The Dogmother

Mites and lice abound - another warning

It's hard to say without seeing them, but there have been several advances in anti-lice and mite treatments since I first posted on the subject. I currently clean the housing out with Net-tex's Total Mite Kill concentrate (does what it says on the tin :lol: ) and then powder it with their Buz Busters powder, both of which contain permethrin, so will kill lice and mites on contact.

My girls all get a preventative treatment every quarter of Ivomec Eprinex* and also sprayed with the Johnson's anti-mite spray* or another similar permethrin-based spray, this seems to keep them mostly bug free.

*Not licensed for use on poultry in the UK.

My order for the remaining anti mite/lice and other gremlins came today and of course OH was down the garden so missed the delivery. :roll: I reapplied the ivermectin drops, srayed them with Frontline, doused with louse powder, purple srayed Bluebells bottom as it looks a bit red after I cut off her knickers :lol: and cleaned out the cube sprayed with Poultry Sheild added Stalsan F and Louse powder. That will have to do untill I collect the rest of the posions from the post office. I inspected them all and could not find any crawing insects so :dance: I am getting there. Not sure how long I should keep up the invasive treatment for any ideas?

I'd do it weekly on the birds until they are all clear and then just once every quarter - if you use the preventative, that ought to help to keep on top of it. Keep it up with the house though - I wash mine weekly with total mite kill Concentrate and then use Buz Busters powder which all seems to keep it clear... fingers crossed.

I think mine might have the Northern mite thing - I have mite powder and poutlry shield but what can I spray on the girls? Very confused and mine is on the neck not the vent. help

Hi Alis girls I am no expert only had GNR since last August

I put spot on Ivermectin twice on the neck 5 days apart (not licenced for GNR ) got it on ebay.

Sprayed them with Front line (not licenced for GNR )

Doused them several times with Barrier Louse powder

Cleaned and sprayed the (cube green) with Poltry Sheild

Added Stalosan F to the bedding

Added Barrier Louse powder to bedding

Purchased Barrier Red Mite and Diaton powder that I have yet to use :roll: only just recived it :!:

Bought another potion that is waitng for me at work (can't remember what it is called)

I do think I have cracked it though and broke my bank at the same time. :lol: I checked the worse affected girl Nugget this afternoon and could not see any thingcrawling about. She had lice and NFM

I sit down on the garden bench with a towel on my lap and the bucket of meal worms, I sprinkle a few about and they are all over me and I calmly pick each up in turn and treat them before giving more meal worms. I would rather treat a GNR than a cat. :lol:

Do bear in mind folks that the preventative products such as Diatom, barrier red mite powder etc might not kill the lice and mites... I've found this to be the case myself. I have taken to using the newer generation of products, which contain permethrin*

I found NFM on a couple of my older girls this weekend, so I washed their botties in a weak solution of total mite kill concentrate*, sprayed them with the Johnsons anti-mite spray* and then dosed them all with Ivomec Eprinex*. I use the latter routinely as a preventative every quarter anyway. I will repeat the spraying next weekend and check the unaffected girls. This warm weather and the very active wild birds are proving a nuisance, bringing lice into the garden :roll:

Do bear in mind folks that the preventative products such as Diatom, barrier red mite powder etc might not kill the lice and mites... I've found this to be the case myself. I have taken to using the newer generation of products, which contain permethrin*

I found NFM on a couple of my older girls this weekend, so I washed their botties in a weak solution of total mite kill concentrate*, sprayed them with the Johnsons anti-mite spray* and then dosed them all with Ivomec Eprinex*. I use the latter routinely as a preventative every quarter anyway. I will repeat the spraying next weekend and check the unaffected girls. This warm weather and the very active wild birds are proving a nuisance, bringing lice into the garden :roll:

I have just spent a small fortune on Diatom, barrier red mite powder etc OH would have a heart attack if he knew :lol: I also purchased Ivermectin spot on and Frontline spray (not licensed for chickens) I couldn't see any of the little critters when I inspected the girls today. I have also bought something else that is waiting for me at work. Can't remember what though :roll: Do you thnk I have done enough :?: The eggs stuff is still stuck to the feathers under the wings of little Nugget :!: I plan to check them weekly and douse the (cube green) every week, treat them every quarter with Ivermectin spot on and Frontline spray.

The lice/mite eggs will stay cemented onto the feathers unless you cut them off (the feathers that is). Provided your spray weekly for 3 weeks and use the preventative, you ought to catch all; the hatching lice/mites from those eggs.

NFM really irritate the skin, so you will find that the hen starts to get a layer of dead skin attached to her under-fluff if it is left untreated; this will need soaking off.

I have some diatom, but I just add it to the wood ash in their dust bath. Your Ivermectin* and Frontline* routine ought to do the trick, although Ivomec Eprinex* seems to be better against NFM than plain ivermectin* while it works well on lice. I have sprinkled some buz buzters powder in the nest box for them to squirm in when they go to lay... I guess it all helps. My girls were all free of mites etc when I checked them 2 weeks ago, now the two oldsters have NFM quite badly and one of the youngsters has just a few. :roll:

The lice/mite eggs will stay cemented onto the feathers unless you cut them off (the feathers that is). Provided your spray weekly for 3 weeks and use the preventative, you ought to catch all; the hatching lice/mites from those eggs.

NFM really irritate the skin, so you will find that the hen starts to get a layer of dead skin attached to her under-fluff if it is left untreated; this will need soaking off.

I have some diatom, but I just add it to the wood ash in their dust bath. Your Ivermectin* and Frontline* routine ought to do the trick, although Ivomec Eprinex* seems to be better against NFM than plain ivermectin* while it works well on lice. I have sprinkled some buz buzters powder in the nest box for them to squirm in when they go to lay... I guess it all helps. My girls were all free of mites etc when I checked them 2 weeks ago, now the two oldsters have NFM quite badly and one of the youngsters has just a few. :roll:

When I got to work today the other product I had purchased was Buz Busters so I guess I have covered all bases now. I will put some in the (cube green) and keep up the Front line weekly for the next few weeks. Nugget hasn't got too many eggs so hopefully she will loose them when she moults, at least she isn't being iritated by them any more. I will also repeat the Ivermectin Drops in August and worm them again at the same time. You soon become an expert when this sort of thing happens. :lol: Thank you for all your advice. :dance:

Not licensed for use on poultry in the UK

The treatment has been helped by the growth in backyard chicken keeping and the subsequent development of more effective products. It's impossible to eradicate the lice and mites unless you keep your hens inside and with no contact with wild birds, but a good treatment and preventative programme will keep it contained to sensible levels.

One of my old birds is starting to wind down now and being a fluffy pekin, she's a bit of a lice-magnet :roll:

Hi Claret Please could you tell me where you get your Total mite kill concentrate, Johnsons anti-mite spray and Ivomec Eprinex and there size? I have looked at different sites but am a little :? as there are spays with slightly different names. The Front line that cost over £20 is now nearly all gone and I think I could see the little mites on poor little Nugget again this evening. :roll:

Not licensed for use on poultry in the UK

I buy my Ivomec Eprinex* from my local vets, which have a farm surgery. bear in mind though that as its' not licensed for use on poultry in the UK, they may well be reluctant to recommend it.

I buy the other products from a local supplier.

Just a reminder that the Total Mite Kill concentrate (and spray and aerosol) are only for use on the house, not on the bird. There are warnings to that effect on the label and the manufacturer confirmed it when I double checked with them.

The Total Mite Kill powder is the only product in that range for application directly to a chicken - it's another version of diatom.

I now have Total Mite Kill concentrate and aerosol. I have ordered Johnsons anti mite spray which is cheeper than Frontline so lets hope it works. I can't get hold of Ivomec Eprinex I need a cow to be able to order it. :lol: but have got Ivomec lets hope this is working. Along with all the other potions I have I could open a shop. It should all last a while though. Lets hope it all lasts the summer at least. :roll: I should have taken up golf as a hobby I am sure it wouldn't be as expensive. :lol:

Not licenced for chickens

After routinely dosing and spraying all the girls last weekend and finding that the two oldest girls had NFM, I re-sprayed them this weekend and was glad to see that they didn't have any living crawlies on them. Still sprayed them just to be sure though.

If your chooks get NFM, you will find that they irritate their skin more then lice do, this usually results in a fine layer of dried skin which comes away of it's own accord.