xraylady

Request for update on rubberized bars

How are the PlastiDip coated roosting bars holding up, Brookside Roasters? Do the chickens ever try and peck at the coating?

I have one more coat to spray on before I leave them to completely dry/get rid of all fumes for a week.

My girls should arrive Oct 12th/13th so, of course, my level of neurotic over-anxious worrying (will they be OK? have I got everything they need? will they love me?!?!) is reaching new heights.

I swear, I am as eagerly anticipating their arrival, as I was the birth of my 3 children! It is nice NOT to be 9 months pregnant though. PLUS I don't have to go through another C-section! Yay!!

But I do think my excitement is, just a teeny-tiny bit, psychologically unbalanced?! Just a wee bit . . .

Still, back on this side of sanity, it would be great to get an update on how well the coating is staying on. (So that I can obsess about something else for a while.)

Thanks a bunch,

Sarah

T-7 & counting. . . Can't wait, can't wait. can't wait. . .

How are the PlastiDip coated roosting bars holding up, Brookside Roasters? Do the chickens ever try and peck at the coating?

I have one more coat to spray on before I leave them to completely dry/get rid of all fumes for a week.

My girls should arrive Oct 12th/13th so, of course, my level of neurotic over-anxious worrying (will they be OK? have I got everything they need? will they love me?!?!) is reaching new heights.

I swear, I am as eagerly anticipating their arrival, as I was the birth of my 3 children! It is nice NOT to be 9 months pregnant though. PLUS I don't have to go through another C-section! Yay!!

But I do think my excitement is, just a teeny-tiny bit, psychologically unbalanced?! Just a wee bit . . .

Still, back on this side of sanity, it would be great to get an update on how well the coating is staying on. (So that I can obsess about something else for a while.)

Thanks a bunch,

Sarah

T-7 & counting. . . Can't wait, can't wait. can't wait. . .

You're not unbalanced - I think we all had the same fears and neuroticisms before the chickens came - I know I did!!

I put the first coat of Plasti Dip on my spare set of bars last night - went on really easy and coated well.

I've used the Plasticote on other things before but have found I needed to use a sealer top coat to make them weather proof.

The Plasti Dip seems to be more "rubbery" feeling and certainly flexes well where as I have found Plasticote tends to crack if bent too much.

............guess it's gonna depend on how heavy your chooks are :lol:

Had a rush of blood to my head whilst out shopping today. Went to Hobbycraft and got some Plasticote Spray (Clear).

Have given 2 sets of roosting bars the scrubbing of a lifetime. They are now drying in the garage.

When they are completely dry I shall treat them with Plasticote, allow them to dry thoroughly and then see how it goes.

PS.... bought 2 christmas decorations too so I suppose I can say I have started my Christmas Shopping.......Depressing.

Have one set of Plast dip bars back in the eglu - blue colour goes wonderfully with the purple eglu :lol:

Am in the process of doing the second set of bars - smells wonderful (Sarah) - probably very addictive and not at all good for you!

The bars that are in the eglu do seem easier to keep clean - not a lot sticks :lol: and water just runs off when you've finished cleaning them.

Mine have been in use now for a few weeks & are looking really good.

The poo just washes off easliy,& cannot stain the wood underneath,so it is so much easier to clean the bars.

One thing - if I do another set I will use coloured spray as with the clear its very hard to know which bits I sprayed & which I did not :?

They look just the same as uncoated ones,but feel a little different.

The spray was easy to use & one can does 2 sets of bars just about!

I've got it in the pot and haven't got round to doing it yet, mainly because I don't have anywhere to leave them to dry - perhaps if the weather is good at the weekend....

I tried cleaning my spare set prior to painting by soaking in Milton and ascrubbing, but they didn't get that clean; what REALLY worked was Phil's dishwasher!!!! :D