wendysearle

Dogs and Chickens

Hi - I am considering buying an Eglu, the only thing which is holding me back is my two year old Border Collie. She has excepted my cats, they ignore each other, but she will chase anything that runs!! I appreciate I will have to keep the chickens enclosed in a run when the dog is out and vice versa. Which breed of chicken do you suggest would be best to keep? Which breed would be less intimidated. I live in Devon so will have to source my chickens locally. Any dog/chicken experiences would be most useful to help me decide to go ahead or not. Thanks

Hi Wendy,

My border collieXspringer was bemused by our chickens at first (he also lives with cats) but ignores them now - if anything he is a little scared of them (he is getting on a bit though) Hopefully you should be ok! Do you know whether you could take the dog to visit some before you get them?

I have two dogs: My old Bearded collie x doesn't take a bit of notice, but my :twisted: Airedale terrier would have them as soon as look at them, so its in the run for the girls when she is about. I did aversion therapy on her when we first had them: Squirting her with a water pistol any time she went near their run. I thought they needed to know that they weren't going to be intimidated whilst in there.

She now feigns total disinterest and stays away from their run, but I know she would have them, given half the chance.

Oh, I was going to ask this question as we were thinking of rescuing a greyhound when Evie gets a little bit bigger. Apparently, being gazehounds, they'll go for chickens as soon as look at them. Would a dog go at the run like the foxes do though? The chickens don't like that particularly. In fact, at all.

the chickens have pecked the dogs nose and flap their wings at her - given that she still occasionally chases them - I have to say that they give as good as they get and Rosie treats them with disdain - although on friday she did start eating sweetcorn just so the chickens couldn't!! My two are gingernut rangers from omlet.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me. thinking more last night we often take her for a walk around the local duck ponds, and she ignores the ducks completely but they are mob handed! Just one more question, do rescue battery hens still produce many eggs, not that I intend to go into mass production but the odd egg or two would be nice!

Welcome to the forum Wendy from a fellow Devonian!

I have a huge big fluffy German Shepherd who is as good as gold with my girls. The chickens arent scared of her at all, and they will happily sit/stand next to each other without batting an eyelid. :)

When we throw the ball for the dog in the garden...the chickens and the dog run after it :shock::lol:

My chooks free range all day, and the dog is out in the garden a lot, im always close by, but I wouldnt leave them un-attended for a long period of time (just in case)

We are very suprised our dog took to them so well because she hates cats and anything small and fluffy, I think she is a bit confused to what they actually are.

Plus we have told Bracken the dog that the chickens are her sisters, so they shouldnt fight !!! :lol::lol: