Christian

'Spooked' Chickens'

Thanks Egluntine, will look further into that, I know AnnieP has one and swears by it.

Well here goes..............

We have moved the run and eglu sideways on to where it was, raked the ground and put fresh auboise down. I have washed the 2 shades (summer and winter) as its possible the fox 'sprayed' them and the girls could smell it ( :?: ) 40C and they came out like new! (Lavender scented to calm their nerves :roll:)

I took the shower curtain off so they could see out of the run a bit more, then hung corn on the cobs in the run to entice them in! It worked, they are in and out of the run! :dance::dance::dance:

Thought I would leave them to it so started stacking logs that we had delivered. Still have a bad back but just took my time. All of a sudden it was dark and I went to get the girls in.

All 3 were tucked up in bed, reading lights off and snoring like angels!!!! They have been avoiding the run and eglu for 2 days now, so hopefully( :pray:) they are over their fear!

Many thanks to everyone who posted, much appreciated! :clap::clap:

8)

Not knowing your layout, have you put something solid at the weakest spot, just in case a fox is nearby. That is, something very heavey where the run meets the Eglu?

I put 2, large and very heavy oak discs (orig bought as stepping stones) either side Sheila, so that should do the trick, i hope.

No Chelsea, no killer rats under the eglu, thank goodness. Was poised with a rake though! :lol:

All very strange - but glad you seem to have got it sorted (whatever it was!)

By the way, our chooks got spooked the other day by...... an egg in the run!! :roll:

I think Maisy's greed for some newly delivered greens overcame her urge to stay on the nest and lay, but then she got 'caught short' whilst eating! Matilda (who's always the noisy one) made the most tremendous fuss! :lol::lol: :lol:

Yes thanks PH a lot less flighty.

Discovered that Laverne's 'pecked' end of tail (where the tail joins her body) isn't just bare, but red and a long lump has appeared :shock: It looks like a ingrown feather but is red and yucky :vom:

Am taking her to the vets tomorrow to see what he says! It wasn't there yesterday as i sprayed her with purple spray, to stop her pecking the area :?

Oh my poor girls, they are such a worry sometimes! But i wouldn't be without them!

Just back from the vets. He was really nice, but admitted he had never had a chicken in his surgery before!

She has an infected preen gland (pineal gland)? So baytril to the rescue! 1/2 tablet twice a day 50mg in total. He says for her weight she needs about 45mg, but the tablets are so small, its difficult to dose.

He is really impressed with the eglu as has seen one on the telly. I offered for him to come over as he is interested in keeping chickens! :)

Just given Laverne 1/2 a tablet hidden in sweetcorn and she ate it straight away. Only 7 more days to go :shock:

Will keep you posted

It is at the base of her tail, but its about 1 1/2 - 2 cm long, red with a white dot on the top :vom::vom::vom: He squeezed it but it didn't seem to bother her as much as it did me :vom: .

I sprayed her again with purple spray (which stained her yellow :shock:) and he asked if she was corn fed as she had yellow skin there? :lol::lol: (just like the chickens in Waitrose i guess) :lol::lol: Bless him, i bet he is on the internet later, looking up chickens! But he was really helpful and thanked me for coming in. Appointment next week to check on her progress.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

We have a family of field mice living under the lawn, next to the chicken area!!!! Well we did have! :shock: I poured water down the hole and they all came running out into next doors garden (who own 6 cats). I will keep pouring water down for the next few days to stop them coming back, but I think that is what spooked the girls so much the other day!

I thought that if it was a rat, then we would notice the pellets going, but a few mice, I guess you wouldn't notice as much!

Hopefully that is it now!