Blackrocksrock

for those with a rat problem

Oh lord tell me it worked!! - I have eradibait baited 2 holes 4 times today and they have taken it into the holes _ i did it with nutella on the outside of the cling film and they love it = trouble is I have been doing this for 7 days and they should all be dead by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had 1 in a trap and it was a young one and they then ate the plastic round the baiting chamber to get the nutella! I am almost giving up

edited to add

We caught them climbing up the tree to get the peanuts for the birds and they were sitting in the tree eating them - the cats were going mad - we now feed the birds from a flimsy branch!! The rat fell off as could not reach the nuts. What fun 6 feet from my kitchen door!

The thing is they are nowhere near the hens now and cannot get their food at all so why of why do they stay - I read about giving them flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda dry mix and they blow up -=- would that not be something - only problem is there would be nutella everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Seriously they are a menace and have a man with terriers ready to come when I think they are getting under control as I have one lot in a compost bin!

I love the obese rat - ours on a video up the tree are quite big - fat on nuts!

We had a problem with rats too... :( I tried so many different things to stop them getting to the chicken area and their food. I trapped them, used poison, shot them, anything I could think of. I got so obsessed with getting rid of them, I was keeping a count on my blog @ http://stinkycabbage.blogspot.com/ of how many I had bagged! :shock:

In the end, I gave up trying to kill them, as there was always more to replace them... so in the winter I dug into the chicken area about 6 inches down (they were digging in; no other way into the area for them) and chicken wired the base of the chicken area and attached to the sides. Then put the earth back in on top. The chickens can scratch and the rats can't get in. No rats for 5 months now and with the lack of food, they have moved off elsewhere.

blog.bmp

My lesson is; stop them getting to the food any way you can and they will go away to easier food sites. Good luck... :)

Well done at getting rid of them - Mine cannot get into the hen run and its been the peanuts and think they have eaten them for a long time - we are hoping as they are eating the stuff and nothing else that they will go away - they have 3 holes - one at a compost bin - one under a tub which I am sure links to the bin and another at the side of the house which again I think links all 3 of them and I am hounding them with bait so heres hoping!

I bought one. Cost me 20 quid, and I'm sorry to say I never managed to catch a thing with it.

I actually think that the mechanism on mine is too stiff, as the bait has been removed without it firing numerous times.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with yours.

Just building a new WIR and that has been our biggest concern/consideration; my husband is now obsessed with the rats (we also live by a river!!) as he watches them popping out from under the rabbit run and sits there plotting their demise (but getting out-smarted everytime). Building a run with a concrete slab floor now, as they actually tunnelled up to and under a small area that was just soil! As a last resort I went to a cat rescue place and got a big, black, scary looking cat with megga attitude. The cat now spends most of her days on my bed, whilst the rats eat....

Been told by a pest control guy at work that rats wont take bait if there is ANYTHING else for them to eat. Think I am going to go the same was as Snowcloud and just remove their food source.

Hmm - be interested if it works too. We don't have rats at home, but we do elsewhere. We have used Eradibait and they have eaten it. We got one in a trap and the guy who does vermin control for the local farmers managed to shoot another one - he reckoned it was sluggish and may have been affected by Eradibait.

We have stopped them entering our building by blocking up potential entry points with concrete, but you can't always do this. Just hope this new method works!