Just had a bit of a lucky escape with one of my chooks; Lucille is a tiny Dutch bantam, and when i checked on them tonight and put the flower pot in the nest, I noticed that she had her tail in the air. This isn't anything unusual because she likes to roost with her head under Dolly, but she was squeaking away. Somehow silly Lucille had got her head stuck between the roosting bars and there didn't seem any way of budging her without unscrewing her head :(

I managed to get the others off the bars and lifted them carefully, she is very tiny and I was worried about breaking her neck. I'm still not sure how I managed to get her freed, but if you have any bantams or other tiny birds, then please watch out for this. I have no doubt that if I hadn't spotted her she would have been dead in the morning.

Phew, a near miss!

It was Em, I was terrified of breaking her neck, the torch was clamped between my knees and it was raining. I was just about to go and call Phil to come and help when she got free. I expect that she'll have a headache tonight - her face and neck looked ok and she was moving her neck about, I just hope that the stress wasn't too much for her - she's such a delicate little thing.

Clare , how horrible for you, & for her too :shock:

I too have some teeny Bantams - baby in particular is very small - & I have often found them wedged at the back of the bars, but never with their head through.

One thought , did you have Bokashi in the litter trey & if so could she have been trying to peck at it?

I know my bants love to peck at Bokashi & for that reason I only use it as a scatter food for them in their run now.

They used to all huddle at the back and the small ones would get caught down the back fo the bars (that's how layla got foxed) but I now have a water-filled plastic 4 pint milk carton down there to stop that happening.

I don't think she was trying to get anything in the poo tray - it's just Aubiose and poo! I reckon that she just got caught up in the general bundle of chickens :roll:

Oh Clare! What a shock for you! I am so pleased that she is ok. Although our bantams are in a wooden ark we have put some roosting bars in as well - so will get Paul to have a look and see what he thinks.

In the meantime, if there is any chance of coming and seeing Mo, and perhaps Phil and Paul chase chickens in the mud I would be really grateful - I could do with a giggle :lol: