veggiemad

? poo inside egg - infected egg??

Some advice please. I've had 3 ex batts for about 5 weeks. the bully - onion- was the most featherbare but after a week settled down and laid an egg a day. Laying slowed right down last week from all of them but assume it was the time of year and the fact they are all growing their feather back. However, today onion is VERY slow and lethargic and i found this egg/poo with a shell, in the nest box- i assume its her as the otehrs are happy as larry.

I've had quite a few softies lately but dont know who from , so gave them limestone flour and am currently worming them.

Do you think its an infection? or reaction to the flubenvet? or just the stress of being rescued /growing back feathers .anything ican do? have tried giving her mealworms to see she eats them- but nothing.

i shall try and attach a photo.

not much luck thoughi'm afraid. Its like a goo-ey poo with a soft shell/calified outer layer.

will try again later.

Sounds like a bit of a blip in their egg production. The worming and limestone flour are spot on :D

I suspect that they are regrowing their feathers, so have diverted their protein reserves to doing that. I suggest upping the amount of protein in their diet by feeding mealworms and/or Alfalfa. A good quality liquid tonic in their water wouldn't go amiss either.

Unfortunately, ex-batts are prone to egg problems due to the intensive laying they've been through whilst in the battery sheds.

Funny, I had an email on Monday about an almost identical subject :?

hello again

onion is very quiet this evening- the other two are FR but she has stayed in the run, standing on one leg closing her eyes. Also noticed her comb is abit tinged purple - when she arrived to us it was very pale pink and has redden up well. I'm guessing its all the same thing, but not much improvement on the eating and energy though. Had a good egg from one of the others so whatever it is, they havent caught it -................yet.

another thought- could it be the change in the weather considering she doesnt have many feathers- do chickens feel the cold?? I have avets appt on thurs but not sure if my vets are any good with chickens- if any one know one around coventry i'd be grateful.

thanks

If you're prepared to come to Banbury then Clive Madeiros at West Bar veterinary surgery is the country's leading avian expert.