Guest chookiehen

New Home Needed...

Just caught up with this thread Shona and feel so angry for you.

When we bought our house we went through the deeds to check we could keep our caravan. We can as long as ten years had passed from when the house was completed. There's also a clause that no work vans, are ever allowed on this part of the estate but there are 3 in the end of our close alone!

We questioned this with our solicitor and she was brilliant. Nothing much could ever happen - if the neighbours wanted to complain they would have to go to a solicitor who would write you a strongly worded letter but in essence there's not a lot that can be done without HUGE expense.

Keep your chickens Shona, I cannot see anyone complaining about it. Send the boys round if they do!!

As for us being allowed to keep chooks.......best go check the deeds again!...whoops! :wink:

A

xx

I think the critical question is whether the house is new-built, or an old house.

If the restrictive covenants are ancient and "Ooops, word censored!"ody takes any notice of them, then keep your chickens.

But if it is a new house and this covenant has been newly written, you should obey it, otherwise it would not be fair on your neighbours who were expecting to move to a pet-free environment. Some people don't like animals, or have phobias about birds, or are just worried about rats and foxes.

It is your solicitor who should have informed you of this covenant: that is why you are paying him! I well remember sitting in front of my solicitor while he read out all the covenants on my house to me. Perhaps you should take yours to the Legal Complaints Service on grounds of negligence.

If it's any consolation to you, the Bishop of Oxford was not able to move to his new home in Headington because he wasn't told about the restrictive covenants on it either. These had been put on twenty years or so ago and were still considered important: they stopped him building any offices in the grounds.