Jen&Rog

Can you make flapjacks without butter?

Yes you can and they are delish. My daughter has a dairy allergy so I dont use butter I use cold-pressed rapeseed oil.

Have posted the recipe on here somewhere before but can find again for you.

x

Mazzyc, I used this receipe, the flapjjacks were yummy, better than my butter version, healthier too.

It's on page 4.

Hello, here is the link and here is the recipe cut and pasted for ease and in case of link probs. I do use hill farm oil for this because my kids eat it and my son needs the omega 3. However I am sure you can use any oil with no problem. They are SO quick and easy to make. I simply pour in the oil and syrup and melt for a bit and then chuck in the oats and put in the oven (I dont grease tin or anything). They are really yummy. If you do want to use Hill Farm oil for the benefits then it is now at Waitrose and I have seen in Asda. Michelle

http://www.hillfarmoils.com/recipes10.html

Omegamix Bar

6 fl oz Hillfarm Rapeseed Oil

4 rounded tbsp or 6 fl oz Golden Syrup

300g Porridge Oats

100g altogether (single or mixed) Dried Apricits, Dates, Sultanas, Raisins or Cherries, Pumpkin, Sunflower, or Sesame Seeds, Walnuts, Dessicated Coconut or Chocolate Chips

Or if you are a chocoholic you could make chocolate bars

Chocolate Flavour-2tbsp Coca Powder+ 2teasp Vanilla Essence (this can be added as well as 100g of the above)

How to make

Turn on the oven to no 5 gas or 190c

Put the and OIL and the SYRUP into a measuring jug

Pour it into a saucepan and melt gently mixing with a wooden spoon

Stir in the OATS and any other flavourings and ingredients using a metal spoon

Spread evenly with a spatula into a swiss roll tin or oven tray (17cm by 28cm)

Cook for about 15-20 mins until golden brown and firm to touch

Cut into bars or squares (16)

Wrap each bar in foil or cling film

EAT ONE A DAY FOR YOUR DAILY REQUIREMENT OF OMEGA 3, 6 AND 9!

To help you to focus and concentrate on your work.

Hints and tips

Do not use JUMBO oats as they do not stick very well

Stand the spoon in the measured rapeseed oil, then use the spoon to measure the syrup( the syrup will slide off the spoon more easily).

Combine the mixture thoroughly, and if it will not stick together add more syrup until it does.

Press the mixture down firmly and evenly into the tin to aid the “sticking” process.

You will need to check the temperature of your oven and turn it up or

down according to how the bars cook.

Check the oven after 15mins and add 5mins at a time until they are cooked.

Cut the bars when they are warm and loosen the edge, remove them when they are cool.

Store the bars in a fridge, the vitamin e content in the oil prevents the oil from becoming rancid.

The bars can be frozen successfully, but this will not prevent you from eating them almost immediately they are taken out!

BEWARE ! THESE BARS CAN BECOME ADDICTIVE

Try this one.. loads of roughage and iron:

This comes out like a malt loaf (can be eaten with butter spread on it) and is a brilliant recipe – easy to make and nutritious too. My friend made me one when I had just given birth, to ward off any potential constipation.

Julie’s two cup roughage loaf

2 cups of All Bran cereal

2 cups light muscovado sugar

2 cups of chopped prunes (I do one cup of prunes and one of dates)

2 cups of milk

2 cups of SR flour

Mix all the ingredients except for the flour in a bowl and leave in the fridge over night. Pre-heat the oven to 350f/180c/gas 4 and line a 2lb loaf tin (I use the greaseproof liners from Lakeland).

Add the flour to the mixture and bake for around 60 mins, or until a skewer in the middle comes out clean.

Allow to stand before turning out.