Guest chookiehen

New Home Needed...

The system up here is different Sarah, you can't just pull out at the last minute the sale becomes legally binding in theory as soon as an offer is accepted :roll:

There are exceptions of course if you put a clause into the offer of 'subject to survey' you can get out BUT only if the survey finds something :evil:

It will depend on the rights given the question was asked :cry: The estate agent was clearly at fault but not the person actually selling the house so it is very much a grey area :evil:

The system up here is different Sarah, you can't just pull out at the last minute the sale becomes legally binding in theory as soon as an offer is accepted :roll:

There are exceptions of course if you put a clause into the offer of 'subject to survey' you can get out BUT only if the survey finds something :evil:

It will depend on the rights given the question was asked :cry: The estate agent was clearly at fault but not the person actually selling the house so it is very much a grey area :evil:

I was thinking along the lines of breach of contract as the conditions aren't as agreed, or Shona was mislead. If you make a fuss with the company it may be hard to sneak chickens in later though. :?

Thanks for all your kind words - I'm very upset, and in a quandry now as to what to do. I've had several offer from people who can 'chicken-sit' for a few months, and Louise knows a chap that could take them and rehome them with his chickens should we need it. I would like to think that we could perhaps get someone else to watch them for a while, until we got to know the neighbours, but we whipped our house from the grasps of at least two other couples, who may well end up being our neighbours, and who may well harbour a grudge, I just don;t know yet.

I need to speak to our solicitor again, and see how we go.

Thanks again for all the kind words. :(

Oh Shona you must be so upset, I know I am for you :(

I wish I had the space to look after them for however long it takes you to get the matter resolved. As soon as I read your post I rushed out into the garden to see if I could squeeze them in somewhere, but with 2 children, 2 dogs and a cat I just can't do it :cry:

I hope your solicitor can help you :pray:

So sorry about this Shona, you must be furious! I certainly wouldn't rush to get rid of your lovely girls..... test the solicitor out first, then speak to the company involved: Hardly ethical or green not allowing people to have chooks! Are they going to stop you from having a veggie patch in the back garden too??

In the meantime, put them into foster care until you get to be settled and know the neighbours, who are going to want to get along with you too! Remember they might be new and want pet rabbits/ tortoises etc! No pets is ridiculous!

Oh, Shona, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Flaming developers :evil: , and mis-selling estate agents :twisted: . It must take the gloss off your lovely new home.

Good luck with whatever you decide, fostering or moving them out permanently, I'm sure you'll be able to find them a fabulous new home............................. but I can't believe you have to do it :shock::twisted::twisted:

Oh Shona i have just caught up with this thread.

I would be hopping mad :x:x:x what a stupid situation - a 'green' house but no chickens - thats insane! :x:x

Please try and battle on for your girls, knock on everyones door and beat them into submission (not literally - save that as a last resort!)

I do hope things work out for you.

Shona please keep your girls. What a daft clause for the house builders to put in - I can't believe that families with kids are not going to bring in guinea pigs or rabbits. I would be tempted to move the chickens with you, and only respond if anyone complains in the future. I'm with the others - don't ask - don't tell, and am about to build a chicken pen on my livestock free vegetable plot (they are pet chickens not Bernard Matthews). :roll: Big hug for you and the girls

What about cats and dogs...have they put a ban on them too.

I agree with this sentiment. What about cats? At least my chickens don't c**p in the neighbour's garden!

So sorry to hear about the news Shona, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out in your favour xx

Shona please keep your girls. What a daft clause for the house builders to put in - I can't believe that families with kids are not going to bring in guinea pigs or rabbits. I would be tempted to move the chickens with you, and only respond if anyone complains in the future. I'm with the others - don't ask - don't tell, and am about to build a chicken pen on my livestock free vegetable plot (they are pet chickens not Bernard Matthews). :roll: Big hug for you and the girls

I completely agree !!

Cant believe you cant even keep rabbits/guinea pigs etc.

like you say - hardly green is it?? :evil:

I would ignore everything they are telling you and take your chickens with you, especially when they said it would be ok in the 1st place.

how annoying :evil:

We went for a visit to the new house today, peered through the window, climbed over the fence to peek in the kitchen, that sort of thing :oops: . We had hoped that our next door neighbours might already have moved in, but all the houses are still empty, so we couldn;t go knock on the door and introduce ourselves, and see what they were like.

Anyway, the area to the side of the house that is ours, is larger than we thought it was, and would have enough room for the chooks and for chookiehubbies bike, so we are considering having someone take them for a couple of months, then we'll sneak them in the garden when no-one is looking. If we have them at the side, then they can't be seen from anyone elses garden, or windows, so we could be ok.

Fingers crossed!