The Dogmother

Claret's chicks

Aaahh, they're so beautiful! Well done Clare, and well done Lavinia! :D We would really like to hatch some chicks. When I was a child we had an incubator and it was my job to turn the eggs every day. It was always very exciting when they hatched. Keep us up to date with their progress.

(ps Who were you referring to when you said you had emailed 'old superpants'?!!) :?

:lol: Linda; 'old Superpants' is our Kate - she's the only one who can make the new forum do anything.

Andrew - there's no way to sex barnie chicks this early, so we'll just have to wait and see..... you'll have to speak to Lesley about that.

Today's news; the chicks are all much stronger this morning and ventured out into the run. I gave them some chick crumbs inside the Rablu last night and they wolfed them down as Lavinia showed them how to peck. This morning, I turfed Lavvy out for a walk and some food - the little 'uns went tumbling out after her - Awwwwwww, they were so cute! Phil is going to try to get a video of them outside. One of the barnie chicks looked a bit like he had splayed legs last night, and I was prepared to hobble him this morning to rectify it, but he now looks ok. We are keeping a watchful eye on that though.

Biscuit, the kitten, is watching the chicks through the run mesh and licking his lips :roll::twisted:

:lol: Linda; 'old Superpants' is our Kate - she's the only one who can make the new forum do anything.

Sometimes :lol::lol::lol: ! Some things are impossible even for the pants of power :lol::lol: ! The gallery, unfortunately, is one of them at the moment but hopefully James can do some twiddling and sort out the gremlins for us.

The chicks are divine, Clare! Love them all to bits and that's a delightful photo of Rosie with Herbert :D !

Well, Phil didn't get round to uploading the photos yesterday, so no new ones yet, but I promise to take some more today and upload them tonight.

The news.... little Herbert is growing proper feathers in his wings - there are tiny quills poking through now - I'm a bit sad that he is growing up and will lose his baby fluff, as he is so cute and soft. The Barnies (I think Rosie has nicknamed them Bit and Bob) are bigger this morning and have longer legs now. I put a dust bath in the run last night as Lavinia has let her grooming go over the last three weeks while she has been brooding. This morning, they were all in there enjoying the dirt and scratching around. It is so lovely to see Lavvy teaching the littlies to scratch and forage.

One of the barnies managed to poke his head through the run mesh yesterday and I am concerned that if Biscuit doesn't get it, then it might end up strangling itself, so Phil is going to bring two long pieces of wood over from his hoard to put along the bottom of the run mesh.

The chicks are able to peck up indigo wheat now, so I am going to order some mealworms to give them extra protein.

OK, so here's the latest update, with photos (Phil's lot from yesterday will have to be out of sequence as he hasn't got his act together :roll: )

Alll three chicks are getting bigger just as you look at them, and they are all sprouting quills along their wings just like teenage stubble. They are still cute little balls of fluff, but not for much longer...

Lavinia teaching them to peck

Laviniateachingthemtopeck.jpg

What was it Spike Milligan said about 'a bird in the Strand being worth two in Shepherds Bush'?

Abirdinthehand.jpg

We had to put boards round the Rablu run as the silly little things kept poking their heads through the mesh

Rabluwithboards.jpg

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to stop a tiny chick from jumping out of your hand while you take a photo :roll: