Lesley R

Cleaning the wooden slats/racks

Take the tray out and s"Ooops, word censored!"e all poo etc into compost bin without washing it clean. Put the plastic tray in the elgu again and then get a hose on the fastes setting and power blast the roosting bars and the poo comes off with ease. Then take the tray out and the water drains into the ground and then dry the tray in the sun. All is done.

Well that is how I do it.

I would also strongly recommend a spare set of roosting bars. I no longer dread washing them. I used to worry that I wouldn't get them dry and back in quickly enough if one of my hens wanted to lay an egg; or that I would forget to put them back by bedtime.

I just leave the washed set in the window of my shed to dry and forget about them until I next need them. It makes life so much easier.

We are in the Thames Water area and still under a hosepipe ban, so I keep the hose out of temptation. I scrub the bars with my old scourers and then throw them away. I try not to make the bars too wet, as I suspect they will last longer that way.

I stole Hubby's special brush for cleaning the spokes of his alloy car wheels! :wink: It's brilliant for cleaning the roosting bars - you can scrub in between all the bars and it didn't cost very much either (he's had to buy himself another one now) You can get them from Halfords etc. They're very robust and also great for cleaning my teak garden furniture :wink:

When I get the kitchen re-done I am going to save my big butler sink and install it in the garden because it's an extra big one - I can get my big barbeque grill in it and so I reckon it will make cleaning the roosting bars easier too.

I can't believe it hasn't occurred to me to get a spare set because that whole drying thing is such a hassle. Trouble is, do I get a spare set for my markI or just wait for the MarkIII ?? :?:?::? Decisions, Decisions ...

I scrub mine in Ecover washing up liquid and a drop or two of tea tree oil .use an old washing up brush and they come up dandy.

I recently decide to give the spare set a power clean before rubberising them - I washed them, then put them in Phil's dishwasher - brilliant - they look like new. Now just got to get round to painting them :roll:

I also take mine out - plaster them in Ecover and give them a scrub with a hard brush and then blast them off with the hose - not had any problems.

Just invested in a spare set of bars so when the ones are drying I can put the fresh ones in and rotate them, at just over £6 for a new set - its a bargain.

Once a week I s"Ooops, word censored!"e the poo off them (with a wallpaper s"Ooops, word censored!"er), spray them with Poultry Shield, leave for a while then wipe clean/dry with kitchen paper. I then put red mite powder on the ends while they're damp and leave to dry abit more if I can. They are often still a bit damp when I put them back in - is this a bad thing?

I s"Ooops, word censored!"e and wash the bars with a bit of ecover each week end and leave them to dry out as much as possible. They never seem to come totally clean though. At the moment I am not using any redmite powder/ diatom (what ever it is) or anything else - should I be? I do give the girls citricidal in their water and a bit of poultry spice in their pellets to keep them healthy but haven't really tackled the mites etc yet - what do folks recommend?

I clean the eglu every Saturday morning. I let the girls out in to the garden. Remove the top, then empty the tray in to a composter (the girls like being put into the composters to eat all the lovely worms), then I spray the roosting bars with diluted Jeyes fluid. I keep a fairly strong mix say about a desert spoon in 500 ml of water in an old kitchen cleaner pump spray bottle. I allow the bars to soak in the Jeyes mix for about 5 minutes then throw them into the water butt and scrub them clean with the

yard brush. If its warm they dry off quickly in the sun but if it's cold or wet I simply dry them off with old newspaper. The nesting area is usually pretty clean as I fill it with hay and so everything usually comes away with that.

I find that in the run 100ltrs of bark lasts about 6 weeks (I keep the run dry by covering it with a shower curtain in winter), the old fouled bark is shovelled out on to the flower beds.