AussieChick Posted September 10, 2009 Share Posted September 10, 2009 I have heard of tuna and cat food can be given to the girls as an extra protein pick-me-up to help through moulting etc. What's the general consensus? What do you give your girls in additon to corn/layers pelletts/normal kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted September 10, 2009 Share Posted September 10, 2009 Mine love dried mealworm and corn on the cob. Mealworm are top of their list by a long way. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BocBoc Posted September 10, 2009 Share Posted September 10, 2009 Dried mealworms were a MASSIVE hit with our old girls. They also loved leftover rice and mashed potato. Sweetcorn lollies (frozen corn on the cob) were firm favourites on hot days and they all loved melon too - I didn't mind when they were 49p from Aldi!! Not sure what our new girls will be like - they've had dried corn, fresh corn and rice so far. They've been a bit scared of the treat bowl and it's contents when first placed in the run but have managed to empty it by bed time!! Re - cat food...I didn't think you were meant to give chickens meat Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 Some feed organic cat food although not sure you should give them chicken Mine love sardines! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 Another fan of mealworms here (Well not me personally, rather my girls ) Dried or the occasional live, they love them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GGLGirls Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 Hi. My girls love cooked pasta, corn on the cob, grapes and their favourite sultanas. I try to give them as afternoon treats as I have noticed if I feed them too many treats they stop laying eggs - at least thats my assumption as I suspect its because they prefer to eat the treats rather than their layers pellets. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sallyj Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 My girls love corn on the cob, adore grapes and go wild for dried mealworms. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 I avoid giving them tuna as it can sometimes taint the eggs and fishy eggs are not my cup of tea lol I also prefer to not give them cat food very often as I'm pretty sure that most of the normal type cat foods contain chicken-even if the flavour was beef. I would give them boiled or scrambled eggs for extra protein Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dippy bird Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 mine also love corn on the cob, pasta, toms are a huge favourite! They love roasties as well,and they are quite impressed with Greek salad as well! Oh, yes,yorkie puds!!! Basically, they will eat pretty much anything Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gelbel Posted September 11, 2009 Share Posted September 11, 2009 The marmite on a bit of toast was ignored on Monday night but they now have the hang of a corn cob hanging up. But an hour ago I gave mine grapes for the first time. Went down a treat. However I noticed they were wiping their beaks on the ground after. I found out why - OMG - not totally ripe so a tad sharp. Bet I pay for that tomorrow. I left them with some saltanas on Tuesday when I (eventually) got them back in the run before bedtime. Reports from DH (who had to do the honours on Wednesday and Thursday as I was away with work) that they had all gone when he checked them Wednesday. So that's another bribe I can use on them - this time to actually get them in the run no they know what they are. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smokiechicken1969 Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 As a really special treat why not let your chickens break into your seed trays that you have painstakingly taken hours to plant up and cultivate. they especially like to help themselves to the tenderist of lettuce seedlings. normally i would have spotted them sneaking off to ransack the shed but i was too busy in the kitchen, lovingly preparing melon for them! syrus merlin smokie and eva bantams coco the cream leg bar mr merrylegs the bantam cockerel rusty, d.d and marbles the hylines Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
4Clucks-minusOne Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Mine will follow anyone, anywhere with dry jumbo oats. They don't like salad things or sultanas. Their favourite at the moment is blackberries. They are scaling the bank at the back of the house to get to them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 -Re - cat food...I didn't think you were meant to give chickens meat Chickens are omnivores so can eat meat and fish, they eat bugs, toads, frogs and mice no problems, I feed mine good quality (high percentagge meat) cat food every now and again (obviously not poultry flavoured) as well as tuna Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 mine are picking tomatoes ( they prefer black cherry and Garden peach my two faverite ones ) Fallgold rasberries and blackberries. they're leaving the apples alone at the moment Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gelbel Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Wow wow wow! Bean sprouts go straight in at #1 Bean sprouts even meant we had girly cuddles and got some Diatom rubbed in. I even managed to get hold of Joy who BS (before bean sprouts ) would not even let me stroke her. Once she realised she was not going to die, I think she quite enjoyed her cuddle. Suffice to say I will be creepy crawly free too as more Diatom ended up on me than the girls!!! I do have to add it was 3 bean sprouts for the girls; one for the DH. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...