Budgies

Do purebreeds get egg peritonitis?

The question says it all really! I still feel very upset that my little egg machine, Mango, suffered with egg peritonitis and we had to have her put to sleep. It seems so cruel that those that pop out eggs reliably should suffer so much as they age.

So I'm considering going for all pure breeds - getting fewer eggs is not an issue for me, and I'm just wondering if peritonitis is mostly a hybrid problem or whether any pure breeds are also susceptible?

I can't say for certain, as my vet really is a bit useless when it comes to chickens, but I am fairly certain that CeeCee had egg peritonitis. All the symptoms match up, but like I said, I can't be 100% sure. She was a lavender Pekin, and really not terribly generous in the egg-laying department.

Thanks ever so much for your feedback. Sorry to hear about Cee Cee, La Poule and your girl too Clare. :(

This might be illogical of me, but if it was peritonitis caused by leukosis I think I'd be more "ok" with it, than it being a specific malfunction of their egg laying tackle. The fact that a virus causes the tumours or growths in the former seems a bit more "normal" to me. (Like I said, it's probably not very logical! :lol: )

It still sounds as though they stand less chance of getting egg peritonitis when compared to the egg laying hybrids though doesn't it?

Yes!!No reason why they should not, recently lost the only one I have had this problem with -a Silkie POL. Ist attempt at an egg, must have had some gynae. problem, very ill very fast , clinical septic . Just one of those things that chickens do I am afraid. Ros

So sorry to hear you lost a Silkie in such a horrible way Ros, that must have been hard.

It may be that fewer people on this forum actually own pure breeds compared to the number of people owning hybrids, but the hens bred to lay extremely intensively do seem more prone overall.

I spoke to a lady who made a home for lots of ex-batts and she lost 11 hens in 11 months, all to egg peritonitis. :(