The Dogmother

Claret's chicks

OOH OOH OOH OOH!!!

Was on the internet trying to rule out breeds that chick might be and found this!!!!

http://forum.rivercottage.net/viewtopic.php?t=19362&sid=d8820f2a43071ccbc4d62a22d479f1eb

Now the wyandottes look NOTHING like Chick as a baby, but the nankins.....

And then I found this!

http://www.countryfayre.co.uk/module-Breed-display-breed_id-380.html#more

Doesn't that pullet look like chick to you? :shock::):D

Fingers crossed folks, we might need to think of a name for Chick! I want to keep Chick, I want to keep Chick....

It's been a long time since I posted any photos - mainly because it's either dark or I'm in a rush!

Here's the latest on the chickies - be warned - they have really grown!

Herbert is nearly as big as his mum now!

Herbert-1.jpg

I think he's getting a top knot, but it's difficult to tell - perhaps it's just a bad hair day

Herbertisabigladnow.jpg

The barnie chicks now look the same despite hatching with different colouring

Thebarnies.jpg

You can see their relative size quite well here - the chicks are all big now. The barnies still try to snuggle under Mum at night, but Herbert goes it alone and just snuggles up

Laviniaandthechicks.jpg

Poor Lavinia is moulting and growing through her new winter collection. She needs some 'me time' and a few beauty treatments I think!

Phew! Just rescued this before it went off the end of the page!

Well, we've been out in the garden this afternoon, Rosie and I - clearing a bed at the end for the winter and sowing some wildflower seeds there for next year.

We also let the chicks have their first freerange with mum - we locked Biscuit in the house first though! They seemed to love it and met their aunties for the first time too. I was almost prepared to let them all go in the Eglu together tonight, but that would've been tempting fate I think - so we'll have a few more days out together like this then put them in together.

Having seen Lesley's barnie chicks yesterday, they all look the same to me - girls! But one of ours has a smaller tail and larger comb, which I read is the sign of a boy - so we'll wait and see.

Herbert is getting quite a big comb now and his voice is getting a bit croaky, so probably a boy. We clipped his wing today - he's pretty flappy and has an excellent power to weight ratio :roll:

Herbert is now very big!

BigHerbert.jpg

Chickies out with Mummy and Aunty Ruby

babiesfirstfreerange.jpg

Chicksfirstfreerange.jpg

Herbert has a fluffy botty too

Herberthasafluffybottoo.jpg

Herb has had his wing clipped - note the load of logs!

herbertwingclip.jpg

Look at the state of this patio!tutslookatthestateofthispatio.jpg

Biscuit being elegant! Note, this is a last photo of his nadgers - they're coming off on Wednesday! (the carpet is only a temporary s"Ooops, word censored!"!)

Biscuitbeingelegant.jpg

Sorry, loads of photos this time!