ChrisEllis

Good ideas for ponds

Hi,

In conjunction of gettin 2/4 runner ducks next year i was thinking bout ponds. I know that there are a few routes to go down fom a small tub which they stick their heads in and thats tht up to digging a pond and having it filtered etc.

I'ld like to know what peple advise and have found works - we was thinking of getting a plastic tub thats 130 litres and digging it into the ground - to keep it looking nice and then bucket out the water twice/once a week depending how many ducks we have and then refilling - as we have a lot of land disposal isnt a problem - does anyne think this is a good idea? i plan to get a few books aswell and also does anyne have any ideas of what they put around the pond to minimise mud - maybe rubber chippings and sort of have it enclosed by a piece of wood around the actual tub thats very low so the chippings dont fall into the pond or go out into the run?

Hi

Re ponds the bigger the better but it is keeping it clean that will always be the issue with ducks.We have a large moat/pond and the ducks do pollute it. Obviously I cant empty that out, looks the part etc pretty scenic with the gang of ducks on it

But for cleaining when mine were small prior to letting them out all day we had a big old metal container that I would have to tip out each day and fill with a hose(it was rank)!

They could sit on this and do the duck stuff but they do just poop in it and duck poop is tarry and sticky. The ducks always were gleaming and never muddy or anything(could never work out why).

The pond in the ground is fine but my suggestion would be to part submerge it in the soil and as long as you can tip it out or bucket it out that will be just as good. It will need doing very regularly(dont think weekly is enough as it wont be).

Also the other thing is in the winter you will end up with an ice block and it would be better to be able to tip the lot out??

Some people have pumps on here so should be able to recommend this but if you have the time to bucket it out thats good too. The other thing is to bear in mind not to get a container with deep sides as they may have trouble getting in/out.

I suppose as I work I just try to make it easy for myself too.

Hope this helps but cleaning is the problem with good old ducks! Ducks are very messy they mess in their house etc pure squalor!

Pros for them against chickens are their eggs are great and they dont scratch the grass like chickens will dabble with their bills(may leave a small mark) and they do eat snails etc

My garden was empty of snails!

Good luck indie :)

Hi Chris.

Something you could consider :

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_8480/plastering-tools/plastering-baths/shieldtone-deep-plastering-and-mortar-mixing-bath-130-litres.html

I have one of these : it's very substantial, and would be adequate (but not exactly perfect) for 2-4 ducks.

(You could do what I did when mine first arrived, which is to splash around in it myself. until my rescue muscovy decided to join me - didn't take me long to analyse the water content and leave Rapidly !!

If it's not convenient for you to tip out, I have had good personal reports of this pump :

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/65041/Power-Tools/Water-Pumps-and-Hoses/Automatic-Dirty-Water-Pump-400W-240V?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-DIRTY%20PUMP-_-65041s.

Fixed log edging with a wood plank backing, rather than wires connecting each one, is ideal for access and exit.

M.

I think a pump is a good idea and will make things a lot easier, I don't have ducks myself but have looked after them at the farm - in the small pens they have concrete ponds sunk into the ground which are emptied every week. I used to have to do it with a bucket and then because the bottom is flat, its hard to get the bottom out so we chopped the top off a plastic milk bottle + used that.

We also had a huge pond with maybe 20 ducks on which they had to get a lorry in with a siphon/sucker on to empty it, then jump in (it was a few foot deep) and sweep all the stones + mud out.

Indie made a good point about steep sides, not just for the ducks but you need to be able to get out too :lol:

If you go for a container, maybe dig the hole bigger than the pond + put gravel/stones in the bottom and around the sides of the container to keep mud from getting in, and if the ducks splash water around the edge the gravel soaks it away and it doesn't get all muddy around the outside edge :)

The link of the 130 litre tub is the exact one i was looking at so im sure im along the right lines - plus its quite a deep steep container - i dont understand the part about making it easier for them to get outn of? can someone go back over that but the idea on digging a bit more round the container and filling it with gravel so it soaks aay - is genius - plus im gonna get a little fountain for the corner of it which will be solar - just for decoration and that might help stop freezing as it keeps the water going :P

i dont understand the part about making it easier for them to get out of? can someone go back over that

If its a steep sided shiny surface, the ducks won't have anything to perch on to get out of the water, and may just slip on the sides when trying to get out. You could maybe put a couple of rocks in the water up the side so they can get out, or a wooden ramp with runners across it to act as steps :)

You can also buy ponds which have a bit of a step about 10cm below the water line which does the same thing.

Hi Chris,

I have had 2 Aylesburys since May this year and bought them a large plastic sand pit style container to swim about in and sectioned an area of the garden off with pea gravel where the pond is. This has worked fine over the summer months as I used most of the water on my plants, however now that I am not doing this and emptying all the water (not sure how many litres it holds) onto the gravel, the bottom of the garden has just become one big swampy muddy mess!!. The plus side is that they are easy to clean out and refill but I do like the look of the container already recommended that you sink into the ground. It is something I may consider for next year as I could then pump out the water exactly where I wanted to, but would have to work out the logistics of getting power to the pump. I do have an outside socket but it is on the back of the house and would probably involve quite a bit of work....not very experienced when it comes to ponds and pumps etc!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on once you have decided,

Regards,

Rachel

(white duck) x 2

Hi, Thanks for the advice - and yer i think it would be best to have it dug into the ground and then i was tihnking of small paving around it and then about 20 cm dug for gravel - this is just to drain away the water the drips off of the ducks - i will probably bucket the water out and my dad owns a koi pond and he is deeply passionate about all pumps of sort so he will probably try and make the duck pond some amazing kit bu i jus want simple pond :P

I too have the pump mentioned above - I use it each week to empty my duck pond into a nearby drain. I got the hose to connect to it for about £10 from B&Q.

My pond is from Containerama, and weighs in at 275L - my 2 Appleyards and 2 Indian Runners fit in it OK - although when all 4 are in residence, there isn't a massive amount of room to swim! They tend to go in in pairs though... so it works quite well!

I can whole-heartedly recommend both pump and Containerama pond (£60).

I don't have ducks myself but have looked after them at the farm

Maybe I spoke too soon :lol: ... I now have ducks!

Can waffle a bit more about ponds now :wink: I started off using a little blue paddling pool as they were a surprise so couldn't have got anything before they arrived - it worked well but is only small and shallow, still, easy to clean out because you can just tip it out and rinse.

Now we're using a deep tub trug - I saw 2 for £7 so just bought them :lol:

They were terrified of it at first, but I put Gerald in and he splashed about and Jemima got in.

ducksinsnowpic.jpg

They can jump/flap in without the steps, but I've left them there anyway. To get out they just jump out with a flap, but if the water level gets low I imagine it wouldn't be as easy so may put a wooden ladder in if I can get one small enough!

They will be in with the chickens in the WIR eventually but the 'pond' will be separate at the top of the garden on the patio - easy to drain the water away :)

hi all,

I am just in the process of digging a resin pond for my call ducks I just wondered in the pump in screw fix was any good, I was going to buy the dirty water pump by Karcher, but it said not suitable for ponds, doh! .... lucky I read the small print, in fact many of there pumps were not suitable for ponds, how strange as I thought this would have been the main use for a dirty water pump.

Is the screwfix still the best pump, or can anyone suggest a better one.

Also can anyone post some pictures of home made ponds just to give me some ideas for decoration etc??

Thanks,

marti :D

The reason they state they are not for ponds is two-fold.

1. The inlet is not protected as a normal fish pond filter would be - meaning if you stuck it in a pond, it's likely to turn your prized goldfish into fish fingers! :twisted:

2. It isn't rated to run constantly - I believe they say to only run it for 15 minutes at a time or something similar - then give it 5 minutes to calm down.

I have the Screwfix one, and it's great - have been using it all summer, and it's super! Feathers block it up a bit, but that would be true of all but the biggest pumps.

Has anyone every built a garden pond with a plug? :think: We are planning a biggish pond for the ducks in the back garden but would like to be able to drain it into the burn (at the back of the garden) when necessary withsome sort of "plug". This would mean we wouldn't have to pump it. :pray::dance: Ideas welcome!

JJ

The burn is part of our garden so thinking it should be ok but didn't think of that :doh: will check. We are thinking of a large garden pond with some kind of sump and pipe underground. I know it sounds complicated but was just wondering if anyone else had something similar. It would mean a lot less effort with duck keeping. :D

JJ