No, I don't have a skunk roaming around my house!!!!!

However I have been working at Tiggys Pet Stop in Alcester alongside M&S and we recently got skunks, the girl sold really quickly but the boy is left now.

He is absolutely georgeous, he can be a bit jumpy at first when you go near him but he calms down and you can stroke him like a dog or cat. You can take him on walks too, will have to take some pictures next time he goes out.

Let me introduce you to Pepe.....

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/tiggyspetstop/004.jpg

:D How old is he? - Is he descented?

They had a few skunks at Vetsim, and a baby :mrgreen: The babies aren't descented because they made it illegal to do it 2 years ago.

Sorry, couldn't resist :wink: :

meskunk2.jpg

img2951.jpg

I wish there was a good pet shop by us, there used to be a really good one just around the corner with loads of exotics but they closed a few years ago :(:oops:

Ahhh, I didn't know they could do that.

They said you couldn't do it within the EU, and if you managed to get it done in another country you'd have to quarantine them to bring them back to the UK. :think:

I told mother we should get one ... it was a no :lol:

The way they spoke about them at Vetsim it was cared for like a cat rather than a rabbit with a house inside and run outside :)

To descent them you just have remove the scent glands, I personally don't think its cruel, as a pet skunk should never have to use them to protect itself by spraying - unethical maybe but thats a whole different story.

People don't have a problem neutering and there was a dog at the vets having problems with his anal glands and they were thinking about removing those - similar sort of thing?

People don't have a problem neutering and there was a dog at the vets having problems with his anal glands and they were thinking about removing those - similar sort of thing?

neutering is a sensible thing to do and it also avoids other health problems later in the animal's life.

if an animal has a problem with an anal gland then that's a different thing to removing something for the convenience of humans.

I just think we should leave well alone and stop trying to own even more exotic animals that should be living in the wild and that aren't really suited to living in captivity.

You get these fads that result in animals being dumped because people have no idea how to care for them or they get bored with them and unscrupulous breeders and importers cashing in.

I just think there are enough animals out there that need homes, in rescue centres etc, without the pet market introducing yet another breed of animal that should really be living in the wild.

Anal glands - been there done that with the cat :vom: her eyes watered (come to think of it so did mine) :roll:

As much as I really don't want to think about anal glands EVER again, it's good to know someone else has had a cat with problem ones. A vet I took Barney too was insisting that while dogs have problems with them, cats definitely don't!! Absolute rubbish. Problem ones are something I never want to experience again. It really is one of the most horrific things ever :vom: :vom: :vom:

Anal glands - been there done that with the cat :vom: her eyes watered (come to think of it so did mine) :roll:

As much as I really don't want to think about anal glands EVER again, it's good to know someone else has had a cat with problem ones. A vet I took Barney too was insisting that while dogs have problems with them, cats definitely don't!! Absolute rubbish. Problem ones are something I never want to experience again. It really is one of the most horrific things ever :vom: :vom: :vom:

:lol::lol: Me either, I had to look up on you tube how to sort the problem out

I got through half a roll of ktchen roll and felt I had come of age by the time the cat was sorted :shock:

I got through half a roll of ktchen roll and felt I had come of age by the time the cat was sorted :shock:

la la la la *fingers in ears*. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! O M G that is far too much to think about. The vet sorted mine out (well when I say mine I mean Barneys :lol::lol: ) thank goodness. I really don't think I could have coped with watching it on You Tube never mind actually doing the deed myself - it was hell on earth just being in the vets room while it was being done!!! You're a braver woman than I am :lol::lol::clap::clap:

Gross - Brin my old cat (RIP) used to leave skid marks on the carpet when her anal glands were playing up :roll: off to vets we'd go and he offered to show me what to do. Told him in no uncertain terms even as a nurse I was not going near her neither regions and preffered to pay him to do thanks very much. :shameonu:

And I'll bet that OH managed not to be around to help....?

Ruby (the dog) eats lots of bones, so doesn't get anal gland problems, the cats have always seemed OK. *touches wood* :?

Yep, they can be kept like a dog or cat, taken for walks etc. They eat about 90% green stuff and 10% meat, eggs, nuts etc.

People do keep them in the house and they are easily litter trained. Others keep them outside in large dog kennel sort of environments. Just to let you know.

Martin