MadAboutChooks

One refuses to go to bed

Hi, I have just introduced 3 new chooks to my original 3. One of the new chooks a young columbine since the introductions seems reluctant to go to bed at night and instead rests on top of the cube :roll: . Before Introductions she would go into the cube. The problem I think is that she is waiting for all the other chickens to go to bed, then it is so dark that she seems to go all sleepy and forget to go into the cube. for almost 10 days now I have been lifting her in when it is dark. Any sugestions how I can get her to go in herself I dont like to leave her out there on her own. :(

I had a problem with one chook who forgot to go to bed, then it got too late and she roosted in the hedge, unbeknownst to us. Of course when we went to do the usual headcount before closing the Eglu door for the night we were frantic and it took hours to find her :roll:

What we started doing after that is, about 30 mins before it even starts to get dark, we throw corn into the run. They all go into the run to eat the corn and we shut the run door behind them. Then when we went to shut the Eglu door they would always be asleep in the correct location!

I added 3 to my lonely Pepperpot who likes to be in charge. 1 of the new ones tries to sleep outside the Eglu at the top of the ladder. My Eglu is in a WIR on a frame with ladder access. I just shove her in when I shut the door.All 4 go in to lay but when they were first introduced Ginger wouldn't let any of them into the Eglu at night so I had to put all 3 to bed. Hopefully the outside 1 will move in of her own accord soon. Good luck with yours.

It's musical bedtimes with my chickens. There are two coops inside a walk in run. There is also a pyramid perch system in the middle of the run. Currently the three small chickens perch and sleep at the highest point of the pyramid. My orpy sleeps below them and occassionaly an ex batt will join them. The rest of the chickens are shared between the two coops, but as to which they choose seems to depend on their mood.