New Guinea

The igloo in the eglu

I was a little concerned about the piggies out in the cold overnight so I bought them an Igloo, stuffed it with hay and put it in the eglu yesterday. I haven't seen them since. The breakfast I put out this morining has gone so I guess they're okay. Maybe they'll come out in the spring.

These are my first guinea pigs. Well, I got them for my daughter really :oops:

I had a rabbit when I was about eight but he died of mange not long after we got him. RIP Rocky :cry:

I decided on guinea pigs for Annalie because I had heard that they were so docile and that they rarely, if ever, bite or scratch. I thought about keeping a rabbit and a guinea pig together but I too have heard that the guinea pig can get hurt by a rabbit.

:) I think guineas are the easiest pets, and lovely for children. I always said I was getting them for the children, but really it was for me, even though I'm not usually soppy about animals. We now have our last one, aged nearly 7 I think, having kept them for nearly 20 years.

The igloo sounds a lovely idea. In fact the Guinlu really tempts me to get some more. However, I do have chickens now. But, I think guinea pigs are adorable creatures. :)

Like Sheila, we always had GPs, and they make lovely pets.

They aren't as hardy as bunnies, so they need to be kept warm on the winter and away from the damp - this igloo sounds lovely. We always used to bring our GPs into the summerhouse or garage in the winter.

I now have two mini-lop bunnies in a rablu - they are much hardier and grow lovely winter coats. They are also easy to litter train so cleaning them out is easier.

Hi Bunee1, Sheila and other guinea pig owners - do you keep your GPs out all winter or do you bring them into a summerhouse or garage as Claret did? We live in Broadstairs right on the eastern tip of Kent so it's quite mild. I think I would be able to make room for them in the shed if I took the run off but they would be confined to quarters for the duration. Otherwise I could put some paving or something down and put them on that. Any thoughts would be welcome. Do any of you bring them in the house?

Hello Sue

I don't have GPs nowadays, but always used to bring them in when it was really cold; they are especially sensitive to damp cold. If you have a sunny, sheltered spot in your garden then they migth be fine, just keep an eye on them to check that they're not getting colds or any respiratory problems as can happen if they get too chilled.