Lavenders_Blue Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 Well I let my girls out for a free range this afternoon. Bella (top chook) was acting a bit oddly, pacing the fence and squarking away to herself. I kept a close eye on her as it looked suspiciously like she was hatching an escape plan. Obviously not as after about 15 mins pacing and squarking she suddenly crouched down on the patio and expelled an egg! I guess she had been pacing the garden looking for just the right egg laying spot (not sure I would have chosen the patio but there you go). What a shame she didn't think of using the nest box!! Oh and surprisingly the egg survived the ordeal, it has a teeny tiny crack but otherwise it's fine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 I saw an ex-batt lay an egg one time at Little Hen rescue. It was a bit bizarre looking with no feathers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 I was once squatting down handfeeding the polands in my big black chicken coat; when I looked down one of them walked out from under the coat and left me a lovely white egg! I must look like a mobile nestbox Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Barkisland Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 One of my ex batts laid an egg right in my hand as we brought her home! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CluckyBucks Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 Sweet Ive seen my Rogina lay many an egg Its a lovely little experience xx xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 I went out ot collect eggs from the nest box and as usual Corneila was sitting in the nest. She is broody on and off, so I put my hand under her to get the eggs and she laid one in my hand Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
greenfreek Posted October 18, 2009 Share Posted October 18, 2009 Oh wow how exciting!! Still waiting to see some piccies! lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Shirl Posted October 20, 2009 Share Posted October 20, 2009 Do your hens half stand to lay and do they make little noises?... Mine do.... It always looks a bit painful to me. Watching a miracle every day is quite something . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 20, 2009 Share Posted October 20, 2009 They always stand up to lay. I've had a few laid in my hand, or on my lap. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rarara Posted October 22, 2009 Share Posted October 22, 2009 This just makes me want chickens all the more. I don't really appreciate eggs iykwim? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Shirl Posted October 22, 2009 Share Posted October 22, 2009 This just makes me want chickens all the more. I don't really appreciate eggs iykwim? Get that butt of yours in gear and get the money saved for an Eglu and hens. Start saving Right now No excuses Bed indeed whatever next Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 22, 2009 Share Posted October 22, 2009 Poor things giving birth every day. I've watched mine a few times they don't seem to mind. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...