Egluntyne

Naughty kentucky wont go to bed.

For the past 2 nights, Kentucky, who is the daftest friendliest hen in the universe won't go to bed.

Whenever I go out to close the Eglu Doors she comes out crooning and chattering....the others are all snoring.

On Friday night I lured her to the run door and caucht her and put her in the pop hole.

Last night she wasn't having any and my cunning plan was foiled.

We went out last night and when we got back at midnight, I tiptoed out ( as much as it is possible to tiptoe on crunchy snow) and out she came again. I tried everything but she wouldn't co-operate.

I tried again at 1am and still no luck, so I'm afraid I had to leave her, and the others, with the Eglu door open.

Was desperately worried as we have had fox prints in the snow...but I needed some kip!

This morning they were all as large as life and delighted to see me when I went to open the door of the other Eglu. I'm afraid I was rather curt with her! :oops:

I am assuming it is the noise of me trundling across the snow, plus the brightness, even at midnight, of light reflecting off the snow.

I hope she gets out of the habit.

How worried should I be?

Sounds like she's really making you run around after her :lol::lol:

Gwendoline does this too. It's worse if the run door is open too. You think that you have been super quiet and stealthy going across the garden to lock the door and then suddenly out sprints Gwen with her "watcha got for me, gimme some food" little cluckings! :roll:

I now don't turn on the outside light when I go out (just use a torch), and I don't speak to her when she comes running out. She will go into the run if I stand near the door (although often a gentle push is required :wink:). I shine the torch into the eglu through the egg hatch and then start speaking to her and generally she comes in.....and I shut the eglu door quick! 8)

Good luck!

I now don't turn on the outside light when I go out (just use a torch),

And

I shine the torch into the eglu through the egg hatch and then start speaking to her and generally she comes in.....and I shut the eglu door quick! 8)

I use a torch...I even stumbled about in the pitch black last night!

I've tried the torch /pop hole ruse, but ....no good.

Oh dear, hopefully there will be some other suggestions for you to try!

[i went skidding across the garden in the mud last night (eat your heart out Torville and Dean :roll: ), I think Gwen really came out to see what her elegant, graceful owner :liar: was doing making all that racket! :lol: ]

Gone to bed as good as gold tonight.

They did play out for 3 hours today, whereas for the last few days because of the snow, they haven't had the chance, so I'm thinking that this combined with the noise of me crunching across the snow , and the light reflecting from it were collectively the causes of the problem.

She is forgiven!

Edited by Guest