xraylady

You guys have no idea . . .

. . .about winter. Greetings from Utah -half the economy is based on snowfall here - & man, does it get cold at night. Check out my post on Omlet USA Forumsite "Keeping their little bums warm" about my recent attempts to forestall Frozen Chicken Syndrome before winter hits (about 3 weeks from now).

Many of us in the US face similar winter conditions - it is a topic of concern on our slowly developing Forum. Check it out & find out what we are all up to!

Sarah.

Just read it, Sarah and I'll be fascinated to see how you get on. Do come and tell us about it, won't you. It's not nearly that cold over here so we don't need to worry about our girls like you do but your research will certainly be useful to all you other Eglu owners in the colder parts of the US and to some of us who live where it snows.

Thanks Sarah. I must confess that I've not been on the US forum for a while now, despite going on there quite regularly in the early days. I'll pop over there later.

We do moan and groan a bit about the cold in the winter over here, although I think it's more the damp and the drizzle that gets to me, and the general grey dismalness of a British winter that gets me down (although I know that there are plenty of winter loving forum members over here, so I guess I'll be quickly out-voted on those comments :oops: ), but it's certainly never as cold over there as you guys get, and most winters we get very little snow, certainly down here in the South East corner. That said when we do get heavy snow everything grinds to a halt because somehow there's no contingency plans about how services such as public transport will cope :roll:

I've skiied New Hampshire, Vermont and Wyoming, and loved the crisp, sunny snow, but have never, ever been as cold in all my life as I was standing in the lift queue at Killington. Didn't think about the impact on livestock though at that time.... more about avoiding frost bite :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Brrrrrrrrrrr - you poor thing, I would hate that sort of cold (although some snow would be nice!)

I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with your hens over there & will be checking in regularly.

I think some forum members this side of the pond have dealt with some pretty severe weather,so fingers crossed for a smooth winter for you too :P

I'm with you there Sarah - I have relatives in Minnesota and have visited in February :shock: Most of us here don't know what cold is :?

We can run to the car to fetch something in the middle of our 'winter' wearing our indoor clothes and we would just feel a little chilled. In MN, you put on every item of clothing you posess - and do coats up and put gloves on, just to walk 2 yards.

I never thought about how you were going to care for your chickens over there through the winter months :? .