SarahCavy

How long do chickens tend to live for?

Neither of our hybrids (Isa Browns) lived to reach two but laid eggs for England but our Light Sussexes are coming up for three and looking very young and fit. Currently, they are grudgingly letting us have 3-5 eggs a week between them and this after a longish moulting and recovery time.

I've been a bit worried by the number of posts about poorly chickens, chickens found dead for no reason, or seeing from signatures that some people lost their chickens within months of arrival.

I wonder if it's partly because posts are more likely to be from people who've got a problem, rather than people who are happily living with their Eglu and chickens without any worries. It has made me a bit apprehensive about how long my (very new) ladies are going to last!

Interesting point about the hybrids living shorter lives because of the egg-production. I guess everything comes at a price!

Maybe I should stop surfing the 'Chicken Clinic' site; I may turn my girls into hypochondriacs by proxy!

Olly, you are right: All posts in the chicken clinic are for poorly girls, and many people only ever register when there is a problem!

I'm touching wood here, but I have had my girls nearly 2 years and it has been plain sailing health wise. Most of us are the same, apart from the odd worry with sniffles, concerns about worming, feather loss and occasional drop in egg production etc oh, and poo colour ....... :roll::lol:

Relax and enjoy your chooks! 8)

Edited by Guest

Phew, thanks - that is very reassuring! I am only just into week two, and at the moment it's still a matter of wonder to me that they are alive every morning and ready to burst out of the Eglu! So far, looking after them has been much easier than I anticipated although I still have the first Eglu Clean to look forward to. :)

I know anything can happen, but it's great to hear from someone who hasn't had any problems.

olly, I've only had mine since Christmas day, but they've been fighting fit, with no problems and an absolute joy (and today was my first day with 2 eggs as Mabel started laying).

I think you're right that the posts on the clinic give a bias view of their health. Perhaps we should focus more on the daily, unremarkable good health of our girls,

I agree it can be a bit daunting. Only at the beginning of the week I was worrying myself stupid there was something wrong with Sam because she was quiet.....yes - just quiet :roll::roll::lol:

but she was fine !!

I swear my chickens have a bigger "medicine cupboard" than we do - as I have stocked up on all "chicken" tonics, potions, lotions, for "just in case" :lol:

We've had our girls since August since they were 8 weeks old and TOUCH WOOD - no problems as of yet, thank goodness. :)

I do believe in prevention rather than cure though - so we ensure the girls always have a clean eglu, regularly wormed, using lice and redmite powders and poultry spice etc etc. Phew !!

I started a couple of years ago, and apart form Layla being scared to death by a fox, mine have been ok (touches wood quickly).

Like most fowl, chickens have (what Kate calls) a light hold on life, meaning that they aren't as robust as your cats and dogs. Having said that, I have had tons of enjoyment out of my flock, with the odd problem and journey to the vet. You tend to learn by experience, and common sense, plus the wealth of knowledge available here on the forum.

They are so enjoyable and fulll of fun, I must say that they are probably the first pets that I have had, which have enriched my life so much by teaching me about food provenance and agricultural welfare.

I've had a couple of chicken health worries, but nothing terribly exciting and please don't get it out of perspective. Like all living creatures chickens are susceptible to illness, but no more than any other creature. I'd guess that you could get chickens more prone to illness than others, just like you can with humans, or cats or dogs, but generally they're pretty sturdy animals.

I think that maybe the difference is that with sick hens/ concerned owners often vets aren't that knowledgeable about hens and we turn to each other for help/ support/ advice when we're concerned about our chickens. There's no substitute for good veterinary input with an ill hen of course, but with a mildly off colour one the advice of those who've been there before can be invaluable. A bit like the Mums network at the local pre-school nursery with advice on headlice, chickenpox and so on.......... they give the "been there done that" advice that most GP's forget about :wink:

Please don't allow worries about possible future health worries to stop you enjoying your hens. OK, they won't live for ever, but they'll have a wonderful life in your back garden, they'll brighten your days no end and give you fabulous eggs.

Enjoy them.......... and don't worry :D:D:D

Olly

Relax :D

Yes, we do have worries but I think that we probably worry more than others as they are PETS not just egg machines - most people I know cant believe that we take our chooks to the vets.

Dont forget that quite a few of us have adopted ex batteris - and they have had a pretty rotten life so may not live as long - but BOY do they have the time of their life when they come to live with us :D

Like other Omleteers, at first I wondered why there seemed to be so many ill chickens and worried owners...but soon realised that the forum was a sounding board for owners to get reassurance and advice from like minded folk.

The chickens who are fit and and healthy seldom get a mention in the Clinic area, and far outnumber the off colour ones anyway.

Don't worry....relax and enjoy them.

Babs our Miss Pepperpot is about 2 1/2 years old and is excellent health, although she only lays about 4 eggs a week and always has done :D:D

We sadly lost Ginger last year - she was nearly 2 years old. She had egg peritonitus but had been in great health all her life laying an egg virtually everyday that we had her :D

Twinkle and Belle are about 10 months.

Twinkle is very fit and healthy and has laid an egg everyday since we got her last September.

Belle is special, she was the 'runt of litter' and we always knew that we may well have problems with her health which has been made harder to deal with because she has the best character of all my girls and has found a special place in my heart which makes it all the more hard when she's ill (which she has been lately).

Enjoy you chooks and try not to worry - if we all posted about our girls good health the forum would have crashed before it even started :D:D

well thank you all for being so reassuring. I must say that this forum is one of the best things about owning an Eglu (apart from having hens in the garden, of course!) and it was reading the postings on here that convinced me I could actually keep chickens, despite having zero experience.

As every day goes by I am getting a bit more confident about it all, and I am amazed to find that even going up the garden in my wellies at 7.00 am is quite enjoyable! It will be even better when the eggs arrive, of course. Thank you for all the helpful replies and comments.

You wait until Summer arrives. It's even better! Especially being able to spend times with the chooks after work when it's light in the evenings!! :P I miss my girls in the winter. Dark before and after work. I only really see them at weekends!

I've been lucky, my girls health is fine. They are about 3 years old. The only problem I had, was one hot day when their water had ran out, and Henrietta was a little dehydrated. Worried me sick at the time, but after hand feeding her some water, and giving her some TLC she was as right as rain again.

They're tough little things really!

Our average is only a few months :cry: though Pepper (hybrid) has been with us for 18 months now, Elisa and Matilda (pure breeds) for nearly 6 months and 2 months respectively.

We have lost 1 of each "pair" quite soon after homing them (only 9, 4 and 2 months) - beginning to feel quite useless :(

However, I have read that some pure breeds can live to about 10-12 years old, and hybrids to about 4-5 years. I live in hope.