DBarnard

Chickens and Bantams

Hi Debbie :) ,

I feel it would be hard to introduce bantams to an already established flock of large fowl :think: I know some people have bantams and LF together but I think many have had them all at the same time instead of introducing the bantams. With an introduction of hens of any size, there will be some bullying and pecking and the bantams would not cope with this especially in an eglu run.

I agree with Chelsea; its not great having mixed sizes together. Depending on breeds the smalls do tend to be picked on and I wouldn't introduce bantams to an established flock - they are likely to be bullied. The other thing is that the real constraint would be the size of the run rather than the size of the eglu.

To give you a different side i have bantams and LF in together with no problems. However i introduced them slowly and let the bantams decide whether to move in with the big girls or not as they pleased. As somone has said it's more the size of the run thats the issue not the eglu. I'm not sure i'd do it if they were in an eglu run.

I would add that in my case the bantams don't get bullied so much as are bullies. They are currently picking on the bigger chickens terribly.

With all introductions it's not a good idea to shove them in together straight away without going through careful intros because it doesn't really matter what the size of chicken if multiple chooks gang up on it it's going to be hurt. You have to be careful with bantams and pick your bantams carefully but it is doable.

apart from the advice given above to answer your question two bantams would be ok Eglu - size wise

No more at all if you only have the Eglu standard run or even a 3m run

But the advice about mixing should be read and digested, a lot of it comes down to personalities involved, I have one gobby bantam who lives with LF but a good 20 others that i would not put with a LF!

Introductions are important a separate coop and run will be needed for at least a month probably more