CrazyDaizy

Bonfire Night(s)

Hello everyone.

Well, we have had Cilla and Daisy about a couple of weeks (phew :) seems like longer than that) and they started laying pretty much straight away. They have brought the garden to life!!! Oh, and dug it up a little aswell :?

Concerns about Fireworks :x I'm sure they will be fine in their Eglu with the door closed and a thick blanket over the top.

Will they be ok like this with fireworks going off in the next gardens? :?:

Makes you want to get inside that Eglu just to see what its like really :wink:

Better clean it out first of course :lol:

GNR

Hi CD

I only goy my chickens in July, but from what I understand, they dont like loud noises and bangs!!! :roll:

The advice I have found on here in to bring them indoors, in a large-ish cardboard box, and leave them in the kitchen at night. I'm sure that someone will be along soon to give more advice :D .

Christian x x x

I will be bringing in my hens in a box, and putting them back in the Eglu late at night, when the noise isn't so bad. It's quite easy to do.

Distant fireworks are OK, but if they are in the garden next to yours, I don't think that it is fair on the chickens to leave them in the midst of it.

We only got ours 3 days ago so we are very new to keeping chickens. They are not laying yet as only 16 weeks old.

(also not very computer literate so please excuse this message not looking as artistic as some!)

Really not sure what to do for the best with the firework situation. Every night round here seems to be firework night from now till mid November. We could be bringing them indoors for the next 3 weeks!

They have not even been out of their run yet and are only just getting used to us. Not sure whether bundling them into a box each night could be more stressful for them :?:

We had some really loud unexpected bangs last night but they seem fine today. They are not laying yet so no problems with that however we dont want them having a cardiac arrest :!:

Any further advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :?:

(green eglu)

GNR Jenny

GNR Marion

GNR Zena

(All named after close friends incase you're wondering)

I think distant bangs are OK.

I brought mine indoors in a box last year for a couple of hours because my neighbours warned me that they were going to be letting off a lot of big fireworks just the other side of the fence where the Eglu is.

I put them out again at 10pm, and they were not traumatized either by the box or by the bangs in the distance.

As a rule of thumb, I would say that if the bangs are so near and loud that they make you jump out of your skin, then you ought to bring your chickens in; but if they are the distant bangs you hear night after night it's best to let the hens get used to them.

Our girls seem ok

The dogs are a different matter :roll:

And, putting on my jobsworth / spoilsport hat for all of those who love fireworks (I do but my animals dont and Charlie gets particularly stressed)

1. It is illegal to use fireworks in the street.

2. It is illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under 18 years of age.

3. It is illegal to possess fireworks in a public place, if you are under 18.

4. It is illegal to let off fireworks after 11pm at night, except on November 5th (midnight), December 31st (1am), Chinese New Year (1am, date varies) amd Diwali (1am, date varies).

5. Fireworks must now comply with a 120dB maximum noise limit.

6. Certain types of other fireworks are now banned. These include airbombs and "nuisance" fireworks such as screech rockets.

7. It is illegal for a member of the public to possess or use professional (category 4) fireworks. These are restricted items for sale to, and use by, bonafide professional display companies.

Mel is there anything special you do with Charlie to calm him down?

Milo is a nightmare fireworks night, he normally sleeps in the living room with the cats but if we go to bed when fireworks are going off, he barks and keeps us awake, and if he comes up with us, he doesn't settle, just jumps all over the bed whining - can't win! Have tried pandering to him, ignoring him, using one of those firework CD's - nothing works! Anyone used a dap thingy? I haven't tried that yet!

He's such a wuss, last christmas we were round at my mum and dads for christmas day lunch and he was lying in the dining room when while we ate and when we pulled crackers he charged out of the room into the living room and cowered on their new leather sofa (much to my dads displeasure!) and he still refuses to go into their dining room now! Bless him!

I might bring the chickens in for fireworks night as we have a big display on the village common near us and its particuarly loud. I want to go though so i don't know who i will get to look after the animals!

I have to admit that we do the "wrong thing" and let the dogs in the bedroom if there are fireworks - its easier to get a good night's sleep with them on the bed, than listening to them getting more and more agitated and panicky. - especially was we have to get up at 5am!

If there are thunderstorms we TRY to leave them in the study - depends on how bad they are.

We have been advised to ignore them when they are getting aggitated as otherwise you will be "rewarding" them for that behaviour.

The Blue Cross have a good leaflet on fireworks:

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/FILES/literature/BX_Firework_leaflet.pdf

Someone also suggested de sensitising them - ie play a cd of storms or fireworks, very quietly at first and then a little louder each time, ignoring the bad behaviour and praising the good.

When we had Minky we had one of those dap plug ins as he would not settle at all, any night, whether there were fireworks, storms or complete peace and quiet. We didnt notice any real difference.

We had wondered about skullcap and valarian which is meant to help.

We got some for Minky - but as a lot of people who have been around on the forum for some time it didnt work because he was the devils spawn :roll:

But when we took Charlie and Blue to see friends with hyper doberman and a huge mastiff we gave them skullcap and valarian and they were much calmer than on previous meetings!

http://www.dorwest.com/index.htm

We got some for Minky - but as a lot of people who have been around on the forum for some time it didnt work because he was the devils spawn :roll:

Minky :angel: was a little angel, you spoke about him with such adoration for his antics :wink::wink::lol::lol::lol:

Minky :angel: was a little angel, you spoke about him with such adoration for his antics :wink::wink::lol::lol::lol:

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted: we particularly liked the way he never let us over sleep......................

in fact he never let us sleep............... :roll:

Hi

Ive had my girls for over a year now and I think they were fine last year! I know we have had a couple of very loud ones go off lately but they seen to be fine at the mo!

As for dogs and cats!! Blue my black lab has always slept under my bed!!( its fine till he snores or breaks wind then I think we'd be the ones who would move lol) Glayver the cat is out and about as usual but if it gets to much he brings himslef in and curls up on our laps!!

I think the animals are more resilent then we believe them to be!

Emma

x