Reikiranf

Houdini Chickens!

We got two new girls to keep Lulu company today, sadly Lulu wasn't pleased to see them and pecked them and jumped on them Kung Fu style a couple of times, she didn't hurt the new girls :) just herself as she is now limping a bit :(

So we threaded over 20 bamboo canes through the run horizontally and then vertically to hold them in place, it looked very neat and Lulu and the newbies seemed happy in their respective runs, however once Lulu was back in the cage in the conservatory for the night DH shouted to me to come quickly, I ran out in a panic only to find that one of the new girls had got through the bamboo canes into Lulu's end of the run :shock: We stood there wondering how she'd done it as the canes weren't moved & then the other one did it! She put her head through the canes lifted them up a bit & squeezed through :lol: We were surprised that they could get through such a small gap.

It solved the problem of how to get them into the Eglu as we picked them up & popped them in through the egg port.

they r funny arent they.

we have 4 and they kept escaping their pen.

so we had to raise the height of one 'fence'. this stopped them for a while.

Now we get one girl that escapes about once a week. The other 3 cluck at her enjoying the fresh grass - they sound quite annoyed at her, but don't follow her.

Also no matter how much we watch, she never escapes when anyone is watching. its always the same chook.

so we have begun the process of making the other side of their pen higher and we assume this will do the trick, but can't be sure as we dont know where she escapes from!!

Torylou

DH put the girls in their respective sides of the run this morning & I got worried about Lulu having nowhere to hide if the fox came along so I went out to get a small cat carrier to put in her end of the run & found all 3 girls in Lulu's end so I took away the pointless partition and left them to it, they're ok most of the time until Lulu turns into psycho chicken and goes on the attack for no reason :(

Apart from going out for an hour this morning I've done nothing except watch the girls as I'm scared Lulu will really hurt them, I'm hoping they settle down soon, I'm finding it so stressfull :oops: Goodness knows how they must feel, does anyone have any idea if Lulu's behaviour (jumping on them & pecking them and hanging on when they run away) is normal?

Apart from going out for an hour this morning I've done nothing except watch the girls as I'm scared Lulu will really hurt them, I'm hoping they settle down soon, I'm finding it so stressfull :oops: Goodness knows how they must feel, does anyone have any idea if Lulu's behaviour (jumping on them & pecking them and hanging on when they run away) is normal?

Yeah it's normal. My lot do this whenever there is a new chicken introduced is quite funny to watch a pekin trying to do this to a Rhode Island or a Dorking. Provided she isn't continuously doing this and isn't actually pulling feathers out i wouldn't worry. It can be really stressful to watch though. If you can and you can watch them it might be worth letting them have a little free range as it will give the newbies a chance to relax a tad.

ha! she wins... for now!!!

so we added screening 2m high to the area we think the chicken 'jumping' over, only to find on our return from blue water this morning that she'd escaped... again.

so i have checked and clipped BOTH her wings, and will set to adding the other length of screening we bought!