Sara-W

Anyone kept an unexpected cockerel?

A couple of weeks ago I found out that one of my new araucana x chicks is actually a cockerel :? I never planned to have a cockerel so I'm unsure what to do :? My sons love him and I told them that I couldn't promise we could keep him but we'll see how it goes.

He is in an eglu with his 2 sisters and has seen the other chickens through the bars of the run, the other chickens really dislike him and often go over and make a croaking noise at him! He crows in the morning at about 6.45am until about 7.30am (not particularly loud) which is making me quite anxious :anxious: (i've tried covering the eglu but it makes no difference) then he is quiet all day. My next door neighbour has assured me that he has never woken her up in the morning and she sleeps with the window open :anxious: and she has in fact only heared him once and would like to hear him more! It has been pointed out to me that I'm the only one worried about the noise :roll: . We live in quite a rural village and often hear sheep, faint crowing of a cockerel (not mine!) jackdaws cawwing very early in the morning (there are hundreds of them here) and more recently seagulls.

Sorry for the long post! I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation and if anyone has kept their cockerel? Here's a picture of Ritchie

mUMBLES2009084.jpg

We've two cockerels hatched out of four eggs and are still deciding what to do. However, we're in a town with close neighbours. I am going to contact the council re noise and also see about a cockerel box but realistically know that crowing could start as early as 3.30am over the summer. Have also been told due to the breeds they couldn't be eaten until six months old by which time they will have started crowing.

If your neighbour isn't bothered I would keep him :)

hi

ive just rehomed my little boy after realising she was actually a he! but i live in a built up area so i found him a home before the crowing began- i would keep him, if your neighbours have no problem then why would you need to :D i wish i could have kept mine so i say KEEP HIM!! HES LOVELY :clap: you will regret it- just have a word with the neighbours and tell them to let you know if it ever comes a problem- free eggs on their doorstep can help keep them sweet and make you feel less guilty :lol:

xxx

Well, tomorrow I am getting an 8 month old booted bantam boy.

I live in a council house with neighbours all around.

I rang the council to ask them if I am allowed him and they said YES :dance::dance:

Providing I keep him quiet until a reasonable hour in the morning there is nothing anyone can do :D

Even if someone complained about the noise during the day-so long as it is not first thing in the morning, they won't have a leg to stand on :whistle:

None of my neighbours care enough about me and my family to stop shouting and swearing, playing loud music, revving cars and motorbikes at all hours, slamming doors etc so do I feel guilty?? Nope :dance:

Thanks everyone for your replies :D I've been reading so many negative things about keeping cockerels recently that I have been making myself worry :roll: It's so nice to hear good things about them for once! I was so scared he was going to make too much noise on Sunday I got up early only to hear loud music and screaming teenagers were drowning out Ritchie's crowing :lol:

We had the same situation last year and had the option of returning him or keeping him. We spoke to some of our immediate neighbours and they encouraged us to keep him. We try to keep his early morning crows in check by blacking out the cube and it works 95% of the time. Luckily, the covers muffle the noise the other 5%.

We've recently put new doors on the side of the garden facing the road, and now the chickens and Phillip can't be seen. My OH met a neighbour the other day walking their dog, and they complained because the sight and sound of Phillip was the height of their dog walk. So we've invited them to pop into the garden anytime so the dog can gaze in wonder ( its a Pyrenean Mountain Dog!).

So if your neighbours are anything like ours, go for it. The hens with the cockerel are a really nice group

Tricia

If you get on well enough with your neighbours that they would come to you with noise issues (if there were any!) then I would, for once, say try keeping him.

Worse case scanario is that he is too loud to early - likely next summer if ever - and you have to get rid then, after you've become fond of him. If you explain that to the kids now then would that help?

And maybe say to your neighbour that if the noise is too much for them early in the morning then to let you know, so you can try to sort the situation out before you get to the stage of having to get rid of them/having the council involved.

Normally I would think it's better not to keep cockerals with neighbours, but if yours are OK with it then give it a try, assuming you can bear the RISK of having to get rid of him in the future.

If your neighbours are fine with it then you can keep him if YOU want to (does the noise bother you?).

My SIL has a cockeral and finds he keeps his girlfriends in order when she adds new hens to her flock (she loses hens and adds new one's with some regularity :? ). I don't know if others find this.

He is certainly handsome :D

We were given a cockeral who was going to be despatched otherwise. He is a very noisy boy (LF orp with enormous lungs!) I get on very well with neighbours and when summer started he was waking one person up very early, so we've moved him as far away as possible up the garden and now altho he still crows (on and off all day) its acceptable. Everybody else apparently likes the noise (sound of the country). He's got more personality than the hens and its a complete treat to see a proper flock being fed, attended to and marshalled by the cockeral. If we had to get rid of him I'd be devastated, but I'd do it, of course. The sound is so loud there's no argument. If your neighbours are cool with it, and you feel you can take the hard decision to rehome/despatch if you have to, then I would give it a go. I've had so much pleasure from him in the past 6 months. In fact, if we ever move, no neighbours or deaf neighbours will be a definite condition!!

My boy is a bit of a wuss, as are the girls. Although he is in charge any pecking order pecking is carried out by top hen.

I would say don't keep your cockerel unless you have a large walk-in run. He will harass the girls too much otherwise.

I was desperate to keep my gorgeous cockerel, but both he and the girls needed more space.

If you do decide to keep him and you don't have a lot of space, make sure you get saddles for the girls well in advance. I found out too late just how necessary they are.

On the positive side, cockerels are lovely, and the noise was tolerable.

Hi everyone :D

Dont mean to sound thick, but i have two splash orps and fancied a couple more, a black and a lavender. I also thought of maybe getting a cockeral, the noise is one major issue but the other is ( i know this sounds stupid) would he try and hump my 4 hybrid hens aswell or wud he just be a fluffy lady fancier? :roll: Actually i would think hed squash them(orp male - hybrid hen) :shock: And are orp cockerals as loud as other cockerals, as my orp ladys are so softly spoken, hence the changed names to squeak and beep beep!! :lol::lol::lol:

thanks x

We were given a cockeral who was going to be despatched otherwise. He is a very noisy boy (LF orp with enormous lungs!) I get on very well with neighbours and when summer started he was waking one person up very early, so we've moved him as far away as possible up the garden and now altho he still crows (on and off all day) its acceptable. Everybody else apparently likes the noise (sound of the country). He's got more personality than the hens and its a complete treat to see a proper flock being fed, attended to and marshalled by the cockeral. If we had to get rid of him I'd be devastated, but I'd do it, of course. The sound is so loud there's no argument. If your neighbours are cool with it, and you feel you can take the hard decision to rehome/despatch if you have to, then I would give it a go. I've had so much pleasure from him in the past 6 months. In fact, if we ever move, no neighbours or deaf neighbours will be a definite condition!!

My boy is a bit of a wuss, as are the girls. Although he is in charge any pecking order pecking is carried out by top hen.

Any hen is fair game! The point about wearing them out is true- his favourite has a small bald patch on her bag ( but she is moulting too). I think I've seen a ratio of 1-8 - one of reasons for expanding my flock! But as Daphne says, seeing them looking after the girls is lovely. I especially like his call - an excited chatter- when he finds food for them. And he stands back keeping guard while they eat.

Tricia

hi, it sounds sweet he wants to look after them, but would this make not at all broody hybrids, broody?!!!! :roll: My goodness what would those babys look like. eek sounds a bit scarey, maybe ill just stick with the girls :( So when he coka a doodle doos is he very loud? :shock:

Viv x

Any hen is fair game! The point about wearing them out is true- his favourite has a small bald patch on her bag ( but she is moulting too). I think I've seen a ratio of 1-8 - one of reasons for expanding my flock! But as Daphne says, seeing them looking after the girls is lovely. I especially like his call - an excited chatter- when he finds food for them. And he stands back keeping guard while they eat.

Tricia

Depends of your definition of loud. He can be heard quite a long way away .... I've been told he's quieter than a LF cockerel - but I can't compare.

You would get some interesting hybrids, but I don't think it would make them any broodier than they are already. But mine aren't broody. In fact I'm not sure they'd ever reproduce without the help of an incubator!

Tricia

Gallina is quite right regarding space. Ours are in a wooden house/run with a Omlet netting pen and anyway they free range over a large garden most of the time. We also use saddles, partly because Harold is 'keen' and partly because he weighs a ton and feathers come out as he struggles to take a hold on the girls. We've got 4 hens to one cockeral (was 5 but we lost one). Breeders routinely keep pairs or trios, but they often separate the boys/girls in the summer to give them a rest. Orp boys are lumbering beasties so typically they run with fewer hens than lighter breeds. However, next year I plan getting him at least 2 more ladies. I know he'll cope!

I've seen him dance around the bantam orp but he's never tried it on with her. He doesn't appear to notice the bantam polands on the odd occasion they escape :) I don't know if he'd try with hybrids - my feeling is very probably.

People say orp cockerals have a gentle crow, deep and not high pitched like a bantams. Its true he isn't screechy but mine is VERY loud - tho he may not be typical. Female LF orps do tend to be quiet - any of my bantams make more noise than the LF.

On the subject of broodiness, neighbours with hybrids have all gone broody this summer. They jokingly blame Harold - but none of my LF orps have.

so do you think the hybrids would just leave the eggs like every other day? sounds stupid - collected daily, they would still be able to be eaten even if mr big boy has been there :shock::lol::lol:

Depends of your definition of loud. He can be heard quite a long way away .... I've been told he's quieter than a LF cockerel - but I can't compare.

You would get some interesting hybrids, but I don't think it would make them any broodier than they are already. But mine aren't broody. In fact I'm not sure they'd ever reproduce without the help of an incubator!

Tricia

Ha ha that would happen to me, the whole village would blame me for making there hens broody, just my luck ha ha :D So again a stupid question, do you have to put the bibs on everyday or do they stay on? :roll::lol::lol::lol::lol:

viv x

Gallina is quite right regarding space. Ours are in a wooden house/run with a Omlet netting pen and anyway they free range over a large garden most of the time. We also use saddles, partly because Harold is 'keen' and partly because he weighs a ton and feathers come out as he struggles to take a hold on the girls. We've got 4 hens to one cockeral (was 5 but we lost one). Breeders routinely keep pairs or trios, but they often separate the boys/girls in the summer to give them a rest. Orp boys are lumbering beasties so typically they run with fewer hens than lighter breeds. However, next year I plan getting him at least 2 more ladies. I know he'll cope!

I've seen him dance around the bantam orp but he's never tried it on with her. He doesn't appear to notice the bantam polands on the odd occasion they escape :) I don't know if he'd try with hybrids - my feeling is very probably.

People say orp cockerals have a gentle crow, deep and not high pitched like a bantams. Its true he isn't screechy but mine is VERY loud - tho he may not be typical. Female LF orps do tend to be quiet - any of my bantams make more noise than the LF.

On the subject of broodiness, neighbours with hybrids have all gone broody this summer. They jokingly blame Harold - but none of my LF orps have.

If you do decide to keep him and you don't have a lot of space, make sure you get saddles for the girls well in advance. I found out too late just how necessary they are.

i have recently hatched seven chicks and have one definate cockerel. he is a bantam sized frizzle, at lest he will be if he grows a bit more :lol: i have talked to my neighbours, they are fine with me keeping him and i have a large walk in run. so i thought i was all set. until i read your post! what are saddles, will i need them and what do they do? sorry if that sounds a bit thick i'm new to this chicken thing!

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Poultry_Saddles.html

ChickSad_250.jpg

These protective saddles will help her through the mating process without the damage to skin and feathers that is so often incurred. If area to be protected is particularly sore then an application of Aloe Vera Gel is highly recommended to sooth the abrasions beofre attaching the saddle (see below).

Good Luck

Tom :D