chrisandyo

Predator break-in

We have owned an eglu for 4 months, with two fluffy bunnies in it who have always been very happy and an absolute delight.

Then two nights ago we woke up to find the eglu top had been knocked off and both bunnies were gone...

Incredibly, one bunny (the timid female) was found by a neighbour wandering around out on the road. But of poor old Boris there has been no sign.

Initially we refused to believe that an animal predator could have broken in. The brass pin had been removed, the black strip pushed back and the top of the eglu knocked off. We suspected either human error on our part (not putting the thing back together properly after cleaning) or human intervention by a thieving third party.

However last night, after we checked and double-checked that we had securely closed the eglu, there were clear signs that an animal had tried to break in again. The pin was removed, there were clear signs of animal prints, digging and scratches all around the pin and base of the eglu - luckily however the creature had failed to open the eglu and snatch Doris.

We have now replaced the pin by a padlock.

But - has anyone had a similar experience? What could it be? Fox?

A very distressing experience all in all..

Oh you poor things! I do hope Boris turns up, maybe someones taken him in, fingers crossed. I've never heard of anything like that before, you are wise to use a padlock, great idea.Sounds like a very clever fox. Hope all is well from now on.

So sorry to hear you've lost a bunny. How worrying and upsetting for you. :cry:

Can't quite believe that another animal could be so smart, but my money would have to be on a fox.

It would be lovely if your other bunny was found... I do hope so.

Meanwhile, good thinking about the padlock.

Thank you to everyone who replied to us - last night I was woken up by Doris thumping and when I looked out the fox was prowling around the eglu - after finding no way in he went through to our neighbours garden and made an attempt on her rabbit. He was unlucky in both gardens.....I think even Mr Wiley Fox will be unable to break the padlock.....Sadily we fear it is too late for Boris.....

:cry: Oh dear, it does sound like that is what happened to poor Boris doesn't it? Take some comfort from the fact that there was no way you could have forseen or prevented it from happening, and that the end would have been very, very swift for Boris.

Are you thinking of getting a new friend for Doris, or is she now going to be a single lady?

We always folded the pin down properly - judging by the scratched and ragged appearance of the black band, it looks like the fox used its teeth to prise open the pin, and presumably got lucky on the first night in that it also managed to push back the black band enough to knock the lid of the eglu off...on the second night, it took the pin out but failed to get any further (thanks goodness).

And now we have the padlock...

Wow, that sounds awful. Has it happened to anyone else's bunnies?

Do you think a cat could do that? Because there are lots of cats that live in the neighborhood and they like to come and try to claw our little bunny. They haven't succeeded yet, but the bunny doesn't really know what the cat is and goes right up to the side of the run to greet it..That's when the cat tries to claw him through the wire.

Maybe Omlet could make the run safer with a tighter mesh? (green eglu)

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about poor little Boris, and am glad that Doris likes Boris Jnr. They are ace names by the way! :wink: