cloud

Cats and chicks, do they mix?

Hi,

I new here and new to all things chicken, but OH has been lusting after having hens for some time now and we're about to move somewhere that might just be more suitable.

However, we have two cats, who seem quite intent on decimating the local wildlife. They've not caught anything larger than a mouse so far (least nothing they've brought home for approval), but the Tom sits eyes up the pigeons that sit on our fence and makes loud clacking noises.

From what I've read here cats and chickens seem to cope, but is there any advice on how to introduce hens to cats? For example, how long after moving home do you think we should wait before adding hens to the cats and stirring?

Edited by Guest

Hello and welcome :D moving house is really stressful I reckon and I think you're supposed to keep your cats in for about a fortnight before you let them out, to be honest once you've got the cats settled just go for it, or you could even consider getting the hens first so that the cats just assume the chickens were always there. I have a ferocious tabby tiger that catches squirrels and owls :evil: but even he doesn't tackle the hens and I've got bantams as well as large fowl. He thought it was his lucky day when they first arrived and stalked them and pounced too, but a couple of well aimed pecks on the nose, plus the fact that the hens leapt STRAIGHT up into the air (and they are quite big :D ) and he soon left them alone. He now goes out whilst they're free ranging and doesn't bat an eyelid. Or a whisker!

Once you're all settled you'll have to let us all know what you get (hen-wise I mean) and then we'll start demanding pictures! :roll::D

BeckyBoo

I had four cats while I was living at my sisters and we had no problems, as a matter of fact the girls would taunt the cats by giving them the call "tsk, tsk, tsk" almost as if to say "here kitty, kitty" then as soon as one of the cats would approach all of the girls would gather together and flap their wings, quite a formidable foe.

My Floppy is their guardcat! She lets me know if anything is wrong when she runs into the house meowing at me! LOL! She sits on the garden table, looking remarkably like a sphinx guarding the pyramids! The last time she did it, there was a dog barking right on the other side of the wall, and the girls were all huddled up in a corner, looking a bit too frightened to go anywhere. She doesn't go anywhere near them though, as I think she knows about being hen-pecked!

I think it depends on the nature of the cat as well, Floppy is naturally rather lazy, and has never bought home any unwelcome guests...

Hope this helps, Amy

Everyone, Thank you. You so much put my mind at rest. Although I am now just a little worried about the safety of the cats :shock:

We'll let the cats (and us) get well settled in before taking on new members of the family. Three weeks at least before letting that cats out, if we can manage it. They need to feel safe at their home, so I guess we should let them explore their new environment fully before introducing beaks and feathers.

If I can I'll try to capture the moment of introduction. If I do I'll try to post the pictures here :D

First steps at introducing our cats to the hens have, mostly, gone smoothly.

Hattie the cat is feigning disinterest we can tell she's curious

hattie.jpg

Augustus is rather more interested and has been trying to stalk them (everything is a game for him)

augustas_hen.jpg

I have been keeping a broom ready but so far he's not pounced. The hens themselves seem cautious but not overly concerned.

We'll let them mingle more but only under strict supervision. Mostly we've been keeping the cats locked up (when they're usually asleep, so they've probably not noticed). I'm hoping the novelty will soon wear off.

I wouldn't even worry about the 'stalking' cat. Can YOU get near a hen without it spotting you from several feet away? Wellington the inveterate mouser had one attempt at 'stalking' my first ever hens. The furious flapping, squawking and menacing response that he received when he attempted to pounce has scared him off for life - he won't go near them now if they're free ranging, and even gives the WIR a wide berth when they're shut in.

I think we're getting there. The hens are mostly ignoring the cats now and the cats are getting more used to sharing 'their' garden. Hattie was even chased by Ginger rather than the other way around. It's clear the hens are not scared of the cats but I'm still a little worried that the cats are taking a little too much interest.

Then again, it could be that we're still spending all our free time watching them, and the cats are just joining in the fun!

They are very entertaining. Coco was running round and round the outside of the run today. I think she did three laps one after the other. They've also started to take an interest in what I'm doing and sometimes just come over to watch (hoping for some treats I bet).

Hi,

I new here and new to all things chicken, but OH has been lusting after having hens for some time now and we're about to move somewhere that might just be more suitable.

However, we have two cats, who seem quite intent on decimating the local wildlife. They've not caught anything larger than a mouse so far (least nothing they've brought home for approval), but the Tom sits eyes up the pigeons that sit on our fence and makes loud clacking noises.

From what I've read here cats and chickens seem to cope, but is there any advice on how to introduce hens to cats? For example, how long after moving home do you think we should wait before adding hens to the cats and stirring?

In my experience, there were no issues :D