patsylabrador

Mrs Beeton

I bought a copy of Mrs Beeton's household management and it is quite funny in places. Apart from a recipe for Leek soup which starts with 'a sheep's head', I found this in the bit about chicken housing -

'the perches must be level,and not one above the other, or unpleasant consequences may ensue to the undermost row'.

I wasn't sure if it was said tongue in cheek but I suspect she was just being Victorian about poo.

I think I'm right in saying she wasn't married either. Her title was made up because they thought it necessary to be married to sell the book. Otherwise there would be lots of wives who thought they would know more about keeping house than Mrs Beeton and they would have been right!

I have Mrs Beeton's Family Cookery which belonged to my Gran.

I think I'm right in saying she wasn't married either. Her title was made up because they thought it necessary to be married to sell the book. Otherwise there would be lots of wives who thought they would know more about keeping house than Mrs Beeton and they would have been right!

I have Mrs Beeton's Family Cookery which belonged to my Gran.

I think she was married, Ginette. I remember a bit in the Victorian Kitchen TV programme about her marrying Samuel Orchard Beeton who was a publisher who urged her to write for his publications. (I think I've watched my DVD too many times :oops::lol: )

There's quite a good biography - The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs Beeton - she was married, but she wasn't an experienced housewife, and the book was really more a collection of helpful hints and other people's recipes and so on.

She had quite a hard life with her husband, money problems and so on - it's an interesting read. I think her husband, as publisher, deliberately promoted this idea of a matronly figure because a book by a young woman in her twenties would have been hard to sell, and he continued promoting this image after her death.

There's quite a good biography - The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs Beeton - she was married, but she wasn't an experienced housewife, and the book was really more a collection of helpful hints and other people's recipes and so on.

She had quite a hard life with her husband, money problems and so on - it's an interesting read. I think her husband, as publisher, deliberately promoted this idea of a matronly figure because a book by a young woman in her twenties would have been hard to sell, and he continued promoting this image after her death.

Clever Hubby!! It sure paid off :D

I heart La Beeton. I have a facsimile edition of HM, and I love it. So much aspic, so little time!

I also have a Beeton sewingy book which I bought at an antique fair in Suffolk, which tickled the ladies who run it so much they had actually note-bookmarked a page with 'knee warmers!!!' which must be knitted in a very specific shade of pink yarn.

Knee warmers. Genius. :D