GillC

Can a chicken moult...permanently?

I have three lovely chickens Patsy is 2years, Amber and Nutmeg about 1 and a half.

Amber is a white Amber Star. Lovely nature, v. affectionate. All three are good layers - laying 6days out of 7.

In September 2008 Amber started moulting and just hasn't stopped since. I've seen quills growing thru, but they never seem to fluff up and cover the gaps. Around her wings, she looks kind of threadbare - like the canvas of a carpet with no pile.

She has particularly unpleasant bald patches on the tops of her wings as though she's been pecked, but she hasn't. The chooks are all v. friendly with each other. These patches are quite red compared to the other bare patches which are on her chest, underside and around the wings. I wondered if she was getting sunburn.

I've searched for mites but seen no sign. The other chickens are fine looking although all three are fairly small compared to my friend's chickens. I wondered if they might have worms and have spent some very interesting times following each one around and dissecting what comes out. I've been unable to detect anything odd.

Amber's eggs can, I think, be a little thin-shelled upon occasion, but otherwise she seems happy and perky.

She just looks like a ware-chicken.

Can anybody suggest what might be the cause? Surely, if one chicken had worms/mites, they'd all be affected. They eat layers pellets, water and occasional treats. They range freely during the day in an orchard surrounded by hedges. There are lots of wild birds living in and around the run who share their food.

many thanks for any advice.

PPGNR(white chicken)(pink eglu)

apart from worming with flubenvet, which is a good idea anyway, all I can think of is to powder/spray her, her friends and the house against lice/mites, and if that doestn make a difference then try the vet? ours will do a phone consultation, so you might not actually have to take her there.

My Amber Link is exactly the same.

I have put beak bits on her house mates as I thought someone was pulling her feathers out.

I've treated her with Ivermectin and all sorts of other potions......to no avail.

I have started treating her with a bubble bath with Flowers of Sulphur added. An old fashioned treatment which is supposed to help skin conditions and cure depluming mite......if that is what it is.

Watch this space.

What are flowers or Sulphur???

I've been reading up on this stuff recently and came across bathing them in a sulphur solution, but couldnt figur out how to do it...????

I'm going to try nippon ant powder too and eprinex, I'm convinced we have a depluming feather mite, so we'll see what happens. A couple of ours have the bald patches on wings and bear chests, as the mites burrow they cause discomfort and the chooks pull out their own feathers. Two have balding heads too...

Xeno isn't touching them, so based on advice I'm trying Johnsons mite spray, and hopefully have some eprinex to try and ant powder.... Hopefully that will get the little blighters!!!

Oh and Poultry sheild their house and bio dry the floor (is bio dry really as good as stalosan???)

Fingers crossed :pray:

Gosh, thanks for all the suggestions. That's really helpful. From what you've said, depluming feather mite sounds plausible. One of the others has a baldish head but I thought that was just normal. That might explain why parts of the skin are so red too.

I'll try worming them and see what I can get hold of for depluming feather mite.

I've really kept a close eye on the eglu and it looks spotless, but I guess you can't be too careful so I'll try poultry shield as well.

Thanks Egluntine,

I did a quick internet search and found some fairly inexpensively on ebay. I've ordered 200g for under £4 including P&P and look forward to trying it out.

Along with everything else :)

GNRPP(white chicken)(pink eglu)

I think I may have to try this too.... And expect to be covered too!

Nippon any powder does seem to be used quite widely for mites as it is permethrin based, just don't breathe it in or let cats get anywhere near the stuff. I believe egg withdrawal is a week too.

Correct me if I'm wrong please egluntine.

**Click**

I added a tsp to a washing up bowl full of warm water and a few drops of Ecover washing up liquid.

A few days later and I think I can see the beginnings of an improvement.

Flowers of Sulpher arrived from ebay today and I just tried the washing up bowl approach :)

Amber, although very docile, was not overly keen and after a fairly splashy time I became fairly sure that I won't get depluming feather mite :roll:

I then got my husband to hold her while I poured the water over her and into her little armpits (wing pits?). We both now look rather bedraggled.

I've ordered flubenvet from my vet and will pick it up on monday and apply to all three, so will be interested to see if I get exciting and gross spaghetti-pooh.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how often I should repeat this comedy bathing ritual, or if it is worthwhile applying the flowers of sulpher dry?

Can I ask did you wet the chickens all over or just on their bald bits?

Can the Flowers of sulpher be used dry?

What would you suggest for one of my girls that has bald patches on either side of her breast area. She keeps dropping her head and preening under her 'tummy'. I've checked her for mites/lice but couldn't see anything but that doesn't mean she hasn't got some little biters does it? She is still laying, eating and drinking but is obviously bothered by something under her feathers.

I have checked and thoroughly cleaned the eglu...no red mite.

I washed Amber all over in a washing up bowl. I think next time I'll use a deep bucket where she can't push herself out with her feet :)

Two days later, spotted my first ever red spider mite in the hutch so cleaned all thoroughly and put red mite powder (forget the name) that I just received with my omlet order both in the hutch and all over the birds.

Amber is still looking fairly bald - some of her feathers seem to be missing the fluffy bits in the middle which is what makes me think that this depluming feather mite might be the culprit. Either that or she is preening them off but I don't see her doing it.

I also wonder if the yellow flowers of sulpher can be used dry. It's certainly a splashy experience using it wet :lol:

:?: I wonder..... I did post a query about a chicken with sore looking red skin a while ago, but no one seemed to have any ideas, but the symptoms of depluming mite sound about right.

Have tried to take a picture:

200907chickenredpatch003.jpg

Of course the chicken wouldn't cooperate....

2 of my chickens seem to get these red patches, they come and go. Sometimes they shoot new feather spikes, but then they don't grow. Sorry to put this in someone elses thread, just not seen similar before!

Happy chickens, this looks just like one of mine. she came to me like it having been "keot back" a couple of months after rescue.

I too had just been starting to consider why and i agree sounds like a deplumimg mite???

I have today spray 2 of mine with neem oil. but just how much you need to get all over I do not know.

I am assuming that this xeno stuff people use does not kill it????

"E" are you out there to answer this one, or don't you use it?

Ok, local pet shop can get me a sulphur block from their equine supplier, not sure how similar that is to what Egluntine has used, but did a search and says sulphur can be used to kill external parasites.

One of the girls that has it was seen by the vet a few weeks ago when she was off colour, vet noticed the red patches, but didn't offer any explanation - but she wasn't a 'bird' expert.

Sandy, are you gettin anywhere with the neem oil?

Any advice out there?

Thanks.

As with someone else, bathing chooks.

One thing for sure I won't have depluming mite! :lol:

Bathed 2, going to see over night how the worst is, but think I will spray the others not bath!

I had 2 bath one for another reason. poor love so thought , as she was already soaked......

then thought mifht as well do the worst... I have to confess I had no idea she was so bad... she looks much as she came good ?Friday... poor love!

kkep you posted

:?: I wonder..... I did post a query about a chicken with sore looking red skin a while ago, but no one seemed to have any ideas, but the symptoms of depluming mite sound about right.

Have tried to take a picture:

200907chickenredpatch003.jpg

Of course the chicken wouldn't cooperate....

2 of my chickens seem to get these red patches, they come and go. Sometimes they shoot new feather spikes, but then they don't grow.

Wow, that looks exactly like my Amber and the description is precisely what seems to happen with her. She looks kind of threadbare. I'd post a pic myself but it's raining cats and dogs at the mo. Amber's skin also gets dark red and enflamed looking. I originally wondered if she was getting sunburned. I like sandyhas3chucks' suggestion of spraying. Might be less messy :) Could hardly be more messy

Yes, I wondered about sunburn too!

How are you getting on with your treatment? Haven't ordered the sulphur yet, cos not sure if it's the right stuff.

First time round I'm not sure I was too successful at getting it on her. I think there was more on me :lol: Haven't really noticed alot of difference in the past week but that might have been because I didn't really do very well.

On Monday I had another go, this time with a deep bucket and the help of my daughter to gently swish it over her back and tail. The yellow powder doesn't actually dissolve (I guess it's a mineral) and floats on the surface. I'd used a drop or two of washing-liquid. We took our time so Amber, a naturally placid chook, relaxed and co-operated. I'm pretty confident that I really coated her all over with the stuff.

It's now Wednesday so it hasn't really been long enough to be sure. Her bright red enflamed patches seem paler, and I wonder if some of her feathers are looking a little fluffier, but can't be certain. It's not been sunny so it could simply be her recovering from sunburn.

I'll keep an eye on her and post if I see any improvement. Here's a current pic. Actually, the pic doesn't look too bad. She does look worse in real but it gives an impression of the problem.

Amber_sideview.JPG

We now have 2 orpies with the ready for oven tums. Again the worming stuff (double dosed this time) plus the spot on - seems to have done wonders for everything else - their feet are beginning to look a little better. They don't look sad (but they never have done) - tails always up and seemingly happy. I wondered if it was the scaley leg that was spreading to the tums hence the spot on and they've been having tea tree lotion rubbed in. Nope, back to the drawing board. It is possible that it is something to do with a feather eating mite - now the legs are beginning to get a little bare - some feathers have been broken off, some are beginning to grow, but other areas of bare skin have the odd sore patch. Apache was given a bit of a poultry shield dunk earlier on - we couldn't get hold of Sioux - she can move when she wants! :roll: Definitely not sunburn - I defy any ray of light to get underneath their drawers - for the time being anyway! So far the little peeps seem OK, but in a moult and feathers are everywhere in any case, and I am keeping my eye on them, up under and they complain a fair bit when I do my inspections. If it is munching mite, then we will have to do the sulphur treatment and judging by the weather, get out the hairdryer. Oh won't they just love that - not! :lol: A nice intro for the young'uns too when they get their first bath!

Talk about a crash course in parasites - we had a relatively good year last year!