katieD

rabbit lost use of back leg

hi

try to make this short- ive been given a belgium hare which has lost the use of one of its back legs. the previous owner has taken her to the vet several times who says they have done neuro tests etc and she seems to be in no pain with it- happy eating / drinking etc. they rehomed her as she was with another hare that kept chasing her which was makin it worse.

ive only had her a couple of days but im not sure its for the best that she remains with us :(

she hops a few time ok, then her leg gives way and she just sits there unable to move for a bit?

she does seem alert and eating etc, but its just sad to see her like it

what do you think?

It might be worth another vet visit? Maybe the previous owner would go halves? I just feel that there must be a reason that this little one hops for a bit and then stops, although I don't know usual hare behaviour. I'm guessing that you are worried she is in pain and I'm wondering the same. In lieu of a vet visit, perhaps you could talk to the vet on the phone to find out what his/her check up consisted of and what was ruled out.

I know I don't have any real advice but just wanted you to know that I've read your post and hope that you will keep us up to date on how she is doing. :)

is it broken? if so she could be in pain. We have a 3 legged bun and he charges around like a looney. He lost a front leg after the fracture wouldnt heal. I dont know if a back leg problem is worse. I would say make sure if it is broken you find out all your options. we were very mislead and made to feell amputation would be a bad thing. he has a good quality of life and I did chat to the owners of a couple of dogs with 3 legs as i wanted to know if they ie the dogs could cope. I know a rabbit is different but the principles the same. good luck

shes had x rays and vets carried out numerous tests and it all points towards it being a nerve thing? through all the tests carried out the vet assures shes in no pain, she has been on hutch rest (as apposed to having a free run of the summer house!) and it seems to have improved a bit. think maybe it was bad initially as they had just seperated her from the other one that kept ushing her around?

will keep u upto date and thanks for your help :)

we had a rabbit given to us and she'd lost the use of her back leg, it just hung, it didn't bother her at all. we took her to the vet for a different problem and they xrayed her. it seems at some point in her life she'd had an operation and had the ball joint taken off and filed down :!: she was a very happy and healthy rabbit and lived out her life with us. the leg never caused her any problems. :)