Phosphorus

Black araucana - boy or girl ?

Okay still haven't got a clue on the sex of my black ara with the crossed beak.

Any thoughts anyone? Also if it helps he/she is getting red flecks in the neck feathers - don't know whether this means the egg marking was wrong and it is a black red araucana (and does this then imply a boy given the colours and markings :( ) Piccies aren't great but.....

3704392120_a054ba3641.jpg

3704388096_0f0509f1d4.jpg

3703587733_d7a7bb0113.jpg

She might have a crossed beak but she (or he) is definately still growing :lol: No problems with eating pellets yet thankfully (just onto growers).

She/he is 8 weeks today - no evidence of crowing yet. My lavender suspect (strong suspect) is crowing occasionally at same age :roll:

The first pic makes its combe look dark so I was going with boy but the other pics make it look very different

Whatever it is its very sweet :D

My Araucana eggs are marked as BLK (for black) but the chap who sold me them said they are black/red ones and the BLK was just the abbreviation - I didnt think pure black existed but then I don't know a lot about araucanas :roll:

Practical Poultry has an Araucana buying guide this month and it says "The comb should be a tidy triple-type pea comb; almost invisible on the female. However, it`s not uncommon nowadays to find `Araucanas` with single combs, walnut commbs or over-sized floppy combs`

The general gist of the article is that `proper` Aras are getting rarer and choice of breeder is paramount.

On the black / black-red point - it says both are colours named in the standard.......

I know I haven`t answered your question but might of been some help :oops:

My 2 Lav Ara chicks are now 10 weeks and both have small distinctly red combs although one is a bit bigger and more developed than the other.

I seem to recall that the Red-Black girl I raised 3 years ago showed no redness in her comb area until virutally POL hence my sad conclusion that mine are both boys :(

The bigger one has been crowing since he was 8 weeks old and is now very proficient hence the need to rehome him sharpish!

The slightly smaller one isn't crowing yet - it may be a dominance thing but in some ways I wish he would so I can be 100% sure that he is a boy!

My 2 Lav Ara chicks are now 10 weeks and both have small distinctly red combs although one is a bit bigger and more developed than the other.

I seem to recall that the Red-Black girl I raised 3 years ago showed no redness in her comb area until virutally POL hence my sad conclusion that mine are both boys :(

The bigger one has been crowing since he was 8 weeks old and is now very proficient hence the need to rehome him sharpish!

The slightly smaller one isn't crowing yet - it may be a dominance thing but in some ways I wish he would so I can be 100% sure that he is a boy!

:lol::lol: I keep trying to convince myself that my lavender boy araucana isn't definately a boy - but he crowed twice whilst I was in the garden today :oops: He is 8 weeks yesterday - been having a go at crowing since 7 weeks. Think he has to go in next few weeks as well (we go on holiday in two weeks - could you imagine the neighbours when we return - especially as eglu won't be closed at night :shh: ).

Are you rehoming or are you getting the red wine and stock pot out? Not sure if there is enough meat on Ben Korma to justify eating him :?

:lol::lol: I keep trying to convince myself that my lavender boy araucana isn't definately a boy - but he crowed twice whilst I was in the garden today :oops: He is 8 weeks yesterday - been having a go at crowing since 7 weeks. Think he has to go in next few weeks as well (we go on holiday in two weeks - could you imagine the neighbours when we return - especially as eglu won't be closed at night :shh: ).

Are you rehoming or are you getting the red wine and stock pot out? Not sure if there is enough meat on Ben Korma to justify eating him :?

I'm still trying to convince myself that my non-crowing one still might be female so I know exactly how you feel :lol:

I am re-homing (or trying to!) as these are from show winning stock and should therefore be good examples of their breed. If no success I will resort to the services of a local game keeper :( as I really don't think there's much meat on them. What are you doing with yours?

I'm still trying to convince myself that my non-crowing one still might be female so I know exactly how you feel :lol:

I am re-homing (or trying to!) as these are from show winning stock and should therefore be good examples of their breed. If no success I will resort to the services of a local game keeper :( as I really don't think there's much meat on them. What are you doing with yours?

I was hoping he would get a bit bigger before he started to crow - although I suppose that then doesn't give me time to get too attached which is a good thing. Dh would like to eat the boys for an August Bank Holiday BBQ :boohoo: If I happen to find someone who will take him then I would obviously rather do that but....

I did ring Colchester Zoo to see if they would like him for their petting part but they haven't come back yet :(