chunkychick

Constantly dripping vent

Hi,just registered on here and hoping someone can help me.

I have an ex batt who has had a continual watery white discharge running out of her vent.I have cut back all her feathers and try to keep her bottom clean and dry but she is often very red and sore so I have been putting 'SUDOCREAM' on her.

Just over a week ago she became very weak and started gasping for air when I was washing her bott so I moved her into the kitchen in a cage.

I treated her for a week with amoxil and she got much better the leaking stopped and her breathing was fine.She was eating and looked much better all round .

Now a few days after stopping the antibiotics she's off her food and the discharge is back and her breathing is laboured on exertion.

I have done many many hours searching online and I think it looks like VENT GLEET which is a yeast/fungal type thing.Although this discharge is not too smelly.

I think giving the antibiotics killed all the bugs in her guts (including the good ones) and when they stopped the yeast/fungus took hold again.

That's my(amatuer) theory and I am hoping someone on here can give me any suggestions or help in anyway.

Please feel free to disagree with my diagnosis Any input gratefully recieved.

My vet doesn't know about chickens and charges like the Light brigade.

I am thinking of trying NYSTATIN and then some sort of PROBIOTIC.

If anyone can advise me on where to buy, what to buy how to treat I would be most grateful.

Iv'e been reading this forum for a long time now so I know how knowledgable you lot are!

I've just come across this link that may give you some ideas on treatment:

http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent%20Gleet

I'll also let you know what the vet says about Florrie tomorrow. If it is vent gleet, I can let you know what treatment he prescribes. Luckily Florrie's not suffering any other symptoms (apart from dodgy vent, no eggs and a raggedy chest/under carriage), but it's not nice.

Will let you know the verdict from our vet tomorrow evening!

Hi there,

Take a look at my vet's verdict re: Florrie's messy vent and other problems:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51362&view=unread#unread

I'd really recommend trying to find a vet that deals with poultry, to give your chook the once over. If it's not vent gleen and something like my chook has, it could be fatal if left untreated. I know vet's are expensive, but this trip didn't cost me as much as I anticipated - 27.50 in the end.

Hope this is helpful :)

Edited to give you the link to the forum recommended vets:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4447

Did you give the amoxil at the recommendation of a vet? :?

I'd be more inclined to think that she has some sort of blockage tbh.

Is she still laying?

Is she pooing normally?

The breathlessness is worrying and I think you should take her to a vet.

I had some Amoxil capsules left from a previous visit to the vet last year with a hen with breathing problems who unfortunately died before finishing the course.

I gave this hen the same dose stated on the bottle as I felt I needed to do something fast and It was after vet hours.

When she improved so quickly and was back to normal after a couple of days I gave her the full 7 days course.

Only became unwell again a couple of days after stopping.

After looking really unwell and off her food last night she passed a large puddle of clear liquid followed by a 'lash'.

She seems to be picking up today.Been for a short walk round the garden and starting to take an interest in food.

She still has the creamy yellow disharge but less watery drip.I still feel it is a fungal yeast type thing it has an odd smell !

Her poos are quite normal.

She has not laid but then I have only been getting 1 egg a day from 5 ex batts.

I think they are all spent.

I am keeping her in the warm kitchen and will try to find a poultry vet.

I live in a farming area and there are livestock vets about but deal more with cattle and horses.

Farmers don't take 1 chicken to the vet any unthrifthy hens are culled.

The town vet I take the dogs to had never treated a hen before I arrived with mine last time and hes been there for at least 15 years.

I had this just a while ago. Not dripping but lellowy pooh, then noticed the smell, then she laid a lash then more then more then on day 4 started to look poorly, vet said she was burning up inside, injected baytrill and gave me liquid. that was Sat morning on Sunday I thought she was going to need to be PTS on Monday (vet said little chance of making it) then she started to improve, she had to have 14 days of Batrrill till her pooh was totally normal looking overnight. She has been re examined has put on weight but didn't need scales to tell me that!

She is on a firther 2 week course and he feels something not right and still doesn't think we will win this one.

:(

I have told him he is wrong because she had her Henniversary in May and is the only remaining of my 1st 3 exbats. She is TODAY ... RIGHT NOW... happy running, eating well, bossing the others(She's head chook)

She sun bakes and dust bathes and is bright and bouncing.

So right here for today we ARE winning!

I would OH SO STROGLY advice you to do a search here.

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/System/practicedetail.asp?NodeID=89812&PracticeNodeID=376072&SearchType=practice

use the advance functio and tick poulrty. I would really hope you could find a vet within a hours travelling.

Or Post your nearest town and someone might already know of one.

ohI also sent sample to Retfords, which is the other option as they will send you the meds or the prescriptioon to get from your vet, very reasonable priced.

I had no time initally, she was ILL REALLY FAST

oh yes there were still meat bits in poo daily for 7 days AFTER the 1st lash!

My  above a year old chickens have the same problem that is, a white fluid is coming out of their vent and their vents were always dirty with pop. After reading recommendations of different people over internet i massage their vent and put them in loop warm water + antibotic (tylopen and some time amoxil). After a month everything was normal their vent look neat and clean but unfortunately few weeks after my hens have same problem. Whenever i treat them with massage+ antibotic the issue gets resolved in 3 to 4 week but it comes again after a month or so when I stop treating them. Now more than a year has passed and one of my hen has died while laying an egg. I found her dead in my cage with her intercite out of her vent with an egg inside it. The 2nd hen with grace of Almighty is alive but fluid issue is still with her. She laid only one shell less egg is her entire life which at present is 2 years. Mash Allah she eats well but often walk like penguin. Now (16/12/2020) i am expecting her to lay eggs in week or so and i hope this time it will not be shell less. I will wait and treat her for next 6 months once again if she doesnt get well then i am planning to use her for my chicken soup.