The Dogmother

Mites and lice abound - another warning

They ought to grow out of their own accord, but if there are loads of them you might want to soften it by bathing and ease it off.

One of the chooks in my friend's flock had a sort of mat of eggs and dead skin - we soaked it in a 10% Poultry Shield solution and gently removed it. It was causing her some discomfort and she was pulling at it.

Thanks for that, Claire. I've ordered some Poultry Shield concentrate and I'll attempt the bathing with diluted solution when it arrives. I have to say, I was relieved to see from the Forum that so many folk have been having the lice problem too: you immediately think you're doing something wrong when it happens to your animals! Hopefully, the hens will be sorted now for the summer, but at least I now know what to look out for in future.

I know, it's like headlice - you're always horrified the first time it happens to you.

They're spread by wild birds, so are extremely common. Weather conditions this year have meant that there are loads around! I tend to inspect the girls whenever I get close enough to pick one of them up.

I picked up a bottle of johnsons anti - mite extra today. It's acive ingredient is permethrin - will the egg withdrawal period be a week? If so then would I be just as well off using the frontline spray *not licenced for chickens* that the vet gave me when I couldn't get rid of the critters before. I don't think they have lice, but poor old barry is looking awful due to Primrose's nasty bullying ways and a moult that seems to go on and on and on. What do you recommend?

My GingerNut Ranger has had poop sticking to her feathers for a while and my dad has noticed all around her vent is red.

Is this NFM and as her bottom is red can I still use the advised treatments above ?

gingerNut seems fine and is laying quite happily though.

I woulld suggest a tepid bowl of water to give her a wash in (much easier as a 2 person job - one to hold and one to wash). Gently loosen off any dried poop and pat her dry with an old towel. You will then easily be able to see down to the skin and see if she has visitors - if she looks red and sore but there are no critters then a dose of purple spray usually does the trick - it is an antiseptic and will soothe the skin down a bit. If she has lice or mites then Johnsons mite spray seems to get a good response here. I use barrier louse powder as a preventative and put it in the nest box and eglu when I clean it out - there are an awful lot of red mite around this year so keep your eyes peeled.

A red vent and pooey fluff doesn't necessarily mean that she has NFM, but it's a good bet. Having said that, there are any number of other things that cause that too.

The mites (and lice) do like to feed at the softer, moist skin around the vent though. Once you've got rid of them, the skin ought to return to normal.

As chicken licken has said, purple spray is good as is the tea tree cream.

Best all get yer chooks upside down and check their lady parts!

well my dad has washed and disinfected the Eglu and bathed the gingernut no signs of mites or lice but her bottom is pinky red and missing some feathers.

my dad thinks it may be a case of feather pecking and has ordered some purple spray to ease any pain and some anti pecking spray.

Dad also bathed the pepperpot and no sign of mites or lice or any of the symptoms the gingernut had.

I have a little question to ask...

(it seems to be always me on the forum asking questions at the mo) :oops:

I have found some lice on my girls while doing the monthly clean thro...

Ive got some Johnsons Spray as I dont want to wait til monday for anything else...

So will be treating all my girls later on today...

My question is...My broody girl is sitting on her eggs...

-do I treat her now?... :?:

Im moving her to her own hutch/run tonite and eggs due to hatch this weekend

-Is it ok for me to treat while they eggs or when they are chicks or wait a couple of weeks?

ARGHH....Im not having a very good day today.... :(

Thank you in advance to all replies....

Kim

:?

Yep I 've just found lice on our two (squirms eugh) treated them with the spray from pets at home..

I found it really easy to spot this time round as they had them last year and the signs were that they stopped laying and were preening a lot.

Think I caught them early this time :D

(cube lilac)

(Bluebelle)-Margot

(Bluebelle) Maggie

(Bluebelle) RIP my lovely Barbara

You're most welcome Kim.

I have a couple of broodies at the moment - not on eggs - and this weather is terrbile for lice and crawlies; I have washed both of them in a solution of Poultry Shield, then sprsyed them with the johnson's spray *not licenced for use on poultry in the UK* and popped them in the broody cage to cool off. They were both refusing to come off the nest box and weer getting thin :roll:

For anyone thinking of settting a broody on eggs, i'd recommend dusting or treating them first if you can.

Sorry if I have missed this somewhere - but what is best to use for cleaning the coop to kill the mites? I seem to have lots of white mites (almost like flour mites) that are grouped together in large groups. I tried spraying with johnsons but that didn't do anything, so I dismantled the coop and am scrubbing it with hot bleach solution, and that doesn't seem to be killing them, just spreading them around.

I also found brown/red mites in the rabbit water bowl ( a plastic feeder) - obviously the chickens have been using that to drink from and are transffering the red mites to the bowl. I also bleached that!

I feel as though the things are crawling all over me at the moment!

Update!! I've just found a pack of Xenex Ultra spot on for rabbits. Enough to do all my chickens and rabbits i think. But is there an egg withdrawal period for using Xenon (permethrin based)?

It sounds like the ones you have found ('flour mites' are the usual lilttle bugs that you find scurrying about on most garden gubbins.

You can safely wash your housing down with Poultry Shield, which is a disinfectant as well as anti-bugs. Treating them with an ivermectin-based product *not licenced for use on poultry in the UK* will go a long way to controlling mites on both your animals and housing as it kills anything that bites the chooks. vet recommendations are that you need to withdraw eggs from human consumption for 7 days from the last dose. A preventative dose is needed once, 3 times a year, but dose twice a week apart if you have an infestation.

Guys as ever your advice is invaluable but I am confused

To treat Lice and Mites what do you use what is the fastest and best product?

The reason I say this as I have read your thread but am confused as to which is best - Diatom, Johnsons Anti Mite, Xeno 200, Ivomec Eprinex, Poultry Shield Concentrate, Barrier Red Mite Powder?

Can these be used together?

I want to cover all bases and treat for both.

Sorry to appear thick

In my mind, the most effective to treat both lice and mites, both for an infestation and preventatively is Ivomec Eprinex as a spot-on and Johnsons' anti-mite spray topically.

*neither of these products is licenced for use on poultry in the UK*

If your hens have an infestation, then treat twice a week apart. You will also need to treat the housing. Be prepared to carry on with the weekly treatments until the lice/mites have all gone.

This is just my personal preference, based on experience.