Duncanally

how many killer foxes

I've lost one hen to a fox, in broad daylight.

It might be useful if everyone who has lost chickens to foxes replies to this thread, to bring it home to those who have not yet been visited just how common it is....

I do worry that some people leave their hens unsupervised in the garden all day; but then I can't imagine a garden without foxes.

Hi

I lost Mildred & Marjorie to a fox in the middle of the day in June. I now have 2 new chickens; Enid & Ethel. They are kept in the run at all times unless there is someone in the garden with them or I'm in the kitchen with the door open watching them constantly. Unfortunately, this means that at the moment they can only free-range at the weekends but I'd prefer them to feel cooped up and safe rather than the alternative.

BTW I've been meaning to ask about wild bird fat balls. I hang one up in the run in a washing powder net bag, more to keep them amused than for nutritional value, as they will play with it for hours. However, I'm a bit worried that the high fat content isn't good for them in the long term. Does anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

Cathy

Thanks Claret

We've tried them on seed bells and hanging greens etc but they are just not interested which is why we went onto the fat balls in the first place. They love corn on the cob but they can strip one faster than a plague of locusts!!

Oh well the search goes on for amusement ideas......and now I have to think about what to do with the bucket of fat balls I have!! The local birds are going to be delighted!

You will get lots of different views on this and only you can decide. I would say that you should never leave the Eglu door unlocked at night, but that is because I am regularly visited by a fox; people who have never seen a fox in their garden will say the opposite.

This might be more about me being able to sleep at night rather than about protecting the chickens.... After all, they are just as much at risk during the day, especially with urban foxes.

I lost all my chickens. Went down and disturbed the fox trying to take my chickadoo's. Went down next morning to bury them and the fox had come back. Very cunning fox. :(

Very sorry to hear this. I hadn't seen your post as the topic didn't come up as unread until just now. Every sympathy, it must be awful. I do hope it won't put you off chickenkeeping. But, they'll have to be locked in safely all the time as the fox is indeed clever.

Gallina's absolutely right, couldn't have put it better, some do & some don't based on personal circumstances & views!

we had a chicken plucked through the bars early in the morning when we left the door open. I think the fox used the overhanging tree as cover to sneak up. If the chickens see the fox coming - and with a few chooks there is a good chance they will - they will be ok. The chicken survived that attack ok only to be killed about three weeks later in an evening when he came before they were locked up.

Also check the catches on the run door as some of ours had broken and this could be how the fox nearly got ours.