Guest chookiehen

Edinburgh Get Together.

Which date would be better for you?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which date would be better for you?

• First Saturday in March
    • First Saturday in April

Hi Shona. I'd love to meet up and thats my birthday weekend. I think its unlikely that OH will whisk me off to an exotic location so should be able to come along. Wee Anna spends most weekends in Edinburgh with her gran so she'll be there anyway but I'd probably get the train through (40 mins).

Well I have been looking into this and it seems that the first weekend in March will be ace for me - Joe wouldn't be able to make it and will look after Molly.

In a bid to be more green I have looked at the ways of getting there without a 9hour drive - so train and plane.

The train takes about 6.5 hours with a few changes and none of the times on offer mean I get there at a sensible hour - so the plane it is then, another flight out of Birmingham is on the cards as I will have to travel on the Saturday morning due to work.

And for all the hassle the train is quite expensive - but I may take the train back on the Sunday afternoon........decisions decisions decisions!

A

xx

It is good - I've used it before.

Andrew, I looked into flights for 2 adults and they run at about £130 for two people with either BMI Baby or Flybe. I tried other airlines, also using Coventry or East Midlands airports as an option, but nothing else came up.

Depending on the timing of the bash, we would be staying one night in a B&B as well, which would make it quite expensive. I'll have to talk to Phil about it and have another think nearer the time.

Well if need be I can collect a car from Hertz when I get there and taxi people from the airport. - after-all that bit is free for me and can ferry people about!

Looking at Easyjet out of Bristol and its £20.99 all in going up and £26.99 all in to come back and be back home by 2230!

£5 cheaper going out than with BMI and I don't have to go to Birmingham

and lots more cheaply than flying back into Brum with BMI too!

Think I may be booking that then!

A

xx

I must say I like travelling by train, you can have quite a relaxing journey; usually

We have done the journey to Edinburgh a few times and it is really quite nice, especially through the Lake District

Only 4 hours too, probably quicker than flying, if you take into account checking-in and getting to the airport etc

Can't wait to see you all again :D

Just had a bit more of a look; to travel by rail costs £60-£80 return in advance (have to boook tickets by 24/12 though as prices go up after that), but it takes 5.5 hours from Banbury :shock:

Flights from Birmingham are about £130 return

Accommodation; Thistle hotel edinburgh weekend break £198 for two people for 2 nights B&B, or travelodge edinburgh central £140 for two people for 2 nights, no breakfast though

Will try and look for a cheaper B&B near the centre - any ideas anyone?