chickencam Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 As some may know my ED did her qualifying expedition for her DofE Bronze last weekend. She then this week before handing in her book to go off for assessment needed to get her textiles teacher to sign off her skills section. She has been doing her needlework for this and is self taught. She agreed with this teacher back in tha autumn that she would be doing this independently but would need someone to sign the book at the end. The teacher said this would be fine but now in conjunstion with the main DofE organiser at their school has refused to sign the book saying that she has no way of knowing if ED had made these projects herself. She went to her a couple of months ago and she said that she would like to see at least one more project, since then ED has made several items all of which she took in as evidence today after being told yesterday that the teacher needed physical evidence. The teacher has obviously been told that she can't sign this book. ED then went to the teacher who was the DofE co-ordinator up until this year and asked her what she should do. She told her that as long as her book is signed by someone with a different surname no questions are likely to be asked. We understood that the person signing off each section couldn't be a friend or immediate family member which was why she asked the textiles teacher. I am the one who has overseen what she has been doing although I have limited knowledge. She has worked very hard on this and has made some great items and taught herself from books and the internet including buying her own sewing machine from a car boot and cleaning it and oiling it because it hadn't been used for some time. She wants me to sign her book using my maiden name which I am a bit uncomfortable about. I am quite happy to sign it with my own name and vouch for the fact that she has developed her skill well. What would you do in my situation. The book has got to go to the assessor of her epedition by tomorrow so that she has half term to fill it in and send it off???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Budgies Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 Oh dear, what a nuisance for you Liz. I would be reluctant to sign it too, only because it does look as though there's something to hide if questions get asked. Do you have a friend who knows you and knows what your daughter has been doing who would be happy to sign it? I'm sure I'd be happy to do that for one of my friends who had been let down. I'd also be pretty annoyed at that teacher, too, but that's another story! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cordelia Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 I'd contact the school head, and see if they can help out...and reach a compromise, I agree, I wouldnt sign any of your own names....(its so annoying for you) wanting to help, and not being able to.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 Post it to me, I will sign it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 I'd contact the school head, and see if they can help out...and reach a compromise, I agree, I wouldnt sign any of your own names....(its so annoying for you)wanting to help, and not being able to.... ditto, they can't go back on their word, what example does that set!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 I wouldn't be comfortable signing a "false" name either . As it needs to be handed in tomorrow, can you ask a friend nearby or a neighbour to do it? I'm sure no questions will be asked but in case they are, at least the friend or neighbour could vouch for her (even if they weren't in on the whole process!) Seems such a shame after all the work she's put in . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 I agree with ANH. I would have a word with the Head, though, so that clearer guidelines can be prepared for next time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 I'd be inclined to go with neighbour or family friend to sign and complain to the school as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Licken Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 As long as it is signed it doesn't matter - Do you have a family friend who would sign it off for you? For Bronze the record bookis not externally moderated - just entered as a pass by the Dof E co-ordinator and then the certificate is generated. I wonder if another teacher might do it - form tutor perhaps, especially if you already have a positive line of communication there. Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill to me! I used to run Dof E and had things signed off by fellow pupils (lifeguards evidence for swimming etc) as long as you know that it is completed in the spirit of the award then how can it be a problem - especially at Bronze? Give the school a ring if I was you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 21, 2009 Author Share Posted May 21, 2009 Thankyou for the advise everyone As usual Omlet power My husband was pretty inscensed when he heard about it and has spent a long time composing a strongly worded but polite letter to the school and hopefully the matter will be resolved tomorrow. I will let you know. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted May 21, 2009 Share Posted May 21, 2009 I'll be shocked if this isn't resolved tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janepie33 Posted May 22, 2009 Share Posted May 22, 2009 My daughter did chicken keeping as one of her skills for DofE bronze. She was in charge of them for the alloted period of time and accompanied me to the vet when they had worms and helped administer medication and did all the usual chickeny things. I ended up signing the book myself. All that came about as the photography course the school promised they would put on for D of E candidated didn't ever see the light of day. Hope you managed to get your daughter's book signed. Maybe one of her friend's mums could do it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 22, 2009 Share Posted May 22, 2009 Lots of political red tape! Get a friend to vouch that she did make the items herself. What a crazy system, my son is just doing his at the moment and is asking a neighbour. indie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...