The Dogmother

Mites and lice abound - another warning

Just thought I'd pop the dosage in this thread as I've replied to TOMWARDFARM by PM, but it's something that we all need to know.

.....checking Shilala's website, he tells me that the dosage is 0.25ml/5.5lb of chicken. You don't need to be deadly accurate though.

I withdraw the eggs after each dosage. My vet advised (though) that as Ivomec is used in some countries to treat humans, that egg withdrawal is personal choice, but that his professional advice is to withdraw the eggs for a week from each treatment. I dose mine 3 or 4 times a year purely as a preventative.

*this product is not licenced for use on poultry in the UK*

I have to admit I threw everything I could find at the little beasts ( the tiny white mites not the chickens!!!)

I took the coop apart first, scrubbed it and blasted it with hose!

I didn't find the Johnson's spray worked and it wasn't a large enough can of spray for my coop. And although Eradamite spray killed the mites, again, I didn't have enough for the whole coop, so I bought 2 litres of Poultry Shield which I diluted and sprayed on the coop every day for a week until I had eradicated 99% of the mites. Followed by a good sprinkle of red mite powder!!

I also treated the birds with Xenex ( which I had in the cupboard for the rabbits!!) and that appears to have killed the red mites that were in the feathers.

However - I keep finding the odd (white) mite crawling on my arms - I'm just hoping that they don't infect humans :shock:

So - I think I have the bugs under control :pray: - but will give the birds a second lot of Xenex in a few weeks, and will continue to spray the coop with Poultry shield every week to be on the safe side.

Michelle, do note that Red Mite Powder is only a preventative and isn't really effective at nuking te crawlers. Diatom is better for this.

Ant Powder containing Permethrin or Pyrethrum is excellent and can be used on both birds and housing. Please note though that it is not licenced for use on poultry in the UK, and that these ingredients are toxic to cats. I was recommended this by an old poultry hand, when helping my friend to clear her infestation.

Hi,

I found red mites in the Cube about a week ago, brushed it all out, found loads under the trays and on the side bits that the bars rest on. Sprinkled diatoms everywhere.

Monday, Tilly has started to go downhill, sleepy, and off her food.

So after finding the odd mite everytime I checked for eggs, but after checking the places where I found them previously there were only one or two, so today I decided to to a big clean with jeyes.

Again, didn't find many, an everythign was spotless, until I went to put the bars etc back in. and discovered that they were appearing from under the side panels, so called for my teenage son, who unscrewed both side panels, mites mites everywhere, piles of black, moving! urghhh. So I cleaned it all off with Jeyes, and think I have removed them all.

Then I noticed them coming from the front panel gap, but could not remove that as it is attached to the green run. So went off to the local Countrywide, bought some Mite kill and sprayed it in all the nooks and crannies.

I have had a good look at teh chickens themselves, I couldn not see any mite, but on 2 they have bits of feather sticking out, the base of the feather, like it is part growing back after being pecked. The tube bits. And they have black in them, both chickens are ginger, could mite be inside the folicle (or whatever it is called?)although it didn't look like anythign was moving.

I have sprayed them with anti peck spray, as they seem to have all taking to pecking each other recently, and I was thinking about covering them with diatoms.

We are going away soon, so I hope we are able to sort this asap.

Any advice welcomed

Sue

Sorry to be a pain - or eejit - I have had so much bother with the scaley leg mites - have got everything under the sun - almost, but nothing has worked so far. So I now have some Xeno 450 (6 saches - probably last years?). I have read the postings and attachments over again - searched to check. I know it is supposed to go under the wing and the egg withdrawal period (as they are on strike I won't notice much difference anyway). But do I administer 3 drops per bird or 3 for the big girls and 2 for the younger ones or use the whole sachet? Many apologies for being a right stupid person!

I haven't got mine on me to check the dosage, but I think it's 5-7 drops for big hens, on the skin at the back of their necks (so they can't preen at it)

Chucky Mama will be sure to know.

I have used that with the Johnsons spray and found it works, the grotty scales will take ages to moult off though.

*not licenced for use on poultry in the UK*

Thanks Claret - I have tons of Johnsons Anti mite (there was a problem initially when ordering, so by way of apology they sent 2 extra tins (I asked for one large originally, so 2 tins would have been fine) - mightily impressed me for sure, although I have used half of it already! But I have a feeling that the mites are happily feasting on Sioux's undercarriage as it is dry and flaky there which then received copious amounts of spray! No other signs of pests on bottoms or anywhere else, and she is the one who had them first. I Poultry Shield the cube and attachments and in the gaps outside the cube in the run once a week - or whichever day seems to be more promising regarding the weather. Everything fixed and breathing is Diatomed and red mite powdered, louse powdered etc. Er, I do have a bit of a phobia going on somewhat!

Thankies again.

xx

The odd one or two mites are still around, but I am trying to keep them under control with diatoms.

Sadly Tilly died last Tues, not sure why, maybe just very low form the mites, but she did seem better. I have been feeding them the odd sachet of cat food to boost them.

Then on Weds Daisy died, completely out of the blue, but she hasn't laid since Feb, and when she did lay before that a lot of her eggs were soft.

The other 5 girls have had a bit of squabbling since, I guess they are trying to sort out the pecking order. But this morning we are finally back to 100% 5 eggs from 5 chickens.

I am checking for mite most days now.

I have also been checking out poisonous plants, but I will post a new topic.

so after all you've said...

I'm still wondering what the preventatives are for red mite (hen + coop) and what are the best treatments for when you've got it. I have a converted shed if that makes a difference.

Sorry for starting it all over again =D

Lydia

Is it usual that redmite can infest a coop and kill the hens in the space of 1 week?

I'm very concerned to be honest as I so far have never had any problems with mites or lice but am now terrified of redmite infesting and maybe killing my birds all in a 7 day period :shock:

I would have thought that many more people would have lost their birds to redmite if this were the case? :?

Scary stuff! :shock:

New product flash.... I saw this weekend that Net-Tex are selling a large spray of anti-mite stuff, costed about £10 I think and contains Permethrin. I didn't have my specs on, but couldn't see a *not licenced for use on poultry in the UK* disclaimer on the packaging, nor a note about how it's toxic to cats. :?

Looking at the size of it though, it looked like it'd be more economical than the Johnson's one.

The dreaded lice have returned to my ladies....I emailed Net-tex on Friday re this product as the website does not make it clear regarding the ingredients, egg withdrawl or if it can be used directly on the bird :?

in the meantime I am treating with Johnsons and diatom.

Should I dunk them in 10% poultry shield? Is it a dunk or a proper bath and massage it in?

I checked the label on the new Net-Tex spray at the weekend - admittedly without my glasses - and didn't see any disclaimer on the label. It DOES contain Permethrin though, so will be as good as the Johnson's spray, but as advised before, keep it away from cats and observe a 7 day egg withdrawal.

I'd only bathe them if they are really infested. Use a 10% solution of poultry shield and work it right through to the skin. Obviously, only do this on a warm day and be sure to dry them thoroughly.

I queried the Net-ex products by email the other week and got an email resposne.

Also got a phone call today from a guy at Net-ex. He said that they only recomend that you use the powder on the bird (diatom based) and that the liquids are for the house only. :eh: