Which do you think is the best material to use in the run  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the best material to use in the run

• Bark
    • Woodchip
    • Hemcore or eco equivalent
    • Other

I am busy making most of my garden into a chicken fortress after losing both our girls to the neighbours dog when it broke into our garden a month ago (They still haven't appologised). Then we are hopefully getting some rescue girls! I have decided to build a permanent area for the eglu and want to use bark over the soil. The last time i used bark in the garden from B & Q I remember it stank for weeks almost as badly as manure. Is this still the case or was I unlucky with my 10 bags? As the area is right by my back door and soon to be new decking area I would like a none smelly variety! Any suggestions and where to purchase nice bark from would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Sandy

Well, I disagree with Martin on this one.

For a walk in pen bark is great.I use mini bark as opposed to the chunky stuff as it seems easier for them to kick it about.

My girls have been in a big pen with bark for over a year now & we have yet to do a full empty & replacement, but have done a couple of top-ups.

They like it even more when the bark gets all thrown to the sides,exposing the earth underneath which they dig dustbaths in :D

Well it may depend on the size of the run but I do actually agree with Martin :wink::lol: I've ordered wood chips from our local tree surgeon but that's useful martin about B&Q. I've used bark Sarah for the last nearly 2 years and find it pretty hopeless. I noticed Omlet now suggest wood chips.

There that's confused everyone

happy run making :D:D

I asked on Practical Poultry and the consensus was bark was damp and went mouldy and wood chips were better.

About disposal they said it doesn't rot down readily, but can be taken to recycling tip and put in with the gardening waste, or used as a mulch around plants.

About obtaining: "I have bought mine from local sawmills, and log merchants. Just go or phone to ask what is available. Expect to pay about £1 a bag, or for free if you're lucky!"

I asked on Practical Poultry and the consensus was bark was damp and went mouldy and wood chips were better.

My pen has a roof - maybe thats why the bark stays in good condition for so long?

What exactly is woodchip - will it have splintery bits - will it stick to wet crocs & get walked into the house -anyone got a photo?

As I am emptying & re laying the pen soon,I would like to know in case its a better option for us :P

My ideal would be Aubiose,as I really like the stuff, but it is a nightmare when you walk down the garden then into the pen with wet feet - it really sticks to your shoes.If we didn't have a walk-in pen,thats what we would use.

My ideal would be Aubiose,as I really like the stuff, but it is a nightmare when you walk down the garden then into the pen with wet feet - it really sticks to your shoes.If we didn't have a walk-in pen,thats what we would use. [/color]

That's why I have two pairs of crocs - one indoors and one out!!

Just need a pair for the cat now - as she also has Aubiose in her litter tray :roll:

I used woodchip as it was all I could get at the time, but I wish I'd used Aubiose - I have bought some since and it's brilliant. It would also be easier to see my girls from the house if I had that, as it's a lighter colour - they don't show up too well against the woodchip!

When we first got the chooks we used bark chippings. I now use aubious and I definitely prefer this and so do the chooks. The wood chips were slimy/mouldy/smelly and that's on opening the pack (took it straight back to the shop).

We've now completed the Hen Hilton (18' x 9') walk-in run and the aubious works great. We have had torrential down pours here for weeks but the run is lovely and dry for their little feet - and they love scattering and rolling about in it.