gracie

mystery illness?

Hello,

Our chicken named omlet is acting lethargic and hardly moves :( , she closes her eyes and hunches in her neck and just stays there.

Her comb is more purple than the others and she does eat but not as much as normal.

She is doing this all the time!

We dont know whats wrong with her, any ideas would be very appreciated.

thank you

gracie :)

I'm sorry, I would start by checking for common things like making sure you have wormed her, check her for parasites, listen to breathing, check her crop is empty in the morning, look at her stools. It could be lots of things, including a softie on the way. :?

:? as Plum says, it could be anything Gracie, although a purple comb is usually a sign that a hen is cyanosed (lack of oxygen in the blood), usually caused by a dicky heart or a lung condition. I have one who has a dodgy heart and she's nearly 5 years old now.

I see that you live in Oxfordshire - if you're anywhere near Banbury, then PM me and I'd be happy to pop over and look at her for you on the weekend.

I'd start by worming her unless you've done it recently, then give her some Nutridrops

net-tex-nutri-drops-309-p%5Bekm%5D114x160%5Bekm%5D.jpg

As they are brilliant for perking up a poorly hen.

You've hit the nail on the head there - they're intended (I gather) as an intensive pick-up for a poorly bird. Redwing swears by them too.

Two of my girls had a very vicious moult at the end of last year; they looked really dreadful. I sneaked some of this into some wet porridge (rather then subjecting them to handling and syringe drops) and they picked up pretty quickly.