Budgies

Crested Cream Legbar?

Oh heck, I want, I want!

Don't know much about these girls - can anyone else enlighten me? They're soooo pretty!

I'm planning on a WIR around 12feet by 8feet (probably) and 3 or 4 chooks. Would a crested legbar be okay in that amount of space? They would get some time free ranging but I couldn't guarantee more than say an hour a day in the garden.

Also, are they friendly? Do they all lay blue/green tinted eggs? And finally, do they go broody?

Hi,

I own and breed crested legbars and they are lovely birds, they can be a bit flighty so you may need to watch for this, saying that, mine are all quite tame but thay can be a bit scatty! Any pure breed should lay a green tinted egg, there are hybrids on the market that do look similar but only have an 80% chance of laying a green tinted egg. 3/4 birds will be happy in the space you have stated. They are not notorious for going broody.

Hope this helps.

x

Thank you Autumn, that's all very helpful! Excited now! I know this is a bit thick of me, but when people say they're flighty, do they mean live on their nerves and are easily scared and shy? Am I reading that right?

Take it you're nowhere near me? I'd love to see some in the flesh before making a final decision! :D

Hi Dame Egna. Sorry, I don't know, I hope someone else will be able to put us right!! :wink:

After a bit of research online it seems that a Cream Legbar is the same as a "Crested" Cream Legbar.

An ordinary legbar (I think they're either silver or gold) was crossed with the Araucana to get the Cream Legbar with her blue eggs and tufty head.

They look soooo beautiful!! :lol:

Yes they are the same, just people sometimes shorten the name, the correct terminology is Cream Crested Legbar.

Here's the colour of the eggs my lot lay.....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/joannew_/GreenEggs5.jpg[

Excuse the writing on the double yolker, myu husband claimed it as his!

Sadly Budgie, I'm too far away from you in Cheshire, but here's some pics of a few of my growers, they are 8-10 weeks:-

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/joannew_/IMG_0411.jpg

Sorry, not a great picture but hope it helps.

x

I have a lovely cream legbar called Molly, she's the smallest chicken we have and is quite a light breed and very mischievous and quite friendly. The one thing I don't like about her is that she doesn't lay in the eglu and lays in the garden instead!

My cream legbar lays lovely pastel blue eggs which have got bigger as she's got older.

Budgie - I meant to add, with regard to them being flighty, they can be a bit jumpy and leap/fly away, although I've found with all of mine that they come running over for treats and will eat from my hand, some let me touch them quite happily and let me pick them up so they are quite friendly and tame, I just think it depends how they have been reared and how much they see you and are handled. x

Well, that's decided me!! :roll::D

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. 8)

Autumn, thanks for the lovely pictures, the eggs and the growers are just beautiful!

You're conveniently placed for my in-laws up there in Cheshire, but not so handy for me!

Now to source me a cream legbar!! :dance:

Mine's called Ada and she is my favourite chookie, named after my Gran.

She is the smallest of my flock and bottom of the PO, but she is the brainiest and always first to work out a solution to any new challenge! She's my most reliable layer too, a lovely small blue egg every day. She is very nervy though, shouts a lot when she is about to lay or has just laid, and she can fly like an eagle :shock:

Oh now I'm a bit disappointed. I've spoken to Ben at hen House Poultry and he's advised against mixing hybrids and pure breeds.

Where the hybrids he sells are vaccinated, the pure breeds (as is standard) aren't. However, vaccinated birds often end up being carriers so putting them together could be asking for trouble! Might take my chances with a heritage skyline instead but booooo!

Oh now I'm a bit disappointed. I've spoken to Ben at hen House Poultry and he's advised against mixing hybrids and pure breeds.

:( Could you not get the rare breeds vaccinated yourself, or is there a reason for not having them done?

I have 2 PP PP and am planning on introducing some Cream Crested Legbar's in with them (incubating eggs not POL) so I suppose I could have them vaccinated but I thought they weren't at as much risk only being an a small scale.

:( Could you not get the rare breeds vaccinated yourself, or is there a reason for not having them done?

I have 2 PP PP and am planning on introducing some Cream Crested Legbar's in with them (incubating eggs not POL) so I suppose I could have them vaccinated but I thought they weren't at as much risk only being an a small scale.

The way that I understand it, most of the vaccinations have to be given within the first few weeks of their life, and are administered in their drinking water. One or two vaccinations can be given later in their life, but they do work out quite expensive because they're sold in bulk for farmers, not in small quantities.

For those of you with Omlet hens, you can see how many things they are vaccinated against - maybe 10 illnesses. With many of the vaccinations they have to have a follow up or booster a few weeks later. It would just be impossible to do retrospectively.

The way that I understand it, most of the vaccinations have to be given within the first few weeks of their life, and are administered in their drinking water. One or two vaccinations can be given later in their life, but they do work out quite expensive because they're sold in bulk for farmers, not in small quantities.

For those of you with Omlet hens, you can see how many things they are vaccinated against - maybe 10 illnesses. With many of the vaccinations they have to have a follow up or booster a few weeks later. It would just be impossible to do retrospectively.

I wasn't thinking :lol:

We could vaccinate the ones we hatch, but the vaccinations seem to be about £30 and have a 6 hour expiry window, which would be ok if we get quite a few and could share with someone close by, but I think I may leave it for now and decide nearer the time.

If I were you I'd keep them together, as he may just be covering himself in the case something did happen. You could always phone another breeder and see what they advise.

If I were you I'd keep them together, as he may just be covering himself in the case something did happen. You could always phone another breeder and see what they advise.

I have to say Ben is fantastic. He's telling me the facts as they stand, and he's right (my OH is a New Scientist nerd and treated me to an explanation!!) :lol: . I'm also a real worrier, and having just lost my two beautiful girls together, I won't knowingly set myself up for more similar heartache in the near future!!

So I'll go with his advice and consider getting a Heritage Skyline, or even s"Ooops, word censored!" that and just get three other hybrids!

I'll get some pure breeds when I win the lottery and have a garden big enough to keep flocks separately!! :dance::lol:

You could just get a blue laying hybrid then if you're that worried.

I'm not sure whether any of mine are vaccinated, but they all came from the same place and get on quite well with each other, the pure breeds are lower down the pecking order, but that's because the bluebelles are older and Molly and Spice were being introduced to them in their territory.