bronze

Which chickens?

Off to choose my chickens on saturday. The worst part is picking which ones.

I would like two different colours that lay different colour eggs (this is for the children of course)

Now the ones that I can remember that he definitely does are

Cochins

Marans

Orpingtons def. buff and blue not sure about others

Rhode Island reds

Welsummers

What do you think my best combination would be? (need two)

Oh, I love choosing new chickens :D:D:D

Problem is that I fall in love with all of them, and then end up leaving with a variety that I never intended to get....... oh, and more than I initially intended :oops: .

I'm no expert on breeds though, but I think that all those hens lay brown eggs, Marans tend to lay dark, glossy reddish bron eggs, Welsommers lay dark brown speckled eggs, and Cochins lay paler brown eggs (that is all according to my chicken encyclopedia :wink: ). Omlet gingernut rangers are a RIR cross, so I'd expect brown eggs from them as well.

Orpingtons are big birds, but very handsome, and again they lay light brown eggs.

For different egg colours you might want to look at Cream legbars and Araucanas for blue eggs, or some of the newer blue egg laying hybrids, the Jasmine and there's another one which I've forgotten now :oops:

White eggs are from White Stars, but I'm not sure which other breeds off the top of my head. Hopefully someone else will be along later and give you some more ideas. Or ask the breeder on Saturday :D:D

Happy hen hunting, and don't forget to come back and tell us what you choose, preferably with photos :wink::D:D:D

For different egg colours you might want to look at Cream legbars and Araucanas for blue eggs, or some of the newer blue egg laying hybrids, the Jasmine and there's another one which I've forgotten now :oops:

Heritage Skylines.... :wink:

Don't fool yourself, you'll never stick at TWO. :shock:

Buff orpingtons are beautiful but very large, if i were you I'd go for a mix of feather and egg colour. Buy two on saturday, buy two more in two months. Then buy a second eglu in the summer :lol:

Anne

Don't fool yourself, you'll never stick at TWO. :shock:

Buff orpingtons are beautiful but very large, if i were you I'd go for a mix of feather and egg colour. Buy two on saturday, buy two more in two months. Then buy a second eglu in the summer :lol:

Anne

No money or space or ground give by husband to allow that to happen. Its taken me 3 years (since we moved here) to convince. Less than one of those knowing about the eglu.

I have threatened him with one more max (one for each child) and he didn't say no :lol: