when hanging out the washing :shock:

This is the first time I've had a garden. I didn't know what I'd be able to grow, so I planted lots of seeds to see what would happen

I don't want to steal your thunder Louise, but I just wanted to go back to the original posting from Karen, just to say what an inspiration she is!

I'm just reading The Square Foot Gardener (thanks to Lesley) as I am a true beginer, with a garden I've never had before, and come next spring I want to start my own veg growing.

I'm just trying to clear out some of the stuff in the garden that's got too big - and what a tough old job that it - and then I'm going to make my squares to plant my veggies in.

Good to know it can be done by a novice!

Lauren and Jake's plots are looking really good Gina and very productive. Jakes plot is in total, about two and a half square feet (I had to move his boundary to include some of the red onions as Lauren had some in hers :roll: ) Laurens is just over four square feet. They are both growing:-

onions

carrots

dwarf french beans

climbing beans

sunflowers

lettuce

and Lauren has one square just for a shared courgette plant.

I'm just reading The Square Foot Gardener (thanks to Lesley) as I am a true beginer, with a garden I've never had before, and come next spring I want to start my own veg growing. QUOTE

Hi Lesley

We want to start growing our veggies / etc., next year and this square foot gardener thingy :roll: sounds like a good idea - can you point me in the right direction? Ta ever so :D

Good to know it can be done by a novice!

Hi Gina - glad to hear you are going to start growing veg. It can be done by a novice, particularly if you get lots of advice from experienced gardeners (lots on this forum), and are prepared to work hard :)

When I first planted veg seeds in small pots, I was so keen for them to grow, I kept moving some of the soil to see if they had germinated (not a good idea, really). I got so excited when the first shoots started coming up. When I planted the young seedlings out into the garden, I was completely paranoid about them getting attacked by various creatures and diseases, mainly due to a work colleague telling me about all the things that can go wrong. He told me about all the chemicals, sprays and slug pellets I should use, but I wanted my veg to be completely organic, so I read up on companion planting, and used fleece to cover carrots, etc. I'm pleased to say that apart from a few leaves being eaten by slugs, and a couple of courgette plants dying off for no apparent reason, most things seem to be growing quite well so far :)

Probably just beginner's luck! :D

Sounds excellent Karen!

You do have to try these thing out don't you - even if you get some negative feedback from people. I can't wait to start my veggies off, and will go through all the same emotions as you :lol:

I've done well with my bedding plants this year. All grown from seed - petunias, busy lizzies, begonias, lobelia, gazanias, salvias, geranimums, and some trailing stuff I can't remember the name of now!

I've had a look at your veggie pics in the gallery Lesley - can we have an update now please! I bet they've really come on haven't they.

Re slugs, I've started putting down the anti-slug matting you can get and it works really well. It's apparently laced with copper wires which they don't like crawling on because it acts like an electric fence to them! (I also have a garden frog which helps). You buy it in rolls and cut it to fit round individual plants or under pots. I've even cut a long slice down the middle of one stip so the radishes can poke their heads through. It also seems to keep the weeds down, although you do have to water quite carefully. Most garden centres seem to stock it but I get mine from the HDRA catalogue online.