HappyHen

Empty Nestbox

I've had my girls 10 days now and have been using barley straw in the nestbox. They just kick it out though! It drops into the poo tray or blocks up the door. Now one of them has started laying and the egg is just sitting on plastic! Has anyone else experienced this? Shall I continue to use the straw or just give up?

they'll come to no harm with just the plastic. that's what I do just now on account of running out of shredded paper...

others do the same and I don't think the chickens actually give a "monkeys"

the only possible problem is with chickens who like to lay their eggs from a height!! - you might get the odd cracked one - but mostly they'll be fine!

Phil

Thanks Ali - good idea. They do seem to poop in the box. I let them off though as one of my girlies has now layed 3 eggs! Was funny last night having to share 3 poached eggs between 4 people as "Ooops, word censored!"ody was prepared to wait for the 4th egg! They were yummy.

How funny :lol: I love mine poached also :wink:

UPDATE - the nest box might be empty of straw but I've found another egg! :D:D It's my first 2 egg day!! And guess what.....it was really warm aawwwwwwwww :D

I think it's the Bluebelle and the Sussex Star who are laying as their combs have grown and become redder. Extra corn treat tonight I think!

I put shredded paper in both the poo tray and nest box. I only put it in the nest box, because Darling seems to prefer laying from a height, so the paper breaks the fall, and the eggs don't get smashed.

I only use shredded paper (the nice soft stuff that comes from cross cut shredders!) and the girls are very happy with that. And it can all go in the compost bin when they are done with it.

There you go identity fraudsters, try getting my details after my chickens have seen it - no better method! :lol::lol:

I am with you there Andrew - and if any id fraudster gets my details from pooped on shredded paper then they deserve it!!!!!