ails

Express Winter cleaning - use the dishwasher

Because of the repeated wash and rinse cycle, items washed in the dishwasher are for all practical purposes sterilised. No residue to worry about re allergies, either.

I had a friend on chemotherapy with reduced immunity and researched it at the time.

But yes, do clean the filters or the grit plays havoc with the subsequent washes!

My 'Express winter cleaning' consists of: poo pick from nestbox, push poo off bars into poo tray, ensure food, water & treats are available, retreat to house. :whistle:

I then empty the poo trays every couple of days or so.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't actually washed my bars in weeks. (Buying a second set sounds like a good idea, so they could be washed in the relative comfort of the garage).

It's a no for the dishy from me too, btw.

If it's raining, I take the bars out and leave them for the rain to wash. Works well enough if I don't have time to do a proper wash. At the moment, I'm a bit like Barkisland and do the minimum. I did run the bars through the snow though this morning. That cleaned them up a bit :lol:

I seem to be the only idiot who spends half an hour every day, cleaning out the eglu. Washing. Scrubbing. Picking up the odd poo that my girls are kind enough to deposit on their hemcore bedding around the aviary and run. To reward me, all the girls one by one stick their heads through the hatch halfway through with the look of a chief maid testing the bannisters for dust.

I have pampered chickens and every morning, I am COLD!!! :shock:

My house however is a proper pickle. :oops:

I must admit my poor girls are neglected at the moment - their eglu and run need a good clean, but my baby is sick and I hate the cold. I keep changing their straw and clearing out some of the poo, I am keeping their food and water topped up and defrosted and trying to give them one hot meal a day but until baby is better and the snow melts they are going to have to cope. I am sure they will all be fine (I hope).

As for the dishwasher I was so tempted but ..........no.