ails

Express Winter cleaning - use the dishwasher

With the dark, wet winter weather well and truly in place and especially this year with the temperature dropping into the minus figures I have tried to think of ways to speed up my weekend eglu clean - mainly because I have to clean the eglu out after I have been up to the stables to muck out my horse and try to ride and I'm then dreaming of retiring to a hot bath.........

I ordered a spare set of roosting bars, quickly scrub off the worst of the poop then pop them into the dishwasher with the glug and grub and hey presto clean roosting bars ready for next weekends clean - cuts out the stage of standing in the garden with the hose pipe and grout cleaning brush to scrub them clean by hand.........

Not sure if using the dishwasher suits everyone but it works for me plus leaves me a bit more time to chat to the chooks and give them a cuddle instead of spending time freezing with the hose pipe and brush :-)

Eeeuwwww! I don't have a dishwasher (other than me and OH!) - but if I did, I don't think I could bring myself to wash grubs and glugs in it, let alone roosting bars :vom: I'd have to rinse it out about 100 times afterwards if I did. Maybe I'm just too sensitive?!

Hmm never tried using the dish washer for the feeders - let alone the roosting bars. I have to confess that I don't do mine weekly - they don't really need it - but I do have banties so less mess

What a fabulous idea...will definitely try that with my glug and grub but don't have a spare set of roosting bars ..yet...will remedy that immediately..off to the Omlet shop!

I'm not at all concerned about the hygiene factor...the dishwasher washes hot and uses caustic...we wash the cat and dog bowls in there with our own stuff routinely and no one has keeled over yet....but I do take the point about the filter!!!

We put the chicken stuff and also the wild bird feeders in the dishwasher, but then we do change the filter after the wild bird feeders and also run a cleaning cycle with dishwasher cleaner afterwards. The cat bowls go in with our stuff.

I think the extra roosting bars would be a good idea, but I don't think the cube ones would fit in our dishwupper.

Eeeuwwww! I don't have a dishwasher (other than me and OH!) - but if I did, I don't think I could bring myself to wash grubs and glugs in it, let alone roosting bars :vom: I'd have to rinse it out about 100 times afterwards if I did. Maybe I'm just too sensitive?!

I must be sensitive too then :vom: